PDA

View Full Version : HF altec 3000B

lucorient
10-10-2003, 01:31 PM
HI ! hello , do you know the very little compression HF altec 3000B, and where find diaphragme for this , because I have 2 destroy.....( i'm french excuse for the bad english ...)
thanks !

Paul Joppa
10-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Hard to find. It is actually a microphone diaphragm. You are more likely to find the microphone part than the speaker part, but they are identical. I'm sorry, I don't know the microphone or part number.

I had used them in the acoustics lab where I worked before retirement, because they put out more very high frequency energy than the "real" compression drivers (2425s, 288s etc). Needless to say, we destroyed them fairly often because we were pushing to get as much signal as possible, up around 27kHz. By the mid-90s it had become very difficult to get replacement parts. Around that time I switched to the Radio Shack "pod" tweeter, which I understand is also out of production now - never did find out who made it. It would produce a pretty smooth output to around 40kHz, but is like the Altec, easily destroyed.

lucorient
10-11-2003, 04:34 AM
ok thanks for the reponse , (excuse i don't speak english well..)
i have received a reponse another day in a another site ( i dont remember the link , i think it's a "reparation_site_altec_ diaphragmes_and coils" )"
>>>The 3000B uses a microphone element for a driver. I think you can still get one from Bill Hayes at MicroMike Labs. His address is listed in the "Where To Get Things Repaired" part of this website. Jim <<
Ok , but it is valable to church this diaphragm , thr 3000B is very good?? or it is necessary to seek jbl 2505H for exemple ?

because i am 414 + 806/811 , and i don't know if it is neccessairy to adjoin a " hyper tweeter horn" for the very high frequency
(The son actually is good !! )
thanks !

scott fitlin
10-11-2003, 09:29 AM
You might try Great Plains Audio and see if Bill has any diaphragms for that unit!

I have never heard them, but they are rare and considered collectors items!

Hope this helps.

thevott
10-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Functioning Altec 3000 series horns are always in demand. Crossed over at 3000Hz they are usually found on Duplex loudspeakers (601 and 602, I think) but were also bracket mounted on other systems. Unfortunitelly more seem to be burned out than not. The horns were made of both fiberglass and zink, though the zink version seems to be the most common. My brother has a toasted pair down in Alabama. Mabee I can get him to crack one open and email some picts.
thevott

lucorient
10-11-2003, 12:18 PM
ok ! thank !
i had buy there is 3 yeard , 2 baffle altec "coronado 841A "equiped of 414Z and the 300B (destroy ), i have so , use the cabinet "coronado" whith 806A/811 .it's good !

lucorient
10-11-2003, 12:27 PM
yes i had question the site there is 2 yeard : http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

but the reponse is negatif ... no diaphragm in stock... :(

thevott
10-11-2003, 03:49 PM
I just remembered something. I called Altec back in the '80s to order a set of these diaphragms and the reply was that the 3000E was a factory-repair-only tweeter and they would not ship me the diaphragms.

thevott