PDA

View Full Version : Something differennt

rloggie
02-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Thought I'd post a photo of my new system. After much JBL vintage, here are my latest aquisitions. Correct size cabs with TAD 1601's and TAD 4001's with 500hz horns. Cabinets have an unusual "horn" indention where the woofers sit. The whole front is foam faced. The crossovers I'm using are not the ideal, Mapo 800HZ externally fitted, but sound pretty good for the inital trial. Power is Cary 805b's with 50b preamp, Sony 9000es cd and mid fi turntable. I'm working on a tube pre, crossover to bi-amp, but this will take a little time to realize. In the mean time, I'm enjoying listening to most all of my cd/lp collection all over again.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

JBLnsince1959
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
WOW, looks great......... :applaud:

norealtalent
02-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Likey, likey. :D Sounds impressive, pun intended.:bouncy:

Mr. Widget
02-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow... those are very fine amps! The speakers...??? nice components, if they work for you then that's great, but they certainly are not as pretty as the Olympuses you had.:( OK, I have to admit it... I am biased. I love the look of the Olympus.:D

I have the same CD/DVD player. Once I took the digital output and ran it into my DEQX as a DAC, the soundstage really improved. The difference between my SACDs and CDs shrank considerably.

Widget

rloggie
02-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Wow... those are very fine amps! The speakers...??? nice components, if they work for you then that's great, but they certainly are not as pretty as the Olympuses you had.:( OK, I have to admit it... I am biased. I love the look of the Olympus.:D

I have the same CD/DVD player. Once I took the digital output and ran it into my DEQX as a DAC, the soundstage really improved. The difference between my SACDs and CDs shrank considerably.

Widget

The Olympus with your walnut horns were exceptional, both in looks and sound. I've never been happy with another driver since using the TAD4001 with those 2397 clones. Hence this purchase. As you remember, the last ones were from a professional application and although I thought they sounded great, these have never been "on the road" and I would be surprised if they didn't measure considererably better. Too much equiptment change to compare from memory. I stilll need to find the right wooden horns to fit these cabs (and drivers needs (650hz cutoff). Small detail, but I do prefer the upright style cabinets to the horizonal Olympus for the horns height.
I just bought a Delphi cabinet. I wonder if Olympus cabs can be far behind?

Rolf
02-10-2006, 03:10 AM
Indeed a very nice looking system.:applaud:

Rolf

grumpy
02-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Very nice... and unique in my experience. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Reminds me a -little- of what I was playing with last night (although not nearly as refined
as your system): biamped E145 + Altec 811B/807-Z in scruffy boxes. Would be
interesting to hear the extended response that I expect your system has... Do you have
any info on the cabinets (e.g., is the foam "horn" around the 1601 purely for midrange
directional control)?

:cheers:

-grumpy

hapy._.face
02-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Looks pretty! I have a pair of the cary 805's (once drove a pair of Totem monitors before discovering JBL), and as beautiful as they were- I couldn't get em right (soft bottom end- yet juicy midrange!) They sure are fun to look at, though!

The cabinets you have are lovely! I envy the TAD. Congrats!! ;)

rloggie
02-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Hapy Face, You're right on. These speakers will benefit from bi-amping. I'd like to try a pr of 2a3 amps on the bottom. If that doesn't do it, and I think it would, then maybe go solid state.

edgewound
02-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Who needs a fireplace when you got all those sexy tubes glowing at you? Maybe it's an age thing...but the more I see tube amps....and I play guitar thru them....the more I want some for HiFi. Must be like a good wine.

Nice looking system.

spkrman57
02-10-2006, 09:28 AM
And if you like the sound of the amps, then it is good!

I am another fan of SET amps and 2-ways of high efficiency.

Ron

bigredplane
02-10-2006, 07:35 PM
And if you like the sound of the amps, then it is good!

I am another fan of SET amps and 2-ways of high efficiency.

Ron
Me too SET amps great with JBL 2ways. CARY SEI300's at my house.

bigredplane
02-10-2006, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Rolf]Indeed a very nice looking system.:applaud:

I would 2nd that :rockon2: :rockon2: :rockon2:

bigredplane
02-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Thought I'd post a photo of my new system. After much JBL vintage, here are my latest aquisitions. Correct size cabs with TAD 1601's and TAD 4001's with 500hz horns. Cabinets have an unusual "horn" indention where the woofers sit. The whole front is foam faced. The crossovers I'm using are not the ideal, Mapo 800HZ externally fitted, but sound pretty good for the inital trial. Power is Cary 805b's with 50b preamp, Sony 9000es cd and mid fi turntable. I'm working on a tube pre, crossover to bi-amp, but this will take a little time to realize. In the mean time, I'm enjoying listening to most all of my cd/lp collection all over again.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

Is that 2345 horns?

Magnet3
02-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Wow....very nice! I'm impressed!

hapy._.face
02-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Hapy Face, You're right on. These speakers will benefit from bi-amping. I'd like to try a pr of 2a3 amps on the bottom. If that doesn't do it, and I think it would, then maybe go solid state.

Yep. The classic scenario (ss bottom/tube top) is not without merit. Hey- the fun is exploring!
I think most people that use a Cary 805 will find greater pleasure when dedicated to mids and highs- they really shine in that restricted range (Gives them a little relief from bottom end strain.)

I really like the set up you have- again, beautiful cabs. Redwood City is no eyesore either, if memory serves me. Marin County?

Is that a bichon frise?:p

rloggie
02-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Is that a bichon frise?[/QUOTE]

rloggie
02-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Is that a bichon frise?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my wife's favorite pup.:o: