PDA

View Full Version : OK.....Dumb question.......

SUPERBEE
02-15-2006, 01:13 AM
Why cant I "Bi Wire" my Olympus speakers?
I have all tube McIntosh and the Olympus are wired directly from the amps but why cant I also wire in the leads from my home theater amp so that I can use my Olympus as the front L & R speakers

I have never done this and I am sure there is a reason why it wont work but I am a drunk idiot and need it "Splained" to me

Nightbrace
02-15-2006, 01:52 AM
IT can, but you need an amp selector, try a Niles, problem is you got to get up and change the sources, not sure if they make an automatic one.

Zilch
02-15-2006, 02:18 AM
Because whichever amp you're using will be driving the output of the other one you've got hooked up in parallel with the speakers.

There may be consequences.... ;)

norealtalent
02-15-2006, 01:06 PM
I know a guy who did that once. He let the big smoke out.:(

SUPERBEE
02-15-2006, 01:08 PM
OK, I knew there was a reason NOT to do it

Bad idea........Moving on
:banghead:

Titanium Dome
02-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Follow this link and roll your cursor over the product links.

http://www.russound.com/speaker_selectors.htm

There are several ways to accomplish your goal with an intermediary piece of equipment. Think: two amps in, one speaker pair out.

SUPERBEE
02-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Follow this link and roll your cursor over the product links.

http://www.russound.com/speaker_selectors.htm

There are several ways to accomplish your goal with an intermediary piece of equipment. Think: two amps in, one speaker pair out.

THANX!

I think that is going to work. Now I will just have my Olympus up front so I wont have to look at those crappy modern HT speakers

eyedoc
02-15-2006, 04:48 PM
superbee

I have a RussSound speaker switcher box thingy that has a circuit for two separate amplifiers. I have not used it that way for years, but it is possible. I used to use a pioneer Dolby receiver that I used one “amp setting” for speaker “B” giving me 2 equal pairs of L100t3s, and then when watching movies, would switch the box to the other “amp setting” that was hooked up to the surround speakers, thus making the second pair of 100s as the rear surround. I never had any problem with the system in the several years of use in that combination. I am sure that there are boxes available that would do the same.

eyestrain.