PDA

View Full Version : Midrange Dented dust cap

Nightbrace
02-19-2006, 03:24 PM
I have 2 LE5-6 midranges that have dented dust caps, is there anything I can do to remedy the problem easily? These speakers will be used as rears in a HT set-up so its not too important, but thought that someone may have figured something out.

Don C
02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
That's an aluminum dust cap. You wont be able to pull the dent out. You may be able to get a new cap from JBL and replace it though.

Nightbrace
02-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Cap appears to be plastic, its not too bad, would I be able to remove it and replace it with one from JBL? I'll post pics to show what they look like.

JuniorJBL
02-20-2006, 08:54 PM
That's an aluminum dust cap. You wont be able to pull the dent out. You may be able to get a new cap from JBL and replace it though.

:yes: ouch:(

Nightbrace
02-20-2006, 10:30 PM
pic

grumpy
02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
yes, you can order (at least you could at one time) and replace these.
yes, you can destroy an otherwise perfectly good speaker if you're not careful.

-grumpy

John
02-21-2006, 12:18 AM
They may look like plastic, but they are Aluminum. If any one has a pair that they can spare? Please let me know as I need a pair so I can get some L96's up and running. :bouncy:

JBLnsince1959
02-21-2006, 07:13 AM

-grumpy

wise words......

Besides.. From the "Experts" on ebay who sell speakers I've learned over the years that these dents in the dust caps "Does Not Affect the Sound",

why hell, I've seen some on Ebay that are completely smashed, holes in them, no surrounds and all of this "Does Not Affect the Sound",
why, in one on Ebay there was only the basket , no cone, nothin' and according to the "Expert" selling this fine speaker it sounded GREAT!!!!!

So, I wouldn't worry too much about those small dents, esp. when you're going to be using them for rears....

Titanium Dome
02-21-2006, 07:27 AM
wise words......

Besides.. From the "Experts" on ebay who sell speakers I've learned over the years that these dents in the dust caps "Does Not Affect the Sound",

why hell, I've seen some on Ebay that are completely smashed, holes in them, no surrounds and all of this "Does Not Affect the Sound",
why, in one on Ebay there was only the basket , no cone, nothin' and according to the "Expert" selling this fine speaker it sounded GREAT!!!!!

So, I wouldn't worry too much about those small dents, esp. when you're going to be using them for rears....

:rotfl:

Before attempting the following, PLEASE READ important note below.*

In fact, those "in the know" are aware that dust caps are really just like speaker grilles, necessary evils to protect from unwanted objects, like fingers, dust, or loose parakeets from getting inside, and also like grilles they put the finishing touches on things, making them look just right, Goldilocks.

So just pop those things outta there and let those gaps breathe like they're supposed to. Sure they'll looked weird, but you'll know the engineers finally got one over on the chumps in marketing. :bash:

*Please don't really pop those caps off. It's only a joke. Unless you know what you're doing, the joke will be on you, and it likely will be a very bad joke indeed. :scold:

JBLnsince1959
02-21-2006, 07:51 AM

[
So just pop those things outta there and let those gaps breathe like they're supposed to. Sure they'll looked weird, but you'll know the engineers finally got one over on the chumps in marketing

:jawdrop: :wtf: :shock: :spchless: :no:
Dome now you know better than that :screwy: :moon:

Seriously tho, I'll just leave'em alone if you haven't done this before..They're not badly dented...and you know the old saying here ( everybody say this with me now....)

It doesn't affect the sound......

OR if it REEEEALLY bothers you..have a professional do this.

grumpy
02-21-2006, 08:11 AM
jeez. just call jbl if you want to DIY. it's not like they're that expensive. :blink:

(reply for Manitoba John)

JBLnsince1959
02-21-2006, 08:35 AM
I tried to do it once and totally screwed it up. BUT, I'm not real handy either. Any more I find it easier for myself to just pay someone if it really needs fixing or just leave it alone if it's just a visual...

each to his own....

toddalin
02-21-2006, 09:29 AM
In the past I've fixed dented domes by lightly pressing a piece of masking tape to the dent, grasping both loose ends, and pulling it out.

clmrt
02-21-2006, 09:42 AM
In the past I've fixed dented domes by lightly pressing a piece of masking tape to the dent, grasping both loose ends, and pulling it out.

Yep - electrical tape here. Worked great.

JuniorJBL
02-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Yep - electrical tape here. Worked great.

I used clear tape but.. I also pulled off some of the paint on an le5-x mid.
If I were to try it again I would try electrical tape on these.:(

As far as replacing the domes I found it a little bit of a challenge to get those small domes stright without getting glue all over the cone. I am sure if you do it all the time and maybe have a suction cup type of tool to put it on it would be easier.

JBLnsince1959
02-21-2006, 10:29 AM
As far as replacing the domes I found it a little bit of a challenge to get those small domes stright without getting glue all over the cone

That's putting it mildly.. for me anyway...it was a F**king mess and the more I tried to "fix it" the it worst it got... I finally had to give it to the expert and let him completely re-cone the sucker....( and we won't go on about how I screwed up from the begining trying to get it off)

as i said, I'm not handy..

if you see me with a tool in my hand..run as fast and as far away from me as possible...

John
02-21-2006, 10:36 AM
jeez. just call jbl if you want to DIY. it's not like they're that expensive. :blink:

(reply for Manitoba John)

Too lazy I guess, but I thought if someone had a pair I would just pay them with a click of the mouse!!!:blink:

JuniorJBL
02-21-2006, 10:39 AM
if you see me with a tool in my hand..run as fast and as far away from me as possible...

:rotfl: :uhmmmm:

Nightbrace
02-21-2006, 03:52 PM
how much would a repair guy charge to fix them? One of the Tweeters has a little indentation as well and a little bit of the foam is deterioriating, what bugs me is that he shipped them without the grills on and they were perfect. I'll take a pic of both the tweeters,

edgewound
02-21-2006, 04:13 PM
how much would a repair guy charge to fix them? ,

About 15 bucks each

JBLnsince1959
02-21-2006, 04:16 PM
:rotfl: :uhmmmm:

I'll make sure there's no tools in my hands when I walk to your front door... :D

hapy._.face
02-21-2006, 04:51 PM
....or loose parakeets from getting inside,

Did this happen to 'Thumper?? :p

If you see '59 with a tool in his hand, please step out of the bathrooom and give the man some privacy.

Nightbrace
02-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Edge, think I can do this if I'm careful?

edgewound
02-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Edge, think I can do this if I'm careful?

If I knew your skill level I could give you an accurate answer. If you're proficient in your small motor skills, you should be fine. But if you're clumsy with delicate operations, you're sure to screw it up....then it will need to be reconed. It's an aluminum dome, and the only way to fix it is to replace it.

Good luck:)

Nightbrace
02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't think its worth it, I'll just get it replaced by someone, I have pretty good skills, but don't want to damage them. How much for a cone on a LE25-4 tweeter?

maxwedge
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Duct tape.:) Like the others said. Just lightly form it into the dent and then pull the dent out. You may still have a mark but it will look better than they do now.:blink:

Nightbrace
02-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Duct Tape. 1000 uses and counting, I'll take pics of the tweeters,

toddalin
02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
I recommeded painter's masking tape because it is less sticky (takes off least paint) and leaves less residue.

Duct Tape. 1000 uses and counting, I'll take pics of the tweeters,

Nightbrace
02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Pic, where do I get these little orange foam pieces, can I make them? And is this indentation anything to worry about?

Nightbrace
02-21-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm going to have them fixed, not worth it, tried the duct tape, it actually made them worse. Do I need to replace this cone on this tweeter?

John
02-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Put the grill back on and forget about it!!!:banghead:

scott fitlin
02-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Pic, where do I get these little orange foam pieces, can I make them? And is this indentation anything to worry about?Just leave this alone, it doesnt affect the sound, and it is too small for you to repair, just leave it be.

Nightbrace
02-21-2006, 10:24 PM
I will, I am going to get the mids fixed properly, I like the way they sound too much. I agree about the tweeter, its not worth it, I couldn't hear anything wrong with it, so back it goes.

Just was wondering how much it would cost if I decided to get it replaced and if there was orange foam pieces out there to get them PERFECT>

Nightbrace
02-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Does anyone have a procedure on how to remove the dustcaps properly?

John
02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Tip #1 Use the sharpest Xacto knife you got.;)

JBLnsince1959
02-22-2006, 06:10 PM
here's a good rule of thumb if you are not handy....

If you have to ask how to do something...DON'T DO IT...

Put the grills on, sit back and enjoy the music...

grumpy
02-22-2006, 06:31 PM

Tip #1 Use the sharpest Xacto knife you got.

be willing to risk chalking up a driver to experience (and the professional reconer).

I took out the center first, then -tried- as much as possible to cut between the
remaining ring of aluminum and the cone (stay in the glue). If you just pull on the
aluminum, you're almost guaranteed to get the glue and at least part of the cone (bad).
Sharp xacto, steady hand, patience, voila. Yeah. Now what do you use to glue the
new dustcap back on? Damned if I'm gonna tell you 'cause I know what I used ain't right, but I'm not sellin' 'em so I don't have to worry about pleasing anyone but
myself. Maybe Edge or Gordon or ?? have a favorite... -grumpy

sdaniel
02-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I read the tape solution, but to get it to stick, you have to push it on.

So how about a piece of rubber hose, like automotive vacume line, hooked up to a vacume source? I havent tried it.

For non painted caps, the right glue/solvent combination would allow you to pull it out with a thread.

SD

If you dont have a shop vac or other vacume source you might have to ask the local blonde bimbo or maybe a serious pot-head for help.

That joke sucks.

Titanium Dome
02-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I've never tried to do this dust cap removal myself, because I've seen other nonprofessionals do it, and they've always screwed it up. Some guys have been willing to sacrifice a driver or two to perfect this skill, but I rarely have any extras, so I leave it to people who know how to do this sort of thing.

It's not realistic to think you can pull the dents out of Aluminum domes, even with a strong vacuum. Even if by some miracle you get them to "pop," they're still distorted and unsightly.

It would be interesting to see a toker try to suck it back to shape, though.

hmolwitz
02-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Worked great for me with a piece of clear 1/4" hose, but there is no way to get the creases out. The funtion of the dust cap is to keep dust out of the voice coil, and a small dent will not affect that. If it sounds good leave it alone........ Harry

Phil Ivkovich
02-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I have used hot glue gun and a small stick. This type of glue is not real stickey it peels right off smooth plastic. There using this method to pull dents on autos.

JuniorJBL
02-23-2006, 06:36 PM
The funtion of the dust cap is to keep dust out of the voice coil, and a small dent will not affect that.... Harry

Some other uses of dust caps (Aluminum) is to extend the HF of the driver as well;)

usekgb
02-17-2011, 05:03 PM
OK folks...... JBL quit selling these dust caps a couple years ago. Bummer, because I have a mid with a dented aluminum dust cover.:( The way to repair them, if you can find the part, is to cut out the center dome with a brand new x-acto or utility knife. Make a very shallow cut, as you don't want to cut in to the cone or accidentally sever one of the lead wires. Leave the small amount that is glued to the paper cone there. If you try to remove it, it will weaken the paper cone at a very crucial spot, right outside the voice coil where the highest stresses on the cone are. next, apply a very thin coat of black dome glue or white surround glue (available from many sources...... I always got mine from Orange County Speaker) to the angled edge on the bottom of the dust cap. Seriously, a little goes a LONG way here. Next, carefully lower the dust cap over the remaining metal ring that should still be attached to the cone and line it up so you can't see the remnants of the old cone anymore. Use a soft tool (I always used a teflon re-coning block) to seat the edges of the dust cover. Don't use a metal tool, as this will dent the new dust cover. I learned this the hard way! Let it dry for a couple hours, and you are good to go. I've probably done over 100 of these, and it has worked like a charm every time. there's no mess, and you mid looks like the kids never even pushed them in!:)

Cheers,
Zach

usekgb
02-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Pic, where do I get these little orange foam pieces, can I make them? And is this indentation anything to worry about?

Those little orange spots aren't foam. Those are the glue that hold the lead wires in place. As for the foam on the front, JBL still had it available the last time I checked. It comes in to varieties. There is the older, open foam type, and the newer dense foam type. It looks like you have the newer type. This foam does degrade over time, and should be replaced it it is starting to crumble. It's actually very easy to do. You just get under one edge with a finger nail, and slowly peel the old one off. There is a very thin piece of adhesive plastic on the bottom of the foam that makes it easy to get it off in one piece. When removing the old foam, make sure that you pull in the same direction as the lead wires in order to minimize the possibility of pulling a lead wire loose. When you get the old one off, just apply the replacement right over where the old one was.

As for the dome on the LE25, don't try to replace it. They are a royal PITA! it's doable, but it never looks quite right.

BMWCCA
02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
The post you're responding to is five-years-old in a couple of days! Happy Birthday.

Nightbrace has left the building. :applaud: