PDA

View Full Version : JBL 250TI or Olympus s7?

Mike33
02-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Both approx the same price, any good? Opinions?

JBL Olympus S7 speakers These are custom made cabinets with K145 JBL 15\" woofers, 2420 JBL driver w. 2307 horn and 2308 lens. The crossover is a JBL 3110.

TIA

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 08:30 PM

JBL Olympus S7 speakers These are custom made cabinets with K145 JBL 15\" woofers, 2420 JBL driver w. 2307 horn and 2308 lens. The crossover is a JBL 3110.

TIA

I'm sure superbee will jump in here quick to defend his beloved Olympus. Rightfully so, too...

However, the 250Ti is the JBL hallmark of quality, and HIGHLY coveted. Owners of the 250Ti ane the envy of many. Dude, the info is everywhere! :p

Mike33
02-20-2006, 08:36 PM
I hear you on the info, but its hard to pinpoint information when you are not familier with all the part numbers of drivers/crossovers etc.

For instance these Olympis have one large driver, the ones i found online have 2.....just want to be sure.

jbl4ever
02-20-2006, 08:40 PM
FWIW the S7 will have more SPL but the TI250's will smoke that combination of drivers in frequency extremes, imaging and soundstage:bouncy:

JuniorJBL
02-20-2006, 08:44 PM
250's have 1 big driver (one of there best) 1 med size driver 1 smallish driver and a little itty-bitty driver. That is 8 drivers in a pair....

Just joking dude! I really like my 250's and I just do not go for the older styles of cabs.
But that IMO.
The LE14x (woofer in the 250's)is one of JBLs best drivers ever made.;)

Mike33
02-20-2006, 08:50 PM
FWIW the S7 will have more SPL but the TI250's will smoke that combination of drivers in frequency extremes, imaging and soundstage:bouncy:

What is SPL?

jbl4ever
02-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Sound pressure level the S7 have a higher sensitivity TI250 around 90db for 1 watt and S7's 94 to 95 db

Mike33
02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Oh ok.

Thanks.
Pictures of the 250Ti will not be available untill next week.
Asking price is $1800 Canadian and $2000 for the Olympis......steep??

SUPERBEE
02-20-2006, 09:11 PM
I hear you on the info, but its hard to pinpoint information when you are not familier with all the part numbers of drivers/crossovers etc.

For instance these Olympis have one large driver, the ones i found online have 2.....just want to be sure.

Thats not an Olympus cabinet in your post

But if you can find a set of these.....

http://www11.plala.or.jp/se_ke5583/JBL/speaker/olympus.JPG

For a good price..........FOR GODS SAKES MAN BUY THEM!!!!!

IMHO

Zilch
02-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Mike, those are not Olympus, but rather, the smaller Apollo style cabinets.

The drivers in them are not S7, which would be LE15A, LE85, HL91, and LX5 crossovers.

The system you've described is worth about half the asking price, if the seller were truthful about what they actually are.

Also, I think I'm seeing a foam surround on the woofers. Those would not be K145's either, if so.

Even if they WERE S7, they would not approach the 250Ti in performance, no way.

Better come back here with pics of the "250Ti" if they're from the same seller....

SUPERBEE
02-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Mike, those are not Olympus, but rather, the smaller Apollo style cabinets.

The drivers in them are not S7, which would be LE15A, LE85, HL91, and LE5 crossovers.

The system you've described is worth about half the asking price, if the seller were truthful about what they are....

Is this the same load for all the 50s early 60s S7s?

And the S7R has the passive radiator and the bullet tweeter like the ones I have pictured

Zilch
02-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Is this the same load for all the 50s early 60s S7s?

And the S7R has the passive radiator like the ones I have picturedYes. Some very early ones might have different driver designations, maybe, but clearly, Mike's looking at a DIY version using later, less valuable Pro components.

We can estimate how MUCH later from the introduction date of 3110 crossovers in the library catalogs.

It's unclear what the woofer actually is.

S7R would not have the bullet tweeter either, except if it were added as an optional upgrade. S8 with 375 had the 075 bullet standard, and the additional N7000 crossover to drive it.

So, you've pictured Olympus S8R.

Crossover is LX5. Typo....

SUPERBEE
02-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Yes. Some very early ones might have different driver designations, maybe, but clearly, Mike's looking at a DIY version using later, less valuable Pro components.

We can estimate how MUCH later from the introduction date of 3110 crossovers.

