PDA

View Full Version : 110's vs 112's delayed

ironman
02-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Well, I had posted that I would A/B my L-110's/L-112's not to long ago. Since I had dented domes on the 033's I decided to replace them so as for a fair shot. Bought a pair of eBay -
"These little speakers are in great condition, near perfect for the age. As you can see they look great! These are used but not abused". Got home tonight and the 033's were awaiting.
Admired the perfect packing job and was pleasantly surprised to find the domes unmolested by shipping.OHM tested the first, no problem - the second, and SH*T ! DOA ! Pop them both in hoping against hope (amazing what denial can do to one ain't it !). D-E-A-D, dead. Definitely abused ! They came from a pair of L-150's. I bought my L-110's in '78, brought them to more than one
LOUD party in my, ahem, "immature" years. The original 033's handled it all w/o a problem (till they got the dreaded index finger thrust). Even so, they sounded fine to my ears, just - well, you know, the cosmetic issue. I wrote the seller (tons of positive feedback) and hope he is willing to do "the right thing". Even so, I'm now back on the hunt for an unmolested 033.
I know already that dynamically the L-112's walk over the L-110's. But, there are pros and cons to every speaker. I wanted to live awhile with both (alternating) and see which I tended to gravitate to after a month or so. My next step was going to be replacing the LE5-10's and 12's and then x-over upgrades. Delayed gratification once again
(but, but I WANT IT NOW !). Praying I'm not stuck with a
single $112.00 033 !:biting:

Nightbrace
02-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Lemme guess Ebay right, from my experience its lucky one of them worked. I'd contact the seller and see if he'll refund your money and take them back, if not sell them as is and find another set.

Live and Learn and don't use Ebay, unless your selling junk.

ironman
02-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Hello Nightbrace - I should add that this guy went all out to package these. He made custom cut-out cardbord enclosures
to protect the cones. Then he tripled boxed them. I e-mailed
him and he just responded that he wanted to make it "right".
Figuring I'll end it back for 1/2 refund - the second one sounds fine. Damn shame though, pulled from L-150's with
back to back serial #'s. They look flawless otherwise. I don't htink he went through all the trouble knowing one was cooked. Hopefully this will work out. I've searched all through the marketplace forum here and haven't seen any for sale. At least here you can bet they've been tested first.

ironman
02-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Well, the gentleman turned out to be a stand-up guy. Not only did he refund half the auction price (one 033 is fine) but half of the shipping too and told me not to bother sending the speaker back in order to get the refund. I lucked out on this one ! :applaud: Now I need 2 LE5-10's and the 110's should be good to go - and ready for crossover mods. (and then there are the grilles - does it ever end ?).

John
02-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I would bet that the 033 is not cooked but the voice coil lead has a break in it somewhere between the coil and the terminal, most likely buried in the phenolic edge.;)

Fred Sanford
02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
I've got some L110 grilles I'll probably never use (I garbage-picked them, cabs were aesthetically challenged, and woofers were Radio Shack replacements). I've currently got Vifa Woofers in them, which sound great but don't allow the grilles to mount, and I use them over my recording console and don't really want grilles on 'em anyway. Where are you located, Ironman? I'm not sure where they're stashed (what house, even), but I should be able to find them/see them/photo them soon.

je

ironman
02-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Sounds good Fred ! Let me know when you find them - I'll send you a private e-mail in a minute.:applaud:

ironman
02-27-2006, 10:03 PM
John:
"I would bet that the 033 is not cooked but the voice coil lead has a break in it somewhere between the coil and the terminal, most likely buried in the phenolic edge".
Is this something your average Joe can correct/fix ?

ironman
02-27-2006, 10:08 PM
WTF did I do in the above post ? Does this bode well for my question LOL ! I thought what I was doing was inserting an html <i> tag - guess not !:blink: