PDA

View Full Version : 2344

sa660
05-01-2003, 05:42 AM
People,

I found a model shop in france that can do a 3D scan of the horn 2344 and reproduce it to any scale and with any material like the beautiful wooden horn posted on previous forum.
What will happend to the sound if the horn is scale twice to obtain a 2" horns?

Robh3606
05-01-2003, 07:39 AM
I am no expert but I don't think it will work. You will change the loading flare frequency and double the diffraction slot width so it will not be the same horn. You really need to take a close look at how it loads into the throat in the first 3 inches to where the difraction slot is. The originals were 2 piece with an aluminum throat. On the A's they are all 1 piece but I would love to know how they were able to mold it in one piece. It really is not a simple flare. The physical dimensions are part of the design you cannot change them and expect the same response. If it was only that easy. You may indeed end up with a usable horn but the bandwidth will be shifted and not optimized for the same range as the original.

Mr. Widget
05-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Just for my professional curiosity, how much would they charge to do the scan and make a single pair 1:1 scale in a domestic hardwood, say beech or pear?