PDA

View Full Version : New posts disappears

Rolf
02-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi. When I (like just now) have been writing an answer to a post, enter the main forums, the bold text witch indicates new unread posts is gone. This is the same way every time I use quite some time to reply, and not when I read posts quickly. Why is this happening??

Rolf

norealtalent
02-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Mices. They hate us 4343 owners because we don't offer them a cabinet or 2 for a nap.;)

johnaec
02-21-2006, 07:03 AM
I believe that after 10 minutes the forum automatically assumes you've read all the un-read messages, and marks them that way. I've run into the same problem. I'd prefer it set to something more like 30 minutes, or not set at all, like some other forums I visit, (you can manually mark them as read). That way, if you read only a few messages, leave, then come back a few hours later, you can take up where you left off. I much prefer the forums that work this way, leaving it up to the user which messages to mark, instead of doing it automatically for you if you don't do it manually.

John

Rolf
02-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Mices. They hate us 4343 owners because we don't offer them a cabinet or 2 for a nap.;)

So witch speaker do you recommend me to buy to stop this?:D

Rolf

Rolf
02-21-2006, 02:11 PM
I believe that after 10 minutes the forum automatically assumes you've read all the un-read messages, and marks them that way. I've run into the same problem. I'd prefer it set to something more like 30 minutes, or not set at all, like some other forums I visit, (you can manually mark them as read).

John

Can this be done on this forum? and if so...how?

Rolf

johnaec
02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Can this be done on this forum? and if so...how?

RolfIt's up to the webmaster to make the changes.

John

johnaec
03-18-2006, 09:40 AM
'Just wanted to bring this back to the top, since it happened to me again. While reading messages, I opened another window to some other sites to do some research for a certain post, and by the time I switched back, (about 10 minutes), no posts were left marked as "New", so I had to go through looking at post date/time to find the new posts I hadn't seen.

Could we please change the time to something longer, like 30 minutes, before posts are automatically marked as "read"?

John

Don McRitchie
03-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Done. BTW, if there is an occasion when a time out has automatically set all forums to "read", you can still use the "Today's Posts" feature under "Quick Links" to give you a chronological listing of all new posts over the past 24 hrs.

johnaec
03-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Don!

John

Titanium Dome
03-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Done. BTW, if there is an occasion when a time out has automatically set all forums to "read", you can still use the "Today's Posts" feature under "Quick Links" to give you a chronological listing of all new posts over the past 24 hrs.

That helps a lot for slow readers/writers like me. Thanks.

Rolf
03-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Thanks Don.:applaud:

Don McRitchie
03-19-2006, 01:24 AM
I have made a subsequent change to how the forum marks posts as read. The recently installed upgrade of this forum software has a new feature that allows tracking of read posts in the database as opposed to using a time out. Posts will not be marked as read unless you actually read them or use the "Mark All Posts Read" feature no matter how long you are idle online. The first time that you access the forum subsequent to this change, virtually all threads will be marked as unread. I would suggest clearing this with the "Mark All Posts Read" feature and then only new posts should show up. Coincident with this change, I have reset the cookie idle time back to 10 minutes since the longer 30 minute time was making the "Whose Online" feature useless.

johnaec
03-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Don - you might want to make some sort of sticky announcement in the main General JBL forum to help prevent initial shock, as many might not get down to this forum for quite a while.

And Thanks! for all the fine-tuning you're doing!

John

Titanium Dome
03-19-2006, 05:37 AM
That explains a lot about my current visit. Thanks for the update.