It's unclear what the woofer actually is.

S7R would not have the bullet tweeter, except if it were added as an optional upgrade. S8 with 375 had the 075 bullet standard, and N7000 crossover to drive it.

So, you've pictured Olympus S8R.

Crossover is LX5. Typo....

TY!

Was there an "S8" load ?

Zilch
02-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Yes, S8 was available, early.

Later, only the "R" versions were offered....

SUPERBEE
02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes, S8 was available, early.

Later, only the "R" versions were offered....

What was in the S8 load and was there any signifigance to the woofers with blue baskets?

Zilch
02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
S8 was LE15A, 375, HL93, LX5, N7000, 075.

Blue drivers are "early," and considered more valuable. I don't know what year the color switched. Some in that era had a mixture of driver colors.

There's a recent thread discussing these transitions, in the last several weeks, I believe....

SUPERBEE
02-20-2006, 10:34 PM
S8 was LE15A, 375, HL93, LX5, N7000, 075.

Blue drivers are "early," and considered more valuable. I don't know what year the color switched. Some in that era had a mixture of driver colors.

There's a recent thread discussing these transitions, in the last several weeks, I believe....

Zilch....Thanks again. You guys are always so helpfull

I will stand by my early S7 Olympus as the most perfect Rock & Roll speakers that I know

Now where can I find a good set of early Hartsfield's?

Mr. Widget
02-20-2006, 10:45 PM

TIAMike, as others have said, the S7 would have a very tough time competing with the 250Ti. Undoubtedly there are some who would prefer the S7, but the fact that your system is in a custom cabinet really diminishes it value... also the S-7 came with the LE15A, LE85, HL91, and an N series crossover. Beyond that, the one pictured doesn't even have a K145. If the basket says K145, it is a real frankenwoofer... avoid this system!

Widget

SUPERBEE
02-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Mike, as others have said, the S7 would have a very tough time competing with the 250Ti. Undoubtedly there are some who would prefer the S7, but the fact that your system is in a custom cabinet really diminishes it value... also the S-7 came with the LE15A, LE85, HL91, and an N series crossover. Beyond that, the one pictured doesn't even have a K145. If the basket says K145, it is a real frankenwoofer... avoid this system!

Widget

Widget

I guess I am going to have to give the 250Ti's another listen.Do lots of people really think those out preform the original S7 Olympus??
I never liked the look and I have only heard them once. But if anyone in the San Diego or LA area wouldnt mind showing a set off, I will bring the beer.

Mr. Widget
02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Do lots of people really think those out preform the original S7 Olympus??I am confident here on this forum as well in the general audiophile world the 250Ti would be vastly more popular. Personally I agree with you about their looks... but even there, many people like them.

The 250Ti will play deeper bass and higher highs.
The 250Ti will play all of the frequencies in-between with greater fidelity also.
The 250Ti will also have a more defined sense of space and image when used in stereo.

The S7 will play louder and more dynamically.
The S7 has a sound all it's own and if that is what you love... don't sweat it.

Widget

SUPERBEE
02-20-2006, 11:47 PM
No sweat............I just want to hear for myself. I heard the 250s a good 2 years before I got my Olympus so if I am wrong, I want to know

My offer still stands, And I drink good beer

kingjames
02-21-2006, 12:11 AM
I have the Soverign II's with the S7 series and I think they are awesome.I feel I want a set of 250TI'S and the L300's not because I'm dis-satisfied with my Sov II'S but only because I've heard so much about their sound. I haven't heard either and I am very curious.I have a pretty good ear for stereo sound,I can tell when one speaker isin't performing well at a distance and when I listen to my Sov II's, I am missing nothing,they are crisp,clean and very loud. At moderate volume level they still sound unbelievable.The cabinets might not be modern but the ones I got I believe they are from 1967 or 68 and look like they were bought yesterday.I prefer the older look as I believe they are better built and if the 250TI'S sound better than my Sov II's than more power to JBL.:)

SUPERBEE
02-21-2006, 12:21 AM
I have the Soverign II's with the S7 series and I think they are awesome.I feel I want a set of 250TI'S and the L300's not because I'm dis-satisfied with my Sov II'S but only because I've heard so much about their sound. I haven't heard either and I am very curious.I have a pretty good ear for stereo sound,I can tell when one speaker isin't performing well at a distance and when I listen to my Sov II's, I am missing nothing,they are crisp,clean and very loud. At moderate volume level they still sound unbelievable.The cabinets might not be modern but the ones I got I believe they are from 1967 or 68 and look like they were bought yesterday.I prefer the older look as I believe they are better built and if the 250TI'S sound better than my Sov II's than more power to JBL.:)

Kinda what I was thinking
I almost had a very early set of Soverign's before I was offered my Olympus and I thought they were they most awesome sounding speakers I had ever heard in my life, THATS why I bought the Olympus when I had the chance (I thought the Soverign's were over priced at 1K then, STUPID me)

If you have something better, I REALLY wanna hear it

I had access to a set of L300 for awhile, They sound GREAT, Just a little thiner than the Olympus or the Soverign

Zilch
02-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Anyone running S7 or S7R without the supplemental UHF drivers might well consider adding them.... :thmbsup:

SUPERBEE
02-21-2006, 12:43 AM
I think perhaps alot of folks havent heard a well preforming set of Soverign's or Olympus because they are not as common as the other JBL models

How many people here have actualy HEARD a JBL Hartsfield, Olympus, Soverign, or Paragon?

I have and I own a Paragon and the Olympus. And now I need a set of Early Hartsfields and I will be done.

Again.......IMHO

SUPERBEE
02-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Anyone running S7 or S7R without the supplemental UHF drivers might well consider adding them.... :thmbsup:

What are these?

Zilch
02-21-2006, 01:50 AM
What are these?The 075 tweeters (alt: 2402 or 077 alt: 2405) that did not come standard with S7 or S7R, and the N7000/N8000 (alt: 3105/6) crossovers to run them.

Do your S7's have tweeters? If not, are the cutouts there for them on the front and the additional crossovers on the rear?

SUPERBEE
02-21-2006, 02:10 AM
The 075 tweeters (alt: 2402 or 077 alt: 2405) that did not come standard with S7 or S7R, and the N7000/N8000 (alt: 3105/6) crossovers to run them.

Do your S7's have tweeters? If not, are the cutouts there for them on the front and the additional crossovers on the rear?

No, Mine are very early S7s

I have heard a set of Olympus with the 075 Bullet tweeter right next to mine and I am not missing much

Mike33
02-21-2006, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info guys, i will definitly post pictures of the 250Ti's once i receive them.

Titanium Dome
02-21-2006, 07:50 AM
I think perhaps alot of folks havent heard a well preforming set of Soverign's or Olympus because they are not as common as the other JBL models

How many people here have actualy HEARD a JBL Hartsfield, Olympus, Soverign, or Paragon?

I have and I own a Paragon and the Olympus. And now I need a set of Early Hartsfields and I will be done.

Again.......IMHO

I think perhaps a lot of folks havent heard a well performing set of Performance Series or SVAs or L7s because they are not as common as the other JBL models

How many people here have actually HEARD a JBL Performance Series, SVA2100, or L7?

I have, and I own all three. Since I keep listening to more JBLs, I probably never will be done. ;)

IOW, I think it depends on what you've heard, when you heard it, and what kind of sound you tend to favor. Different strokes for different folks. :D

Mr. Widget
02-21-2006, 11:11 AM
No, Mine are very early S7s

I have heard a set of Olympus with the 075 Bullet tweeter right next to mine and I am not missing muchMy very first pair of JBLs were the S7s back when they were new and still in spec... the lack of highs above about 12KHz drove me nuts. $50 Radio Shack speakers had better HF extension. I solved the problem by adding a slot tweeter. Next I fixed the honky midrange by selling the speakers.... sorry I couldn't resist. To be fair there was a lot about those speakers I did like, but I also wanted deeper bass, a midrange with less character, and high frequencies that could create the sense of air that I heard with other systems.

I think it depends on what you've heard, when you heard it, and what kind of sound you tend to favor. Different strokes for different folks. :DI agree. I do have issues with people who decide that the LXXX or 43XX or SXXX is the finest speaker they ever heard when they have only heard crap to compare it with. On the other hand if after giving a number of high quality systems a listen... especially ones that are beyond your means, you decide that the JBL whatever or even the Bose Wave is just the sound for you, well then you've made the intelligent choice and found the right speaker for you!

Widget

4313B
02-21-2006, 11:18 AM
the lack of highs above about 12KHz drove me nuts. $50 Radio Shack speakers had better HF extension.You often post very similar experiences to my own.
Next I fixed the honky midrange by selling the speakers.... sorry I couldn't resist.Ditto.

I do have issues with people who decide that the LXXX or 43XX or SXXX is the finest speaker they ever heard when they have only heard crap to compare it with.That's one hat I've tried to wear here since day one. Always the devil's advocate.

SUPERBEE
02-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I know......I know.......

Apples and oranges here

I'll tell you what I do. When I hear something I like, I buy it. Now being X music business guy I have been lucky enough to hear lotsa different stuff but have only purchased 7 sets of JBL's with my eye on an 8th so far. And I am always willing to grab a mono copy of the Byrds "Younger Than Yesterday" & 6 of Staropramen to listen to something new....

As fo those "Honky" mids...........Well I am from Oklahoma and I do drive MOPAR, What would you expect?

My very first pair of JBLs were the S7s back when they were new and still in spec... the lack of highs above about 12KHz drove me nuts. $50 Radio Shack speakers had better HF extension. I solved the problem by adding a slot tweeter. Next I fixed the honky midrange by selling the speakers.... sorry I couldn't resist. To be fair there was a lot about those speakers I did like, but I also wanted deeper bass, a midrange with less character, and high frequencies that could create the sense of air that I heard with other systems.

I agree. I do have issues with people who decide that the LXXX or 43XX or SXXX is the finest speaker they ever heard when they have only heard crap to compare it with. On the other hand if after giving a number of high quality systems a listen... especially ones that are beyond your means, you decide that the JBL whatever or even the Bose Wave is just the sound for you, well then you've made the intelligent choice and found the right speaker for you!

Widget

4313B
02-21-2006, 11:34 AM
That's kind of why it's pointless to discuss any of this. Everyone has an opinion and they like what they like. I've travelled down the JBL road my whole teenage and adult life and I like to think that it's been a progression. Some people stick with a particular model and that's fine. Who cares. I have to open my mouth when that person starts waxing on about how what they have is the greatest thing since indoor plumbing though. I guess I simply have to keep my mouth shut and accept the fact that they don't get out much.

SUPERBEE
02-21-2006, 11:39 AM
BINGO!!

I have a brudda who swears by a huge set of BIC's that sound to me like the are playing underwater. He thinks I am foolish for chasing down what I do so.....

That's kind of why it's pointless to discuss any of this. Everyone has an opinion and they like what they like. I've travelled down the JBL road my whole teenage and adult life and I like to think that it's been a progression. Some people stick with a particular model and that's fine. Who cares. I have to open my mouth when that person starts waxing on about how what they have is the greatest thing since indoor plumbing though. I guess I simply have to keep my mouth shut and accept the fact that they don't get out much.

hapy._.face
02-21-2006, 11:46 AM
I guess I simply have to keep my mouth shut and accept the fact that they don't get out much.

Yeah, there's that- and I'll add that some people just have lousy hearing. That's not an opinion, either! :p

SUPERBEE
02-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah, there's that- and I'll add that some people just have lousy hearing. That's not an opinion, either! :p

That would be me.....

In the 80s the first band I managed toured with these GINORMOUS JBL road cabinets and those grey coffin subs. Of course the best place to check out girls to pull was right up front next to the stage.....Next to one of those cabinets. It sounded great, Louder than god but great!

Titanium Dome
02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
That would be me.....

In the 80s the first band I managed toured with these GINORMOUS JBL road cabinets and those grey coffin subs. Of course the best place to check out girls to pull was right up front next to the stage.....Next to one of those cabinets. It sounded great, Louder than god but great!

Yes, some girls loved the massage those big drivers gave. They'd go on and on about how to generate the best effect. There was one girl who'd warm up a couple of large, stainless steel balls before the show and... :spchless:

JBLnsince1959
02-21-2006, 04:21 PM
it's pointless to discuss any of this.

Yes, but we still do it day and day out don't we...Oh, you weren't talking about the forum in general..sorry ;)

kingjames
02-22-2006, 07:55 AM
It would appear to me that if you are completely satisfied with what you got then why would you look for something else. A saying comes to mind here "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I believe I am entitled to say that the Sov II's are the best I've heard because they are the best I've heard.Speakers beyond my means will always be speakers beyond my means so I will never have the oppurtunity to compare them to speakers beyond my means. I don't say they are the best that JBL produced I only say they are the best I've heard.Curiousity is an expensive condition that takes ahold of most of us at times but, that's all it is,being curious about something that quite a few people praise,and in this case the Paragon,Hartsfield,250TI'S,L300 etc;. I don't compare my Sov's to crap as I don't have any crap laying around,unles you think my 4425's are crap,but how can that be.they are also JBL'S.Like you said though,if the speaker you have sounds good to you then you've made the right choice,don't fault someone because they only have a set of L19's and then come here and say they are the best they heard,because someone's crap is another man's treasure.Here I go again with my liberal views!!!!!:D

Note... I just parted out a pair of JBL L56's because I didn't like the way they sounded.I don't know if it was ??khz down or ??khz up,and I don't really care about the khz, all I know is that they sounded terrible to (my) ears. I sold the woofers to duaneage and I guess he's having a problem with the sound as well as I read his recent posts on them. I think my ears work fine and I know I haven't heard the best but if they're outta my means then why should I be concerned with them?

My very first pair of JBLs were the S7s back when they were new and still in spec... the lack of highs above about 12KHz drove me nuts. $50 Radio Shack speakers had better HF extension. I solved the problem by adding a slot tweeter. Next I fixed the honky midrange by selling the speakers.... sorry I couldn't resist. To be fair there was a lot about those speakers I did like, but I also wanted deeper bass, a midrange with less character, and high frequencies that could create the sense of air that I heard with other systems.

I agree. I do have issues with people who decide that the LXXX or 43XX or SXXX is the finest speaker they ever heard when they have only heard crap to compare it with. On the other hand if after giving a number of high quality systems a listen... especially ones that are beyond your means, you decide that the JBL whatever or even the Bose Wave is just the sound for you, well then you've made the intelligent choice and found the right speaker for you!

Widget

Titanium Dome
02-22-2006, 08:37 AM
That's Giskard's word

(snip)...it's been a progression.(snip)

and I like the connotation of a pattern of advancement.

I like my new GF of five years better than my old wife of 28 years.

I like my life in CA better than my life in MI, which I liked better than my life in IN, which I liked better than my life in OH. My youth in Ohio was great, but each point on the progression was better.

sidebar: Great Big Generals, Generals are great! Anthony Wayne High School.

I like my current job better than my last job, which I liked better than the job before that.

It's probably dependent on attitude and personal values.

Some folks like the good old days. Things were just better then. They prefer the stability and predictability of the past.

Some folks like the status quo. They like things just the way they are. Why change? Don't mess up a good thing.

Some folks like progress. Advancement leads to improvement; the future will be better than the past. The excitement of life is in exploration.

I'm definitely in that last group, but I'm also in the other groups from time to time. That's why my L100s mean so much to me, and why I've got L7s and SVA1800s, and why I went out on a limb to bring home the Performance Series, and why I'm planning/saving/selling to get ready for Project Array or the 60th Anniversary speaker.

I have this saying on the wall in my office: If you do the same thing you've always done, you'll be where you've always been.

For some people, that's a reassuring statement, and for others it's absolutely frightening.

kingjames
02-22-2006, 10:23 AM
I have this saying on the wall in my office: If you do the same thing you've always done, you'll be where you've always been.

I like that saying it is (so) me. I believe in progression and I believe it is good but I also believe there should be a reason to progress,when I listen to my speakers I am content,I don't feel I should put out X amount of dollars to progress to a better speaker. It cost quite a bit of money to progress and this is probably why I won't go and listen to their new stuff,I might end up buying it,it might sound better than mine(I'm sure it sounds better than mine) but, to do this you need a reason,is it what I need,NO,is it what I want,NO,can I afford it, NO,etc;etc;etc;.Some of us are just content with the old stuff,and since I'm old stuff also, maybe this is the reason we get along so well.:D

SUPERBEE
02-22-2006, 11:43 AM
All very interesting......

But I think I am gonna blow all this off and go blast some "Marquee Moon" thru my kick-ass Olympus.

Mr. Widget
02-22-2006, 12:02 PM
It would appear to me that if you are completely satisfied with what you got then why would you look for something else.

I suggested listening to expensive speakers not because cost equals quality or for snob reasons, but only because it will broaden ones perspective. There are plenty of expensive speakers that are not my flavor and there are some inexpensive ones I quite like, but my point was that until you go for a ride in a Ferrari, you will always think your old Dodge Dart is hot stuff... After hearing speaker X and being blown away by it, you may find a speaker in your price range that shares many of it's traits.

Not knowing what is possible will make it easier to be content I suppose... much like the kid who never leaves his Mid-Western hometown. I love Paris... had to compromise and live in San Francisco.

Back to JBLs. I get the feeling that you may have thought that I was saying that if you are happy with S7s or S8s you are deaf. Not at all. I can even imaging someone listening to the 250Tis, M9500s, Wilson Whatevers etc. and still preferring the S7s or S8s... I don't, I doubt most people will, but we are all individuals and speakers are all so imperfect. That is what makes speakers so intriguing to me. They all have problems, so we have to pick our compromises carefully. That to me is where the fun lies, and is why I have so many speakers and probably why many others here do to.

Progress... there are those that think that the Western Electric speakers of the 30's were the penultimate loudspeakers and it has been a slow ride down hill since. I am amazed at what they were able to achieve way back when, but I have heard the progress and I like it! Come on 60th anniversary JBL!

Widget

Zilch
02-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I like that saying it is (so) me. I believe in progression and I believe it is good but I also believe there should be a reason to progress,when I listen to my speakers I am content,I don't feel I should put out X amount of dollars to progress to a better speaker.So, do your Sovereign S7's have tweeters in them?

Titanium Dome
02-22-2006, 01:14 PM
(snip)

Not knowing what is possible will make it easier to be content I suppose... much like the kid who never leaves his Mid-Western hometown. I love Paris... had to compromise and live in San Francisco.

Yes, my life journey from a farm in NW Ohio to LA was quite interesting, and it all started with that first trip to Chicago in 1966. That's when I figured out there was more to the world than the back forty or a trip to downtown Toledo. :yes:

(snip) but we are all individuals and speakers are all so imperfect. That is what makes speakers so intriguing to me. They all have problems, so we have to pick our compromises carefully. That to me is where the fun lies, and is why I have so many speakers and probably why many others here do to.

Progress... there are those that think that the Western Electric speakers of the 30's were the penultimate loudspeakers and it has been a slow ride down hill since. I am amazed at what they were able to achieve way back when, but I have heard the progress and I like it! Come on 60th anniversary JBL!

Widget

Exactly so, Widget, and I do have a figurative boner thinking about the 60th Anniversary JBL. If that freaking Giskard weren't so tight lipped about it... :bash:

kingjames
02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
So, do your Sovereign S7's have tweeters in them?

I have the le15a,and the le85,no tweeter,

Zilch
02-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Enough said already, perhaps, but I shake my head in disbelief at the perceptions expressed here regarding the quality of sound reproduction of S7(R) without a supplemental UHF driver.

As Mr. Widget points out, frequency response in the last octave is lacking, and what IS there is confined to a diminishingly narrow vertical beamwidth. Surely, substantial content of "Rock and roll," for example, is missing.

Diminished high-frequency hearing capacity might best serve as a rationale for more enjoyable listening to systems having exceptional HF capabilities instead. That's why I suggested adding the supplemental UHF driver to S7 might be a worthy consideration.

It's all well documented in the site library and technical notes forum. Here's one example:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/monitoring.htm

Everybody likes what they like, of course, and I take no issue with that. However, any assertion that S7 can stand up against 250Ti overall is patent fantasy, at best....

4313B
02-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Enough said already, perhaps, but I shake my head in disbelief at the perceptions expressed here regarding the quality of sound reproduction of S7(R) without a supplemental UHF driver.

As Mr. Widget points out, frequency response in the last octave is lacking, and what IS there is confined to a diminishingly narrow vertical beamwidth. Surely, substantial content of "Rock and roll," for example, is missing.

Diminished high-frequency hearing capacity might best serve as a rationale for more enjoyable listening to systems having exceptional HF capabilities instead. That's why I suggested adding the supplemental UHF driver to S7 might be a wothy consideration.

It's all well documented in the site library and technical notes forum. Here's one example:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/monitoring.htm

Everybody likes what they like, of course, and I take no issue with that. However, any assertion that S7 can stand up against 250Ti overall is mere fantasy, at best....:hmm: Are you like some kind of bodysnatcher-type alien lifeform I need to be wary of?

Zilch
02-23-2006, 01:30 PM
:hmm: Are you like some kind of bodysnatcher-type alien lifeform I need to be wary of?Naw, just sold off a buncha S7R Olympus's here; expressing the basis for doing so.

Only one pair each unmolested Sovereign I (with supplemental 075 UHF) and Olympus S7 left.

[Plus some molested ones, of course. :p ]

Folks're gonna do stuff on the basis of spurious imaginings in spite of it, but it's just good to have the facts at hand, is all....