PDA

View Full Version : JBL Reliance(Radiance?) 133

intotubes
02-21-2006, 09:48 AM
What are these? Are they worth restoring? What years were they made?
Looks like maybe dual 10" woofers.
Any help?
I've got a line on a couple.
Thanks

*edit* After a little research I think these are Radiance R133. Any opnions?
Worth messing with?

edgewound
02-21-2006, 10:23 AM
The only thing worth messing with is the LE25 tweeters. Pretty much JBL's first foray into "entry level". Save your time and money to get something better.

intotubes
02-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks edgewound.
The HF driver needs refoaming. Seller suggested replacing with a radio shack driver.:blink:

I'll let them go.
http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/135708399.html

edgewound
02-21-2006, 10:51 AM
You're welcome....keep in mind that most things JBL worth looking at in the used market mid-1990's back to the 70's are the "L" series home hi-fi speakers and the 4400/4300 series Pro studio monitors. These lines share a lineage of the good cast aluminum frame mids and woofers and are kind of like cousins aimed at different markets....they shared, pretty much, all the same drivers...JBL's best of the period. Though the L-1,3,5,7 didn't share with the studio monitor's other than the 035ti(a) tweeter. The 044ti wasn't in studio monitors either. Hope that helps with your search.

If you like ass kicking pro-style stuff, the "Cabaret" 46xx series is still some real sleeper values...especially the 4628. That's a popular one around here.

JBLnsince1959
02-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Bottom-line...they're crap

I'll let them go.

smart move....
edgewound said it best...

Studiomaster
03-05-2006, 10:57 AM
The only thing worth messing with is the LE25 tweeters. Pretty much JBL's first foray into "entry level". Save your time and money to get something better.
I would second this.

I worked as a salesman at a JBL retailer in the late 70s and early 80s, about the time when these Radiance speakers first came out. They were nothing but trouble back then, and I think they tarnished JBLs image to some extent.

I have only recently gotten back into the audio market, upgrading my receiver & CD player, and refoaming my L40s, so I'm pretty new to this forum. Actually, I'm amazed at the number of L series and 4300 models that seem to be alive and kicking (although I always knew they were terrific products that were built to last).