PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea to conserve hosting space

hapy._.face
02-09-2006, 02:43 PM
"Chat?" As in dedicated category. (??)

Also- give all the religious/political comments the boot. That's bound to flame somebody. :flamer: Lord knows I've already pi$$ed off somebody. Perhaps we should just stop while we can?? Oh, who am I kidding(?)- we can't stop!

norealtalent
02-09-2006, 03:17 PM

Give all the religion/political comments the boot. That's bound to flame somebody. :flamer:

The chief offender knows- I got a choice PM after slamming pres Bush.

Yes, I ran a spell check first!:rolleyes: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Zilch
02-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Speaking of space, I find it irritating that some members find it somehow essential to hit the "Quote" button and repeat the sometimes huge content of a previous post without purpose.

While it's often important to establish the context of a response, I try to edit it down to the crux what I'm responding to, within the "Quote" commands. It's unnecessary to force readers to scroll through the whole deal they just read again.

[Helps me feel less guilty about my own wordiness, too.... :p ]

Robh3606
02-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah I could live without all that BS. I will go one better and say keep the idle chatter about your own personal vision to save the world to PM's and try to stick to things audio.

Rob:)

hapy._.face
02-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Z-

In re post#3:agreed. Let's go step further: shorthand

Robh3606
02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
"Let's go step further: shorthand"

Do you think that's too far??? I don't. The only times I have had to come into a thread as a Moderator is when someone down right flames a guy, there is trouble brewing or it's a cat fight. Most of these have been covering topics that are best left outside this forum. As far as I am concerned nothing about race, religion or politics has any business on a audio hobbiest site. Yeah I know Im a fricking closed mind AXXXLE but hey, that's who I am. If I wan't that crap I can pick up a paper. I don't come here for that.

hapy._.face
02-09-2006, 05:21 PM
If anything- I'm here to get AWAY from the dying earth. Isn't that why we turn on the hifi ?? I just want some good ol' dysfunctional escapism. I've learned a great deal of information in a short period of time- I'd like to stay on track with that. When some one posts a news bulletin- I can't refuse comment. It's kind of a distraction- though sometimes - it can be fun (when good taste and humor is exercised). 2 edge sword, ya know...

Robh3606
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
"I can't refuse comment. It's kind of a distraction- though sometimes - it can be fun (when good taste and humor is exercised). 2 edge sword, ya know..."

Your right it can be fun. Sometimes some of the most fun can be really getting into it with your friends. But that's face to face not this emotionless and blind media we use to exchange these thoughts. I have lots of time invested in this forum. I like the way it's a fun place to be and you can be at ease cause the guys are hear to talk speakers. I see what goes on at other sites. Some are awful, they are a wasteland compared to what we have here. I want to keep it that way. I don't want to see this site become just another 10,000 member site where we lost why we came here in the first place.

JuniorJBL
02-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Just how much space are we using?

Mr. Widget
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Just how much space are we using?That's a question for John Nebel... he very generously hosts our site and keeps the information flowing. Since his stewardship began we have had no issues of space and relatively few problems...

Personally I am one of the biggest Off Topic offenders... sorry, but I can't stop myself.

FWIW: the political spew that I sometimes spread is the abridged version... thank (pick your deity or lack there of) for that.:D

Widget

Alex Lancaster
02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
:) I would say, in the LH forums: NO politics, NO religion, NO sports, NO race, NO other language except for accetaple English, there are other forums for that.

Ducatista47
02-11-2006, 06:57 AM
This discussion has the fortunate circumstance of success to frame it. We have all seen sites from active to dead, and the key is like the Three Bear's soup. Not too many, not too few, just right. A flood of unrelated interest seems to be the current concern, but beware the opposite pole, no posts.

What makes this forum so lively, along with the other factors, is the balanced level of input. A strong plus is many topics to keep the input from grinding to a halt when threads go dormant. Perhaps we should bear that in mind when dreaming of a wire and cone only model. The dreadfull other pole, running wild with ten thousand sociopathic "ignorami," must be avoided.

What needs balancing is not only the level of discourse, but also the fun factor. All fun equals active hell and no topic; no fun equals very, very few posts. As in: "I can't remember what gauge wire to use for a Q=2 290hz xover. Now what was the url of that - what was it called- AltecHistory dot net - or was it org - site?" Please remember, no posting equals no input. Member knowledge prodded by member questions (and member musings!) creates the knowledge base.

Don't ask me where the slippery slope lies or how slippery it is - that would be an opinion!

Clark in Peoria.

PS Original Topic. How much hosting space is required for a bouncing happy face vs paragraphs of alphanumeric? Asking, I do not know.

Titanium Dome
02-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Clark, your response shows a lot of reflection on the issue. It's not as direct as the "no..., no..., no...," responses in this thread but it more accurately portrays the kind of reality that we live in rather than a black-and-white, right-or-wrong dualism.

In the course of any normal conversation, side issues routinely come up. It's the nature of discussion. I can't imagine any among us is a masterful enough conversationalist that we don't get off topic or sidetracked.

One way to reduce disaffection with off topic material is for members who don't like it to stay out of the Off Topic area. It's a potential free-for-all in there by design (I think), and an acknowledgement of reality.

If John or Don feel that space is being wasted by too much junk, they'll take care of it one way or another. Rather than use the straw man of limited space to limit expression, I take the opposite tack: donate to the site to help keep it wide-ranging, open and free.

hapy._.face
02-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Clark/Dome-

Beautifully said (as usual). After some deeper thinking, I agree with you. I guess I didn't address my bigger concern well enough; I have a hard time sorting through these threads to get the information I need. I just figured if we could eliminate some of the clutter (politics/religion seemed like an obvious choice) the threads would become somewhat easier to navigate. It took me (a newbie, mind you) nearly a full hour to get the specific info on a 3107 crossover I needed.

This forum rocks, simply put. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to change much- if anything. You guys are right- the dynamic aspects keep it lively and engaging. Great points. At least the information is available, and I should learn to accept the pros and cons of it all. Thanks. :)

norealtalent
02-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Well stated insight Clark and Dome, thank you. Although we all may have come here for different reasons, we all stay here for one same reason, because of something that is really important to us, audio, specifically JBL. I dare say that it is not simply JBL but most importantly, the musical experience of our JBL's and how that experience transcends every aspect of our emotional, psychological and spiritual essence in a manner attained by nothing less than a live performance. This is a magical experience that always gives exactly what is needed, laughter, joy, gratitude, contentment, appreciation, amazement, relaxation, excitement, distraction, sadness, enthusiasm and healing, all in the comfort and security of home. This is the experience that allows the tears to run down my face as a violin cries from across the room begging to be heard, or one that cracks a smile from ear to ear as a bass sax rips through the medly of a fine jazz rift like a lightning bolt torn from a stormy sky. This is the experience that rips my heart to shreds, that reveals to me every aspect of who I am and then offers me the opportunity to put it all back together renewed. These are important things. Sharing those things are why we are here. If JBL's didn't give us our "fix," none of us would have them!These feelings are no less important than the other things in our lives, religion, politics, beliefs, aspirations or experiences and no more separable from our beings. They are all entwined within us, as we are entwined with one another. There is no near, without far...

Off Topic (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
Discussions unrelated to Lansing Heritage or Lansing products

Is there such a thing for any of us?:)

hapy._.face
02-11-2006, 08:35 AM
OK NRT-

pretty prose. I don't know if it's testament to your love of music or just how good those westies are..saxaphones don't exactly rip like thunderstorms from tears of joy on my system...(yet):p

Ducatista47
02-11-2006, 08:42 AM
NRT, you put my writing chops to shame. I should leave the talking to you! I would have just blurted out, "It's all about the music!" But maybe there is more after all...

Since you have intelligently introduced x-factor to the discourse, here goes.

To many of us, even members as new and ignorant as myself, this is also about friends. I was musing on another thread about enjoying putting a face to a mind, like with radio voices. I don't want to seem wierd or scare anyone off, but this is the way we act with friends. Admit it, folks, we, most of us, consider some members to be our friends. Not having met is no barrier in this day and age.

Being friends with someone generally brings some - another big word - respect to the interaction. That is a positive influence indeed.

Since this is a pretty messy subject, I would not blame a moderator for deleting this post immediately.

Clark in Peoria

4313B
02-11-2006, 08:48 AM
A flood of unrelated interest seems to be the current concern, but beware the opposite pole, no posts.I guess you've missed my point. That would be perfectly fine. I'd rather see the Library and Technical aspects of the site greatly expanded. The forum itself could be deleted in it's entirety for all I care. ;) I ask about every four months if we can just go ahead and delete the whole thing. So far no-go. :rotfl::applaud:

Ducatista47
02-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I guess you've missed my point. That would be perfectly fine. I'd rather see the Library and Technical aspects of the site greatly expanded. The forum itself could be deleted in it's entirety for all I care. ;)

Actually, Giskard, your curmudgeonly take on the lighter aspects of this website is well known, and well respected by me at least. Each aspect of this site has its uses for some of the members. Your vast experience and knowledge puts you in a rarified, perhaps unique position of finding most of the forum useless and irritating. Please note that our fun is not quite useless, but rather somewhat informed, though perhaps not by your standards. Irritating, on the other hand, is in the eye of the beholder and completely subjective. I agree sometimes!;)

Clark in Peoria

Robh3606
02-11-2006, 09:13 AM
I don't believe there is an issue with space, it's more what direction the forums are moving. If you have any doubt about how fast this site is growing watch the membership numbers. They are starting to rise very quickly. It's important that we, meaning the present forum members, keep things in line. That especially means how we post and interact with each other while on the boards. Over the past 5 years and through several forums we have seen the site grow. The original site had the Library as it's crown jewel with the forum as a place to chat things Lansing. Now with the number of people here and the depth of knowledge the forum has taken a much more important role to the overall persona of the site. So far we have been pretty lucky with a good membership that has been for the most part self moderating. With the numbers of new people coming in, some of which may be from other sites that are not as fortunate, we have to show them the ropes and what the boundries are. We need to do that by example so remember that when you post. There is a very fine line between banter amongst a bunch of guys on a site for over a year and an actual insult. Many of us have been here for a while and know each other well enough that you can throw out a gentle barb to get a laugh to keep it fun. Basically though after a couple of posts we get back on the original topic. No ones saying we can't have fun but just keep it tempered so the fun doesn't overwelm the thread and make it useless. That the point. As far as freedom of expression well your freedom ends as soon as your post is offensive to another member. That's why we should in general avoid the faithful flame starters RRP as examples.

