PDA

View Full Version : Biased N-4412 Network

rek50
02-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Has anyone done this (Biased N-4412)? I was "Studying" in the library:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1986-4400.htm
Page three (Dividing Networks) "...employs detailed conjugate circuits..."
I then looked at: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Studio%20Monitor%20Series/4412LR.pdf
I "Thought" a conjugate was a cap and resistor, in series. Where are the "conjugate circuits" ?
I'd like to explore the "Biased Network" sound after reading many threads about their improvement to a "Price Point" network.
Should all the caps "40, 17, 14, 3 uF" be doubled? If using Solens, should they be Bypassed (.01 uF AC-T) as well?

Ian Mackenzie
02-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi,

They do not always use R/C conjurates although there is a resister / shunted on the woofer.

I note the capacitors are bypassed.

Why don't you try charge - coupling tweeter for starters and see what happens. Always double the exisiting value for charge - coupling

rek50
02-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi, Yes I see the capacitors are bypassed on the N-4412 Network. I wanted to make a "Charge-Coupled" version of this network, and wanted to know if the "Charge Coupled" capacitors should be bypassed. Also, Should all the caps "40, 17, 14, 3 uF" be "Charge Coupled"? Yes, I could try charge - coupling the tweeter for starters and see what happens. In short, after reading the numerous posts on/about Biased/Charge-Coupled Networks, I'm SOLD on the concept, Sound Unheard (Sight Unseen). I wanted to go "Full Bore" and build new Charge Coupled networks and place the "Original Networks" unaltered, in one of many boxes strewn about the place, for "Safe Keeping/Future Use" HA. Thanks...

4313B
02-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Order all your parts from Solen and try them. I'm currently building six pairs of biased Solen networks using all Solen components. I do use the Erse coils for large values such as the 18 mH coil in the 4435. Otherwise I simply use the Solen Perfect Lay coils.

Ian Mackenzie
02-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Six pairs!

So your the guy who eats up all the Solen stock!:D