PDA

View Full Version : Capable sub for Full SVA system??

Hornblower
02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Hi,

I am new here so first of all like to say a big hullo there to all.

I have a most interesting "problem" , My current system is in need of a better subwoofer, I currently have a "shiva" in a 4.1 cuft box , ported to 23hz with 600 (real) watts up its rear, it cannot keep up with my sva system.. and runs out of slam (bottoms) before i hit reference level and I am looking for a driver with the capabilities to keep up with the rest of the system.

Current system consists of sva 2100 fronts , 1600 center, 1800 rears (5.1 here none of the faffy 93.1 channels) I simply get better bass and output if i mix the LFE with the fronts, I cannot believe that!

I have tons of power on tap, I have even tried giving the sub 1400w from a p.a amp (bunker bk-10 ) this amp is currently driving my "buttkicker" , so its not a question of clean power or head room , maybe room modes are killing me off, but i need somewhere to start looking before i shell out again.

Has anyone used a sub that can keep up with this type of system, its used primarily for H.T not really music , must be able to handle the peaks, For example.. wotw almost kills this little shiva, and it iwas very highly reccomended.

sorry for the long post.
Regards
Gary.

JuniorJBL
02-20-2006, 08:59 PM
JBL makes many Very good subs. Now for what you want we need more input.

1) Are you handy with a saw?

2) What kind of size sub are you looking for

3) Room size

Lets start with that.

Titanium Dome
02-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Gosh, that moniker has so many implications, at least two of which relate directly to the JBLs that 50% or more of the LH members prefer. (Though it's a mystery to me. ;) )

Seriously, though, I've got a pair of SVA2100s, some SVA1800s, and an SVA Center. Yes, the bottom end needs a boost, and a good sub really assists the SVA's dual woofers to be more effective when you narrow their range a bit.

Others are likely to disagree with my suggestions, but most members here have never seen, let alone heard, any SVAs and certainly not SVA2100s. They also don't appreciate how big those mothers are, easily bigger than L220s in total volume.

The smoothest blend of SVA to sub is to use a JBL LE120H-1 based 12" subwoofer system. If you want a ready-made solution, the old Citation 5.4 sub or the Fosgate Audionics CSS200 sub is for you. They're passive subs using the LE120H-1, so they need an external amp. I'd recommend two subs, placed either at the midpoint of the front and rear wall, or at the midpoint of each side wall in your room.

These are often on eBay, and the Fosgate CSS200 usually goes for $100 or less. The last one I bought cost me $29.99! A new LE120H-1 driver by itself is $192 from JBL. You do the math on that one. ;)

Hornblower
02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi guys,

thanks for the input so far, I have built several subs and am not affraid of the ole table saw! haha, the sight of beige dust flying really gets one going in the morning:applaud: ut using an

The sub i have already is based on the "aerial sw12" its a cloe of that , but using an adire audio "shiva" 12" driver with 13mm xmax , when i researched this it seemed like it was upto the job, dont get me wrong, the bass is very smooth, and has output in excess of 110 db at 25hz, but its not enough, for me at least. The problem is that it bottoms (reaches its level of maximum excursion) well before the SVA's give a damn, and id just like to see exactly what they are capable of....

I have another sub cabinet lying around which is around 7cu ft tuned to 18hz with a 14" 1/16th" cut out ready for a 15" sub, I have tried a few 15's in there but same thing happens, :( .

My room is 13ft wide , 9ft high ceilings and 25ft long, not sealed off as it turns at the end to where my Bar is, i estimate that the totall volume is over 4500cuft including the bar and small kitchen area. Could it be that the subs that I am trying just do not have enough xmax? as in they cannot move the entire volume of air as one unit to create the pressure loading im looking for before running out of electrical power handling?

The SVA's are insane!! They absolutely fill the room competently with bass, obviously not the real "low stuff" but my golly can they liquidise your innards with what they do put out! I have a full seperates system including carvers thx approved power amps (av-705 thx) bi amping the system and its very articulate, for the bass department I use P.A amps, which are rated at 1400wrms into 4ohm load, for the buttkicker, plus a 600wrms amp for the sub.

Hopefully this will give you a little more incline into the type of thing im after, requirements are....
1. flat as possible to 20hz ,
2. high power handling/output
3. Under 9cuft (they get extremely large after this!)
4. Ability to hit 120 db peaks

Sorry for what seems an essay, but I really am at the end of my tether here and am about to start to try building "bass traps" and the like!! urghhhhhhh:blink: :barf:

Thank you for your help and comments
P.S if anyones in Mexico , please feel free to contact and come and listen to them.

regards
Gary.:bouncy:

toddalin
02-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Not a JBL, but my Sunfire Signiture fills your bill nicely. These things are really unbelievable. A 12" cube with a 10" woofer and 10" PR that pumps out well over 100 dB at 18 Hz in a room that is 28' long, 16' wide, and a ceiling slopes from 8' to 16'. I use three 2235s and a W15GTI, as well as four 10" 3-way surrounds, and this little thing can out deep bass the lot of them! I cross it over low (40 Hz) to a W15GTI mounted in my center cabinet.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/room1.jpg

Hi guys,

thanks for the input so far, I have built several subs and am not affraid of the ole table saw! haha, the sight of beige dust flying really gets one going in the morning:applaud: ut using an

The sub i have already is based on the "aerial sw12" its a cloe of that , but using an adire audio "shiva" 12" driver with 13mm xmax , when i researched this it seemed like it was upto the job, dont get me wrong, the bass is very smooth, and has output in excess of 110 db at 25hz, but its not enough, for me at least. The problem is that it bottoms (reaches its level of maximum excursion) well before the SVA's give a damn, and id just like to see exactly what they are capable of....

I have another sub cabinet lying around which is around 7cu ft tuned to 18hz with a 14" 1/16th" cut out ready for a 15" sub, I have tried a few 15's in there but same thing happens, :( .

My room is 13ft wide , 9ft high ceilings and 25ft long, not sealed off as it turns at the end to where my Bar is, i estimate that the totall volume is over 4500cuft including the bar and small kitchen area. Could it be that the subs that I am trying just do not have enough xmax? as in they cannot move the entire volume of air as one unit to create the pressure loading im looking for before running out of electrical power handling?

The SVA's are insane!! They absolutely fill the room competently with bass, obviously not the real "low stuff" but my golly can they liquidise your innards with what they do put out! I have a full seperates system including carvers thx approved power amps (av-705 thx) bi amping the system and its very articulate, for the bass department I use P.A amps, which are rated at 1400wrms into 4ohm load, for the buttkicker, plus a 600wrms amp for the sub.

Hopefully this will give you a little more incline into the type of thing im after, requirements are....
1. flat as possible to 20hz ,
2. high power handling/output
3. Under 9cuft (they get extremely large after this!)
4. Ability to hit 120 db peaks

Sorry for what seems an essay, but I really am at the end of my tether here and am about to start to try building "bass traps" and the like!! urghhhhhhh:blink: :barf:

Thank you for your help and comments
P.S if anyones in Mexico , please feel free to contact and come and listen to them.

regards
Gary.:bouncy:

JuniorJBL
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
This is a search thread about the 4645c pro sub cab:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=187785

I would look into this as it is 8 cu ft. use a 2242 as well. 99db 1w 1m

Hornblower
04-01-2006, 04:36 PM
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Well a quick update guys, I have tried something that i really did not think would work...

Bass traps, super cheap , and a real fast method, credit must go to Mr. John Risch for his email convincing me to give it a go I am sooooo glad i did.
Heres the link if youd like a look, http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/15737.html

O.k so heres a quick summary of what i did, ....

1. went to home depot, purchased 6 rolls of r-13 fibreglass.
2. got home.
3. Put 3 in the two front corners of my room stacked on top of each other.

And BAM, my sva2100s now have better more articulate bass!! incredibly simple...

My subwoofer that i chose to build is based on an audiobahn 15" special edition in a 5cuft cab tuned to 22hz, the bass now is absolutely incredible, I am not after massive output , but the thing will and has shaken plaster loose from my false ceiling!! :blink: :blink:

I have to reccomend that you guys give this simple method a try, I cannot believe how much difference it actually made! I have got REAL levels of bass now, I am overwhelmed.

Im gonna buy more of these and have a stocking made for them to cover them up , but needles to say best 100 dollar upgrade / tweak etc I have ever performed.
Even the "other half" said "hey they sound much better"

Just thought id share this with you.
regards
Gareth.