PDA

View Full Version : high end JBLs?

MJC
02-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I just set some guy straight about JBLs over at AVS. He didn't have a clue that there were High End JBLs. So I showed him this:
http://www.jbl.com/home/k2_story/default.aspx?Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

briang
02-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Well done!

duaneage
02-19-2006, 10:21 PM
When I hit the powerball I am buying 6 of them for HT.

Titanium Dome
02-19-2006, 11:22 PM

Or you could just get this:

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-HERCULES&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

JBL Dog
02-19-2006, 11:36 PM

You and me both. If the $365 million winner decides to take the lump sum, they walk away with a staggering $124 million AFTER taxes.

YOWSAH!

MJC
02-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Or you could just get this:

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-HERCULES&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Just remember what GT said, " Five (or seven) identical speakers are the best way to re-create the sound space that the authors of the recording intended."

Having 7 identical speakers, I can support that statement 100%, although my L212s aren't in the same class as the K2s.
If I had 7 K2s I'd need a room at least twice as big!

4313B
02-20-2006, 05:49 AM
You and me both. If the $365 million winner decides to take the lump sum, they walk away with a staggering $124 million AFTER taxes.What!? So the remaining $241 million goes to Iraq!? Fuck that shit...

briang
02-20-2006, 06:27 AM
What!? So the remaining $241 million goes to Iraq!? Fuck that shit...

Not quite. If a winner takes the lump sum then they receive 60% of the "Jackpot" (they get 100% if they take the annuity).

Then the government gets their share.

Of the governments share (what is the top marginal rate now? 28%?), the military gets only a small fraction (based on the current budget), the bulk of which is wealth transfer payments, then some for schools, roads and other important stuff.

As an Army Medic (91W), IMHO, the more that gets to Iraq, the sooner we come home.:applaud:

On topic: my 5.1 set up is now using 5 similar, but not identical vintage JBL speakers. L112 fronts, 4411 center, L96 rear. Certainly not as nice as the K2 9800 series, but it's the best I can afford now.:bouncy:

MJC
02-20-2006, 06:38 AM
If I sold my house and bought a mobile home, then I could afford all the K2s I wanted.

scott fitlin
02-20-2006, 06:46 AM
If I sold my house and bought a mobile home, then I could afford all the K2s I wanted. Then you wouldnt have a room to keep them in! But, yours would be the most jammin trailer park in the nation!

:D

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 07:30 AM
....of all the JBL speakers built in the company's history- none appeal to me more than the K2 9800. I can't explain it- but the design just seems "right" to me in every way imaginable. I've never even heard a pair. In fact- if anyone on this forum (pref east coast) has a pair they would let me listen to- I'll buy dinner. :cheers:

norealtalent
02-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Snooze looze! Where's my dinner? ;)

MJC
02-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Then you wouldnt have a room to keep them in! But, yours would be the most jammin trailer park in the nation!

:D
A double wide, 60' long or better, built with my own floor plan, that would contain a large HT, maybe 1/2 the total!:)
Ah, but where would I want to set up house. That's the real question.:banghead:

MJC
02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
....of all the JBL speakers built in the company's history- none appeal to me more than the K2 9800. I can't explain it- but the design just seems "right" to me in every way imaginable. I've never even heard a pair. In fact- if anyone on this forum (pref east coast) has a pair they would let me listen to- I'll buy dinner. :cheers:
I hear that, along with the 250Ti. As far as hearing them, I still haven heard the 3 top of the lines yet. PS, Array, K2 9800.
The last top of the line JBL I saw in Nevada was the 250Ti in '87, and before that, the L212 in '78, which I bought.
Now if I could just decide where I'd put up a large, large Mobile, I could actually afford the K2s. It would have to be at least an acre, like I've got now, so I wouldn't wake the neighbors.

Titanium Dome
02-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Just remember what GT said, " Five (or seven) identical speakers are the best way to re-create the sound space that the authors of the recording intended."

Having 7 identical speakers, I can support that statement 100%, although my L212s aren't in the same class as the K2s.
If I had 7 K2s I'd need a room at least twice as big!

Yeah, I know what he said, and in my consumer-centric reality, that's why there's six PT800s (plus a PC600) in my set up. :yes:

However, I betcha the Synthesis guys have a thing or two to bring to the debate, including the SDEC-2500A and Digital Acoustic Calibration System™ (DACS™). At the very least, the low end of the K2 S9800 needs some reinforcement, in this case with four S1S-EX 18" subs.

But hey, I'm with you, if I only had enough money for seven K2 S9800s, that'd be just fine for me. :banana:

Titanium Dome
02-20-2006, 05:43 PM
I hear that, along with the 250Ti. As far as hearing them, I still haven heard the 3 top of the lines yet. PS, Array, K2 9800.
The last top of the line JBL I saw in Nevada was the 250Ti in '87, and before that, the L212 in '78, which I bought.

Interesting that the top two consumer lines are horn based, huh? In that respect, there's no comparison between the Performance Series and the Arrays and K2s. I haven't heard the Array yet, but I have had the pleasure of the K2s, and it is a whole effing different universe of sound. :jawdrop: My initial impressions were "Wow, Wow!, and WOW!!", but they were soon replaced with impressions, like "clean, articulate, razor-like, dynamic, powerful." Yet they can be subtle, too, and almost delicate. The high end is astounding and, possibly, fatal. :D The bottom is less impressive, though by no means weak.

(I took some shit when I wrote that the 4430s were a bit deficient in the bass department, too, but when I added the B380 sub things were just fine.)

It might just be attributed to that horn/direct driver shift that hybrid horn/direct driver speakers have to over come. The SVA Series seems to handle this well, as does the K2 S5800.

Probably my preference for the Ti tweeters and inverted domes of the Performance Series is that they're very well balanced as well as excellent sounding drivers. Maybe the Project Array Series will change my mind.

Now if I could just decide where I'd put up a large, large Mobile, I could actually afford the K2s. It would have to be at least an acre, like I've got now, so I wouldn't wake the neighbors.

There's a lot of open land in Nevada. Mayber a better choice is to get a normal mobile and build a pole barn a little ways off. I had five acres in MI, and I built a 30x48x10 unit, dropped in a floor, insulation, electricity, heat, phone, insulation--once fixed up it made a really nice "play area." My only regret was no john. Seven K2 S9800s would've rocked that joint out. :band:

MJC
02-20-2006, 06:06 PM
There's a lot of open land in Nevada.
Yes there is, but few places in Nevada can match the Carson Valley's beauty, not counting Tahoe. Although Spring Creek comes to mind, its south of Elko, looking at the Ruby Mtns.

Mayber a better choice is to get a normal mobile and build a pole barn a little ways off. I had five acres in MI, and I built a 30x48x10 unit, dropped in a floor, insulation, electricity, heat, phone, insulation--once fixed up it made a really nice "play area." My only regret was no john. Seven K2 S9800s would've rocked that joint out. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/band.gif

Then again, about 7~8 years ago HT mag, I think it was, did an article on Eddie Murphy's HT set up in a silo. Just think, NO parallel walls. He also had a recording studio and it all could substain a 120db!

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 06:14 PM
My only regret was no john. Seven K2 S9800s would've rocked that joint out.

With 7 K2 9800's, I wouldn't care about a john. I would have settled for cutting a hole in the bottom of a recliner. Where else do you need to go with all those babies playin'?! Fridge next to your sweet spot- so you don't have to get up...you could die a happy man that way!! j/k of course...well, sort of...

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Snooze looze! Where's my dinner? ;)

....no, not your K2 skis, dude. I'll buy dinner anyways. :)

http://www.geardirect.com/store/images/k2_oneluv_06.jpg

Titanium Dome
02-20-2006, 06:26 PM
(snip)Fridge next to your sweet spot- so you don't have to get up...you could die a happy man that way!! j/k of course...well, sort of...

I don't want a FRIDGE NEXT TO MY SWEET SPOT. It'd fall off...wait a mintue. Huh? Huh? What'd you say? Ah, THAT sweet spot.

Never mind.

johnaec
02-20-2006, 06:38 PM
When I hit the powerball I am buying 6 of them for HT.Some guy in Nigeria keeps emailing me offering $16 million if I'll help him move some money. Maybe I'll give him a call... :p

John

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Some guy in Nigeria keeps emailing me offering $16 million if I'll help him move some money. Maybe I'll give him a call... :p

John

:rotfl:
Yeah, 'cause 16Mil is chump change in Nigeria- they're all rich over there. In fact- it's the number one destination of multi millionaires. I say you should help the guy out....;)

johnaec
02-20-2006, 06:46 PM
...16Mil is chump change in Nigeria- they're all rich over there...That must be true. His brother and sister keep emailing me for help also... ;)

John

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 06:52 PM
His brother and sister keep emailing me for help also... ;)

John

:p ...I'm gonna stop before I get myself in trouble. Good one! :D

OK- K2 9800..it is decided I will drive to find an audition- just to say I've heard what they can do. I found this place via JBL's site:
Audio Associates- Larry Dean
491 South Washington Ave.
Paramus, NJ 07652
phone # 732-968-9711
fax # 732-968-8808
email: [email protected] ([email protected])

Phone call in the morning- potential road trip very soon!:D

MJC
02-20-2006, 07:07 PM
:p ...I'm gonna stop before I get myself in trouble. Good one! :D

OK- K2 9800..Where are they? Not many US sales at all, huh?
this guy has very refined taste in amps , too. "sigh.... :("
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1143736353
Its the same as the PS, you can buy direct from JBL, $15K/ea, if I had an extra $30K, a pair of K2s would already be on their way.:banana:

scott fitlin
02-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Some guy in Nigeria keeps emailing me offering $16 million if I'll help him move some money. Maybe I'll give him a call... :p

JohnYeah! I get those emails also!

I never knew how many freinds I have in Nigeria. Really! :D

MJC
02-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I was comparing the 250Ti to the K2 S9800. They're about the same size:
The 250Ti 52"x22.5"x14.25", 150lb
The K2 S9800 51"X20"x14.75", 198lb.

I didn't see the frequency range of the 250, but I think it goes lower than the K2's 45htz, but nowhere near as high as the K2's 50khtz.
I would guess one of two things, or both, are true about the K2's frequency response. It only goes down to 45htz, not counting the 35htz@ -10db, because it was designed to be used with a sub and/or because its being sold in Japan. And if I'm correct in what I remember reading, the Japanese aren't big on VLF.

Although quite different in style, I find both very visually appealing. And I prefer the K2 with the wood grain.

And comparing the looks of the K2 to the Project Array, at this time I'm not sure how much I like Arrays, they are different, to say the least.
I don't dis-like the looks of the Arrays, but not sure I like them as much as the K2 or 250Ti.
Maybe one of these days I'll get to hear the K2 and Arrays.

4313B
02-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I didn't see the frequency range of the 250, but I think it goes lower than the K2's 45htz, but nowhere near as high as the K2's 50khtz.I have the Engineering Design Specification for both systems but can't find the 250Ti right now so I'll refrain from posting from memory.

hapy._.face
02-23-2006, 11:11 AM
And if I'm correct in what I remember reading, the Japanese aren't big on VLF.

Actually, they love bass extension. It's just that the typical japanese living room is generally smaller in overall size. You wouldn't want to sit in with a pumping 20Hz freq in a room about the size of a bathtub, would you? If so, I know a few cars in St Louis you could ride around in...:)

PROOF: check out this (japanese) guy's set up (all that's missing is an oil painting of Uncle Sam on the wall):
http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Vanguard/room5/room5.htm

Oh, and the 250Ti has no compression drivers (vs the K (K@9800)2). It better have horns to earn my high dollar ransom!

MJC
02-23-2006, 11:48 AM
[quote=hapy._.face]Actually, they love bass extension. It's just that the typical japanese living room is generally smaller in overall size.

Man you haven't seen the LRs in some of the houses I've been installing staircases in. Talk about small, the vertical, 16ft, was longer than either horizontal dimension.

And I totally realized the difference of the 250Ti and K2, as far as drivers. I was more/less just comparing their overall size and frequency response.

But until I get a chance to hear the K2 or Arrays, I'll be content listening to my 7 channel L212 system w/4 subs.:)