Robh3606
02-11-2006, 09:16 AM
"Since this is a pretty messy subject, I would not blame a moderator for deleting this post immediately."

Hello Clark

Your fine, I like your other post as well. We should talk about this stuff from time to time. As long as it's civil why not.

JBLnsince1959
02-11-2006, 01:01 PM

Lord knows I've already pi$$ed off somebody. Perhaps we should just stop while we can?? Oh, who am I kidding(?)- we can't stop!

I wouldn't worry about it.....after all you have the right to express yourself and if someone Upsets THEMSELF with your opinion then I think that simply shows a very small mind.

Why are you getting bent out of shape ( or upset)because someone got pissed off from what you wrote. THAT"S THEIR PROBLEM..don't make it yours...if you didn't attack them personally then they REALLY have a problem and need to get professional help......

anyway.. have a great weekend everyone

hapy._.face
02-11-2006, 01:13 PM
You're right '59; Good point(s). ;)

duaneage
02-11-2006, 08:00 PM
A sign of true comradree and friendship is being able to disagree on something and still discuss topics of common interest. I think it's wonderful that even though we all feel different about world events that we all still appreciate the same type of speakers.

Crazy to look at it that way. But then nobody I work with cares one hoot about old JBL equipment and I see them everyday.

But I've decided to stay away from world events in off Topic. How about Motorcycles and Bicycle racing?

norealtalent
02-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Partial[QUOTE=duaneage]A sign of true comradree and friendship is being able to disagree on something and still discuss topics of common interest...
QUOTE]

Well My Friends, I'll drink to that!:cheers:

hapy._.face
02-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Partial[QUOTE=duaneage]A sign of true comradree and friendship is being able to disagree on something and still discuss topics of common interest...
QUOTE]

Well My Friends, I'll drink to that!:cheers:

NRT! PLEASE!! Don't start drinking again- just remember those poor circus people.:( Remember?!? I don't think the girls from the boating company have fully forgiven you :scold: , and that goat :smsex: , the FIRE :bomb: , astroturf, and...well...it's just not good when you drink. And "NO" I'm not smoking again...:p

norealtalent
02-11-2006, 08:48 PM
:offtopic: Minus 10 points!:nanana:

hapy._.face
02-11-2006, 08:51 PM
But I've decided to stay away from world events in off Topic. How about Motorcycles and Bicycle racing?

Hey- I'm down with the bikes and bikes! What's your flavor??:)

Rusnzha
02-15-2006, 03:08 PM
"Let's go step further: shorthand"

As far as I am concerned nothing about race, religion or politics has any business on a audio hobbiest site. Yeah I know Im a fricking closed mind AXXXLE but hey, that's who I am. If I wan't that crap I can pick up a paper. I don't come here for that.

You got that right! :cheers:

JBL 4645
04-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Speaking of space, I find it irritating that some members find it somehow essential to hit the "Quote" button and repeat the sometimes huge content of a previous post without purpose.

While it's often important to establish the context of a response, I try to edit it down to the crux what I'm responding to, within the "Quote" commands. It's unnecessary to force readers to scroll through the whole deal they just read again.

[Helps me feel less guilty about my own wordiness, too.... :p ]

Now that made me, laugh. Can I quote The whole post.:p :rotfl:

I don't believe there is an issue with space, it's more what direction the forums are moving. If you have any doubt about how fast this site is growing watch the membership numbers. They are starting to rise very quickly. It's important that we, meaning the present forum members, keep things in line. That especially means how we post and interact with each other while on the boards. Over the past 5 years and through several forums we have seen the site grow. The original site had the Library as it's crown jewel with the forum as a place to chat things Lansing. Now with the number of people here and the depth of knowledge the forum has taken a much more important role to the overall persona of the site. So far we have been pretty lucky with a good membership that has been for the most part self moderating. With the numbers of new people coming in, some of which may be from other sites that are not as fortunate, we have to show them the ropes and what the boundries are. We need to do that by example so remember that when you post. There is a very fine line between banter amongst a bunch of guys on a site for over a year and an actual insult. Many of us have been here for a while and know each other well enough that you can throw out a gentle barb to get a laugh to keep it fun. Basically though after a couple of posts we get back on the original topic. No ones saying we can't have fun but just keep it tempered so the fun doesn't overwelm the thread and make it useless. That the point. As far as freedom of expression well your freedom ends as soon as your post is offensive to another member. That's why we should in general avoid the faithful flame starters RRP as examples.

Good meaningful post there Rob.:)

Most that do sign up only peek around lurking in shadow peeking at other members posts like some dirty Tom Dick and Harry.:p

You don’t need to sign up to lurk around the photo gallery unless you want to peek at the off-topic. Whoops the cats out the bag now.:p