PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite JBL speaker system and why?

SUPERBEE
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM
I prefer the Olympus system with almost any of the loads offered. IMHO it is one of the best Rock & Roll speakers and they look great. I am also a big fan of the L300's for sound and look.

http://www11.plala.or.jp/se_ke5583/JBL/speaker/olympus.JPG

4313B
02-08-2006, 08:08 PM
That is impossible for me to answer.
I'd have to make a massive pro/con list and add up all the points.
This forum isn't worth that much work.

Audiobeer
02-08-2006, 08:23 PM
"G" man......think of the endless hours of answering PMs to justify your stance to the learning masses. Empty that mailbox and go for it! :p

SUPERBEE
02-08-2006, 08:46 PM

Or just blurt it out there. Thats what I do.

:blah:

hapy._.face
02-08-2006, 08:47 PM

You could streamline so much by doing so!! I'd love to see what your answers are- taste is subjective. No one can debate a person's personal choice. If you posted this- you could single handedly (sp?) sway the buying market. :p Do it-do it do it (cheers)!

hapy._.face
02-08-2006, 08:53 PM
I prefer the Olympus system with almost any of the loads offered. IMHO it is one of the best Rock & Roll speakers and they look great.

'Bee- I can just see your digs! :p Droppin the needle down on some choice punk vinyl, watching your bumfounded guests nearly spill a beer* at the sound explosion. If you lived near me- we'd probably be very good friends!

* I say 'nearly spill a beer' cause if they in fact spilled the beer- they aren't guests anymore.

SUPERBEE
02-08-2006, 09:22 PM
'Bee- I can just see your digs! :p Droppin the needle down on some choice punk vinyl, watching your bumfounded guests nearly spill a beer* at the sound explosion. If you lived near me- we'd probably be very good friends!

* I say 'nearly spill a beer' cause if they in fact spilled the beer- they aren't guests anymore.

HF

Here is my living room with my main listening system (The Paragon is in the front living room), A bit cluttered with memorabilia but I love having it all around. And you are welcome over anytime. I always have cold beer and chilled vodka

http://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/data//525/1472DSCN0772.JPG

http://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/data//525/1472DSCN07761.JPG

hapy._.face
02-08-2006, 09:54 PM
'Bee- Just how I imagined it (well close). You got it going on! Hard to tell- but is that an Opel GT? (not your avatar, of course!)

SUPERBEE
02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
'Bee- Just how I imagined it (well close). You got it going on! Hard to tell- but is that an Opel GT? (not your avatar, of course!)

Opel GT?

If you mean the LP on the left Olympus that is a SEALED copy of "Meet Richard Petty" (with the bonus fold out poster) and that is his BITCHIN #43 Plymouth Superbird

I noticed you commented my Paragon pic and made mention of a blue chair I have in there. Do you know vintage 50s 60s furniture?

hapy._.face
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Opel GT?

If you mean the LP on the left Olympus that is a SEALED copy of "Meet Richard Petty" (with the bonus fold out poster) and that is his BITCHIN #43 Plymouth Superbird

I noticed you commented my Paragon pic and made mention of a blue chair I have in there. Do you know vintage 50s 60s furniture?

Do I!? Better than I know cars! ;)

SUPERBEE
02-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Do I!? Better than I know cars! ;)

Dude!

I have a chair I need the low down on. Its a 50s chrome rocker in the modernist style. If I send you a pic can you help me?

hapy._.face
02-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Dude!

I have a chair I need the low down on. Its a 50s chrome rocker in the modernist style. If I send you a pic can you help me?

Sure. I bet I can describe it for you, though. Is it made of larger tubular chrome steel with a huge sweeping base and a vinyl (usually black) seat and back? If so- this is Italian (came here mid 70's) and was a knock off on a German Thonet built piece. Pretty common- but can still fetch about 3 bills on a good day. Am I right??

The blue chair in your Paragon pic is a Milo Baughman designed piece and his stuff is growing in desire. You can do well selling that puppy, as the market for his stuff is hotter than ever. Easy $500-$700

SUPERBEE
02-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Sure. I bet I can describe it for you, though. Is it made of larger tubular chrome steel with a huge sweeping base and a vinyl (usually black) seat and back? If so- this is Italian (came here mid 70's) and was a knock off on a German Thonet built piece. Pretty common- but can still fetch about 3 bills on a good day. Am I right??

The blue chair in your Paragon pic is a Milo Baughman designed piece and his stuff is growing in desire. You can do well selling that puppy, as the market for his stuff is hotter than ever. Easy $500-$700

I think so..........Like this?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/chair.jpg

hapy._.face
02-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Uh....No. :blink: You got something special there, dude. PM your number and I will drive to verify this for you (you're in NJ, right?). I think you have a very rare design by Mies Van der Rohe. And if you do- think $3-5K. I need to see it to be certain. wow. you did good!

No markings? I imagine the leather slung seat has springs underneath, yes? Look to see if it says anything under that part. I think Knoll was the only authorized manuf of his pieces (in the USA). Where the arm bar and base come together: welded or bolted? If bolted- what does the head look like?

Original rocker version of the current repro MR : http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.knoll.com/db_alt_media/2000/1273_pp.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.knoll.com/products/product.jsp%3Fprod_id%3D50%26flag%3Dcat%26cat_id%3 D7&h=320&w=304&sz=19&tbnid=CdD2XwUiZuufRM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=107&hl=en&start=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmies%2Bchair%26start%3D100%26svnum%3D 10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.art-chair.com/mies/a-5-b-2.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.art-chair.com/mies/a-5.html&h=345&w=300&sz=60&tbnid=qXIl__SIULgrvM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=100&hl=en&start=9&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmies%2Bmr%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr %3D

Mies only made a couple of rockers- and this was one. SUPER RARE SUPERBEE! If it has any kind of patina to authenticate its vintage- it's probably the real deal. Too much infringement for a knockoff that close. I think it is- based on what I can see. I'm speechless. I think you should sell it to me for $300!!:D

SUPERBEE
02-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Uh....No. :blink: You got something special there, dude. PM your number and I will drive to verify this for you (you're in NJ, right?). I think you have a very rare design by Mies Van der Rohe. And if you do- think $3-5K. I need to see it to be certain. wow. you did good!

No markings? I imagine the leather slung seat has springs underneath, yes? Look to see if it says anything under that part. I think Knoll was the only authorized manuf of his pieces (in the USA). Where the arm bar and base come together: welded or bolted? If bolted- what does the head look like?

rocker version of the MR : http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.art-chair.com/mies/a-5-b-2.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.art-chair.com/mies/a-5.html&h=345&w=300&sz=60&tbnid=qXIl__SIULgrvM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=100&hl=en&start=9&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmies%2Bmr%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr %3D

Done and done

Your gonna love the back story on this.

Uncle Paul
02-08-2006, 11:33 PM
L300 because that was the first JBL I ever heard some 27 years ago. It was a revelation in sound and style and I have been stuck on JBL's ever since.

L46 because they are amazing for their size.

My next JBL's, cuz as much as I like the L46 I need more.

Ducatista47
02-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Well, forgive me for being so certain, but I have even ditched my Stax headphones for my 4345's. The most satisfying speakers I have ever heard, anywhere. Superb at low SPL, high SPL, all types of music, all source types and tube or SS. A JBL's JBL. And they are the illustration in the encyclopedia for "balanced."

Only disadvantage? "Uh, Dad, can you turn them down a little? I'm Trying to sleep..."

Clark in Peoria

PS Bee, I liked the S8R much better than the Paragon, at least as a youth when I heard them together. When I began this JBL quest, I was looking to bag a Sovereign or Olympus pair kitted with S8R. And I was raised a Mopar man, rock on!

SUPERBEE
02-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, forgive me for being so certain, but I have even ditched my Stax headphones for my 4345's. The most satisfying speakers I have ever heard, anywhere. Superb at low SPL, high SPL, all types of music, all source types and tube or SS. A JBL's JBL. And they are the illustration in the encyclopedia for "balanced."

Only disadvantage? "Uh, Dad, can you turn them down a little? I'm Trying to sleep..."

Clark in Peoria

PS Bee, I liked the S8R much better than the Paragon, at least as a youth when I heard them together. When I began this JBL quest, I was looking to bag a Sovereign or Olympus pair kitted with S8R. And I was raised a Mopar man, rock on!

You sir, Have great taste!

jim campbell
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
my old L300's in custom cabs are the only ones i ever heard in a home setting at high volume and they were mind blowing.with electronic x overs and tri amped they were good at most types of music from orchestras at full thunder to ecm type stuff to solo voice. they were sounding a little harsh when i sold them but damn that first 20 years was something else.i also heard the altec 19's but they just were not as musical as the jb's but louder than f---.i remember the fulton j in a positive way but its been so long that i really dont remember any details.i loaded a pic of them in an early audio research /dynaco incarnation in member systems if anyone is interested.

4313B
02-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Or just blurt it out there. Thats what I do.
Ok, ok.

My favorite will become apparent by year's end.

It just works on so many levels...

Regis
02-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok, ok.

Hah! We caught you in the act on sincere indecisiveness! Admit it, G, you love more than a few different speakers, for different reasons. :p

4313B
02-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Only because I was only looking at the past and not considering the present or future. :rotfl:

I was blinded by that HUGE list. :p

Any yes, you are correct. - Even the L100. D'oh!

hapy._.face
02-09-2006, 12:03 PM
He's waiting for the new Array a/b's. Right? That could change everything. You can always edit, Giskard....just do it before you get quoted!:p

Sidebar Update: 'Bee's chair is lookin more and more like the real thing. Just got in some better pics- I think we have a high end auction item! More dough for JBL!!!

Titanium Dome
02-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Because I never seem to get rid of any JBLs, I don't have any "I used to have the JBL L9000Be. It was great. I wish I had never burned it for firewood in the blizzard of 1976" stories.

So, I have no regrets or the fondness that nostalgia brings for lost things, but with my current array, I have such a good time with every single one of them!

When I listen to the L100s, I'm so happy when they're reproducing my LPs and cassettes. With the Performance Series, if I'm listening to DVD-A or two-channeling 96/24, the PS is perfect. Down in the home office listening to the iPod thorugh the Simply Cinema set up, I'm just blown away how good it sounds. At the work office, the 4430s (w/ B380) are hard to beat.

And in the shop, it's hard not to love the L250s, the L7s, the XPL160s, or the SVAs that abound there. In the car, those JBL GT...okay, enough. :blah:

Obviously I can't make up my mind. :no:

hapy._.face
02-09-2006, 12:27 PM
No need to 'make up your mind' Dome; You already have: JBL!!! :D

Like the part about the 'firewood...blizzard'.

briang
02-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm fond of the L112 and L96.

I recently swapped in some 4410 monitors and think they sound fantasic.

I'm currently using a Paradigm PW2200 sub (one note wonder IMHO). But I need to go JBL.

Anyone care to spare a pair of Sub1500s that I build a pair of sub boxes for?

SUPERBEE
02-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Because I never seem to get rid of any JBLs, I don't have any "I used to have the JBL L9000Be. It was great. I wish I had never burned it for firewood in the blizzard of 1976" stories.

:blah:

"Back in the blizzard of 76 we kept the house a warm by burning Pappy's 3 Paragons for warmth. They burned real nice like and them thar kids just loved flinging them heavy magnet things at one another"

Harkness
02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
my favorite JBL system has to be the one in my living room.

C40 loaded with 150-4C and 2397 loaded 375's with a 2405 for super-highs.

never heard a Paragon, or a Hartsfield..

an old fuzzy pic of my system..

http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/cml/pics/system/system.jpg

JBLnsince1959
02-10-2006, 04:32 PM

Dome, just face it...you're a JBL slut...you'll listening to anything with JBL on it.. ;)

JBLnsince1959
02-10-2006, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=Harkness]my favorite JBL system has to be the one in my living room.

C40 loaded with 150-4C and 2397 loaded 375's with a 2405 for super-highs.

QUOTE]

man oh man...that is sweet...nice rig

SUPERBEE
02-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Dome, just face it...you're a JBL slut...you'll listening to anything with JBL on it.. ;)\

"JBL Slut"

I like it!

bigredplane
02-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok, ok.

Let me guess it will end in "ti" I will be looking forward for this one Mr. Giskard is one of best on JBL.

boputnam
02-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Any yes, you are correct. - Even the L100. I just knew it. Dammit, Giskard!! :bash:

SUPERBEE
02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
You know I used to shut Dealerships down Bo. They would used the L100 or 4311 to do the old bait and switch routine. Those shenanigans cost them their Authorized Dealerships.

Are you former JBL employee?

4313B
02-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I just knew it. Dammit, Giskard!! :bash:I liked to roll L100's out the back of moving pickup trucks to check their robustness at different speeds.
I mean, what else was I going to do with them... :dont-know
You can only have so many frat parties and then it's time to move on...

SUPERBEE
02-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I liked to roll L100's out the back of moving pickup trucks to check their robustness at different speeds.

At what speeds would you tear up those cheesy foam grilles?

chad
02-11-2006, 12:54 PM
L222, because I'll never forget the one and only time I had an opportunity to experience them. Here in Spokane we used to have a dept. store called Jafco. They had two audio rooms filled with Kenwood, Teac, Phase Linear, Technics, etc. and JBL. Hearing some vintage Spyro Gyra on the L222 and how they dominated the room visually and audibly, that was a life changing experience for me. I have been quite fond of JBL's and contemporary jazz for 25 years.

150a/250ti
02-11-2006, 03:46 PM
250ti i dont have anything better

Titanium Dome
02-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Dome, just face it...you're a JBL slut...you'll listening to anything with JBL on it.. ;)

One time I picked up a speaker along the side of the road that had a JBL sticker affixed to the side of it. I was panting hard when I finally got it out of the back and into the garage. My excitement building, I tore off its grille, reached for my shiny tool, and began opening its front while making a screwing motion. I was all the way in and fingering the crossover when I stopped in shock at the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen when gazing into its round openess: "Manufactured by Bose, Inc."

I'd been so blinded by the JBL sticker, I didn't even realize I was being tricked by an imposter. :spchless:

Titanium Dome
02-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah, those L222 Disco speakers could DANCE. They were heavy, too. Not a casual purchase, to be sure, but I heard a pair in a professor's home, and man they could rock! :dj-party:

hapy._.face
02-11-2006, 06:43 PM
LOL! Dome- that's hilarious! :p Read it like a romance novel. great post, as usual.

Titanium Dome
02-11-2006, 06:47 PM
I liked to roll L100's out the back of moving pickup trucks to check their robustness at different speeds.

What? There's a limit on frat parties?

rgrjit8
02-12-2006, 08:53 AM
I want to say the L-300s because I have lusted for them since I first heard them.

But sticking to what I have experience with...my vote will go to the XPL-200. I'm constantly amazed at the sound they put out, especially when mated with a good sub.

Steve Gonzales
02-13-2006, 12:49 AM
L222, because I'll never forget the one and only time I had an opportunity to experience them. Here in Spokane we used to have a dept. store called Jafco. They had two audio rooms filled with Kenwood, Teac, Phase Linear, Technics, etc. and JBL. Hearing some vintage Spyro Gyra on the L222 and how they dominated the room visually and audibly, that was a life changing experience for me. I have been quite fond of JBL's and contemporary jazz for 25 years.

I like the L220/222 also (duh), especially with the LE85/H92's in place of the stock LE5-9's, kind of an L300 meets the Olympus thing goin' on here. I love em' all though, what ever trips your trigger I say.

hapy._.face
02-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Steve-

Sh!t, dude! :eek:
They look like a group of soldiers- ready to dismantle a house. One question: where are the horns??

norealtalent
02-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Steve-

Sh!t, dude! :eek:
They look like a group of soldiers- ready to dismantle a house. One question: where are the horns??

OOOOH, NICE Sleepers!!!
The horns are where they should have been to start with, newbie ;)

Two questions: What are those ragged paperweights on top and when you gonna paint'em Blue' ? :D

Nightbrace
02-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Can I assume that we are excluding all the professional speakers and "monitors", which are intended for a specific use?

If so, here's a go at the best I've auditioned thus far, if only I had the money to buy them :). Although I heard these speakers with different gear and at different locations, so it may be a little off, but thats why we're here to make fun of what everyone else thinks, because who can really say whats the "BEST", these are the BEST of what I've heard. In fact, I am still using L36's as college has stolen from me the funds needed to acquire these sought after systems, but then again, thats why I'm going to college, so that one day I can afford to buy them. For now, I've been forced to find some diamonds in the rough :), anyone who cares to know what I've come across, some JBL some not, please PM me. I dare not mention these sleeper systems here cause they won't be sleepers anymore :p. Enough rambling :blah: .

IMHO, of all the JBL's I have heard, I think the majority will agree that THE BEST OF THE BEST, with the price point not being an issue, goes to the 250Ti. However, I recently listened to a set of XPL160's which were really impressive, and definitely better in the midrange, but the upper bass leading up to them was very disappointing :( / The XPL140 supplemented with a subwoofer would be nearly on the same plane as the 250Ti, if not even a bit better, or so I have read. Not sure if I could include the PT800 in with this category as they are really intended for professional use, but where's the fun it that? They are definitely better. For that matter what about the LSR6332 and LSR6328's? Are these considered home speakers? They are rather good. If you are going purely on collectibility, sound, looks, everything, the Century Gold speakers have a warm place in ALL our hearts, if I had a set I doubt I'd even use them, they are World Class in terms of build quality, design, and just flat out performance. They are truly works of Art .

Ken Pachkowsky
02-14-2006, 01:02 PM
I have been fortunate enough to own several of the large format 43x series but have no experience with any of the newer models since the early 80's.

In the 43 series, the 4345 stands out as my favorite.

Ken

hapy._.face
02-14-2006, 02:33 PM
OOOOH, NICE Sleepers!!!
The horns are where they should have been to start with, newbie ;)

Two questions: What are those ragged paperweights on top and when you gonna paint'em Blue' ? :D

I said "HORNS" (2397). Like in his avatar... I know he ain't exactly running kazoos with lenses behind those baffles either...;)

Steve Gonzales
02-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I said "HORNS" (2397). Like in his avatar... I know he ain't exactly running kazoos with lenses behind those baffles either...;)

the 2397's sit on top and the 2312/2420's- McCauleyxxx/LE85's are directly behind the L94's.

hapy._.face
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah! NICE, STEVE!!!