PDA

View Full Version : Is there a recone kit for the K2 475nd horn driver?

Niklas Nord
10-10-2003, 02:36 PM
I seek a replacement, recone kit for the horn driver on the s9500 K2..

Is there anyway to obtain this? Cost? Different version för the Japaneese market and Europe market?

4313B
10-10-2003, 03:04 PM
D8R475ND is the diaphragm part number and it is available and in stock.

Niklas Nord
10-11-2003, 03:28 AM
I have heard that there is TWO kind of diaphragms,
one for the japaneese market wich has some kind of
black damping material on, so the K2 will roll off earlier
in the higher octaves..

THEN there is the kind that I have, a diaphragm without this
damping material...

Niklas Nord
10-11-2003, 03:29 AM
not avail: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Goes%20Into%20List/03%20Goes%20Into%20List.pdf

oh no, what should i do now?

Earl K
10-11-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi Niklas

The S-9500 literature quite clearly indicates that its' diaphragm ( 475nd ) is lightly dusted in black aquaplas ( plastic ) for damping purposes. If you have found a 475nd driver with a bright silvery metallic diaphragm - then I'd suggest someone swapped in the wrong diaphragm for whatever reason. It sounds to me that this "story" about the black plastic coated diaphragm ( existing for just the Japanese ) is just a sales tool ( & I'm being really nice here ) . Can you take a picture of this diaphragm ( you want to replace ) and post it here ?

What type of diaphragm exists in your other 475nd driver ?

Giskard has already stated the 475nd diaphragm is once again available. That pdf is from JBLPro and is not necessarily the most up to date info . The 475nd diaphragm comes through Harman parts services.

regards <> Earl K :)

4313B
10-11-2003, 07:29 AM
"Giskard has already stated the 475nd diaphragm is once again available."

Well, the kits have probably been sitting at Harman Service for quite some time, or Pro recently sent them all over to Harman Service and then marked them as OBSOLETE/NLA. If Pro marks a kit OBSOLETE/NLA then it is highly unlikely that kit will ever be run again. Pro is very quick to wash their hands of service parts and will send kits over to Harman Service where they will sit for years and years and years until they are finally exhausted.

BTW, it appears Harman Service has a very few 066 and LE20 kits left in stock. Once they are gone.....

4313B
10-11-2003, 07:54 AM
You might try these guys to see if they can get you the correct kits:

Harman Scandinavia
Birkeroed, DK
Phone: 45-45 99 8570
Fax: 45-45 99 8579
[email protected]

Niklas Nord
10-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the help guys.

The thing is that i can hear some kind of rattle or strong distorsion in the K2´s horn..

Aspecially on some of the sound from the new Kraftwerk CD, tour the paris, or what it´s called..

the dividing freq should be 650hz, is that low for a horn?

subwoof
10-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Hello giskard - exactly what is the difference between the ( japan D8R475ND ) and pro ( D8R2450SL ) diaphrams?

I have had both in my hand at the same time and could *not* see a difference!

:) sub

Niklas Nord
10-12-2003, 10:31 PM
What I have been told, is that the Japaneese version has black damping material on it... Aquaplas i think..

subwoof
10-13-2003, 05:06 AM
Hallo! they both have the black coating. As I said, they looked identical! sub

Niklas Nord
10-13-2003, 06:11 AM
Aha, okey!
maybe this weekend i will take some photos..

Earl K
10-13-2003, 06:41 AM
Hi SubWoof

Here's some pure speculation. Maybe the titianium dome ( & maybe the voice coil) have different weights. This would be somewhat logical considering the motors ( 2450SL vs 475nd ) have different gauss levels present in the gap. JBL traditionally has matched flux levels to the weight of their moving parts (pistons) or vice a versa. This is especially true since the beginning of the nineties and all the new engineering in the K2 stuff.

I have 2, 2450SL diaphragms ( in remagged 2440 motors ). These diaphragms have different responses ( no matter what motor ). My first ( over 3 years old ) has more top end. The most recent is very close in response to a typical 2441 ( not really a bad thing ). The plastic coating on the second is also obviously darker ( maybe thicker ). When it arrived , I thought "Oh, Oh," QC at JBL for these devices isn't plus or minus 2 db .

I'm pondering buying a 475nd diaphragm just to check on this weight theory. ( Very Expensive R&D )

regards <. Earl K :)

Niklas Nord
10-13-2003, 06:45 AM
So Earl, what should be the best kit for the K2 driver?

Do you have any information about the price?

Earl K
10-13-2003, 07:12 AM
Hi Niklas

At this juncture,you should only put in a 475nd diaphragm into the 475nd driver. I wouldn't put in a 2450Sl diaphragm until someone at JBL says that they are unequivocably / exactly the same piece.

Price ? here in North America they list for around $ 200 US. My last 2450SL diaphragm cost me @ $285. Cdn.

Giskard is on record as saying ( in this thread ) the 475nd diaphragm is now available . Solicit a full repair price from the Swedish Harman dealer . My advice; if you find you actually need a diaphragm, purchase it and have it installed from only a qualified JBL repair facility. Don't do it yourself. That'll void all warranties , etc, etc, etc, . Insist on having the diaphragm matched ( or as close as possible ) to what you have in the other channel.. Insist on a High Frequency Response Curve print out. Travel both drivers with horns attached to the repair centre. Titanium isn't supposed to fatigue , meaning any sales pitch that you must buy two "should" go out the window. Stress fractures from overdriving the horns is another matter. You may want to get two installed and put the old diaphragms aside for a "rainy day" .

regards <. Earl K

Niklas Nord
10-13-2003, 08:09 AM
Okay, but WHERE at JBL should i turn to to seek advice
regarding this issue? maybe there os some kind of upgrade,
or some other diaphragm that suits my needs..

Is there some mail adress to JBL where i can write and ask?

Earl, what is the name of the diaphragm that you think is the correct one for the 475nd ?

4313B
10-13-2003, 08:28 AM
"Okay, but WHERE at JBL should i turn to to seek advice
regarding this issue?"

What issue? The 475ND has always used the D8R475ND. Order a new pair of D8R475ND's, have them installed at your favorite Authorized JBL Service Center and enjoy the loudspeakers or dump them on eBay.

"I have heard that there is TWO kind of diaphragms,
one for the japaneese market wich has some kind of
black damping material on, so the K2 will roll off earlier
in the higher octaves..

THEN there is the kind that I have, a diaphragm without this
damping material..."

The designer of the S9500 has never heard any such rumor.

"Is there some mail adress to JBL where i can write and ask?"

http://www.jbl.com/home/product_support/JBL_contactus.asp?ProdId=S9500%20-%20K2

Earl K
10-13-2003, 08:29 AM
Niklas

First;
Giskard posted the "correct" part number in the second posting of this thread. That is the replacement diaphragm you should seek out .

Next;
You should consider registering your purchase with Harman. Go to Harman Product Support for the S9500 (http://www.jbl.com/home/product_support/default.asp?ProdId=S9500%20-%20K2) and follow the appropriate links. At the bottom of the page, there is a link for contacting Harman. This page has all the info you should need as an International Owner of a S9500.

Finally;
I would think ( arguably ) that the S9800 is the only "upgrade" to your S9500 .

regards ,> Earl K

( maybe I'll delete this redudant posting later )

Niklas Nord
10-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Thank you all.
Please keep in mind that I´m trying to understand your language
also, also trying to respond correcly.

maybe you think I´m a little bit dizzy :rolleyes:

I hope you can overlook that

4313B
10-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Niklas Nord
Thank you all.
Please keep in mind that I´m trying to understand your language
also, also trying to respond correcly.

maybe you think I´m a little bit dizzy :rolleyes:

Not really, I'm just confused as to why you would find a non-475ND diaphragm in a 475ND. It "sounds" like someone was monkeying around with your system. In their infinite wisdom they probably thought they were performing an "upgrade".

I've replaced my scathing response to that possibility with the following in order to keep from being permanently banned from this site.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Niklas Nord
10-13-2003, 08:49 AM
I have been told, that the first owner of the K2 replaced the membrane with some other membrane, due to an upgrade recommended by the swedish JBL retailers. The seccond owner told me this, i have no idea. it will be interesting to find out when i open it up..

The seccond owner saw the old membrane, the first one (original), that was all black and apperantly due to the swedish JBL retailers, was a membrane for the Japaneese market JUST becouse in japan they liked the topp to roll of earlier..

I dont know, I´m just asking you at this forum, pleae dont get MAD at me.

:confused:

4313B
10-13-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm not "MAD" at you at all. It's good that you can get hold of the past owners to get the scoop on what was done. Perhaps you can obtain those original diaphragms somehow. It would be nice for you to be able to hear the system as originally designed. I realize JBL is pretty stupid and has no real concept about how to build loudspeakers but you should be the one to decide which diaphragm to use in your S9500's, not a Swedish retailer, or a previous owner.

I guess the bottom line is that you aren't satisfied with the sound from these loudspeakers in their present state? Something must not be quite right?

Niklas Nord
10-13-2003, 11:24 AM
i can hear some kind of "rattle" in the horn, both of them..
but only on certain records..

boputnam
10-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Niklas Nord
i can hear some kind of "rattle" in the horn, both of them..
but only on certain records.. I'm not mad either - only plenty goofy... :nutz:...

That "rattle" suggests (to me...) either:

1) those (wrong) replacement diaphragms don't fit correctly.
2) the brackets supporting the driver (if there are any...) are loose / need tightening.

I'd bet you don't mean "only on certain records", but really mean "only at certain frequencies". You should sweep these and report where how the "rattle" occurs.

Scratch that. You should "Order a new pair of D8R475ND's" and get 'em installed, and my grab is that rattle will :slink:

Niklas Nord
10-13-2003, 02:08 PM
You know Kraftwerk, on the new CD called "Tour de France", there is some elektronic sounds that are rather "broad", a large
frequency-span.. some tracks on this record, makes the horn
sound bad, and I´m not playing THAT loud..

Niklas Nord
11-06-2003, 03:43 AM
here is a picture of the diaphragm
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1990-k2-s9500/page04.jpg

I dont know if my look like that

Maron Horonzakz
11-06-2003, 07:34 AM
NORD....... It would be nice if we had a sweep frecuency chart on your PRESENT DIAPHRAM to compare to original 475 diaphram. This would show what high frequency roll off the JAPANESE are supposed to like. If you saw these charts plus HEARD the compareison you then could judge on witch you prefer. On the one diaphram thats giving you trouble it might need shims to place it a tad further away from phaze plug.

Niklas Nord
11-06-2003, 08:12 AM
The document also says

475nd 16ohm

hmmm :confused: