PDA

View Full Version : Is this an early Altec 604???

tom1356
02-12-2006, 09:02 AM
I have been told it is a 1940's English speaker but it does resemble an early Altec 604. Notice no screw holes in the frame for mounting. Anyone recognize it?
Thanks
Tom

Steve Schell
02-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi Tom,

This is a fascinating speaker. It does look English in a way, and if it was contained in the cloth bag that would favor it being British or European. It doesn't look at all like it was made by Altec, but their product most likely inspired the design.

The shape and throat size of the multicellular horn are reminiscent of the Altec Lansing 601 field coil Duplex, which had a smaller horn throat than later 604 horns due to the 2" woofer voice coil diameter. The magnet structures appear to be of the outer ring magnet type, a method that was used a lot in the 1930s and 1940s, before the postwar magnet materials like Alnico V made the use of a center ring magnet practical.

Do you have this speaker? I would love to see more pictures of it, particularly of the woofer cone spider, rear of the high frequency driver and the h.f. diaphragm if possible.

tom1356
02-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Steve,
Here you go saving the day again! I didn't want to keep bothering you with my questions... but you are the encyclopedia.
I am in the process of acquiring a pair of them in the original cabinets. They were removed from the BBC studios. The cabinets have an add on 2.5" Lorenz LP-65 tweeter. These are the only other pictures I have for now. I'll try to get the pictures you want.
Thanks
Tom