PDA

View Full Version : 4430/B40 vs 4435

leif
02-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Hi folks,

there are a nice pair of 4435 for sale not far from where I live. Just like 3 hours drive away.
I have a pair of 4430 and a B460. Would you recommend me to buy the 4435? Or to keep what I have?

Perhaps a home theater with the 4435 AND the 4430? How cool would that be!
But that is of course not an option. Not enough space or money...

sa660
02-08-2006, 04:58 AM
If the price is right and you have money and space. Buy buy buy
You will be very pleased.

The 4435 bass will be very very low, fast and accurate, and you already know the mid/high?

regards,

leif
02-08-2006, 05:29 AM
I see there were an error in the headline.
I ment of course 4430/B460 (not B40) vs 4435

4313B
02-08-2006, 05:38 AM

caladois
02-08-2006, 06:07 AM
I must recommend you the 4435 way as an non-objective choice !!!
Then after, you won't need any more B460 i am going to buy.... hihihihih

Humour from France
Best regards Stephane.

leif
02-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Well, I have put my pair of 4430 for sale. Without the money from that sale, I will not be able to buy the 4435. So I am a little in a hurry to get them sold.

My wife is not very exited about this at all. She think the 4430 is big enough...
Wish me luck!

Leif

Guido
02-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Well, I have put my pair of 4430 for sale. Without the money from that sale, I will not be able to buy the 4435. So I am a little in a hurry to get them sold.

My wife is not very exited about this at all. She think the 4430 is big enough...
Wish me luck!

Leif

:thmbsup: BEST Luck!

Nightbrace
02-09-2006, 04:59 AM
Geez Leif, why in such a hurry?? The 4430's are spectacular, do you need to upgrade to the 4435's that badly? I don't think the sound will be that much different to warrant driving there to get them, selling yours etc. They are the same speaker really, just built differently for different applications. PM me if you are really selling the 4430's.

JBLnsince1959
02-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Well.......My wife is not very exited about this at all. Leif

They never are...... :D

leif
02-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Sure, the 4430 are spectacular. No doubt about that. And I said to a friend of mine just some days ago, that I would NEVER trade them in.
But that was before I saw an ad where a nice pair of 4435 are for sale here for 7.000 kroner = about 1.000 US dollars.... So I guess you can understand why I am eager to buy. I guess I can get more than that for my 4430, plus that I can sell the amp that drive the sub, and I could actually also sell my sub. And sit back with much money and a even better pair of speakers.
But there is only one but... My wife are NOT happy for this. Do you guys think she would calm down with some flowers, a nice bottle of sparkling wine, a small (cheap) diamond ring and some of this crap they like to hear "oh darling, you mean so much to me, you make me so happy, you are the only one, my life would be a mess without you" and that kind of crap..... hehehe. What do you guys think?

4313B
02-09-2006, 06:10 AM
No, the sheer size of the 4435's can't be shrunk with diamond rings or wine or whispering sweet nothings. She's simply going to have to whip out her battery of decorating skills and create an illusion that they are smaller than they actually are.

Flowers might work. Put a whole bunch of them on top. Change out the grille cloth for something she will like. Maybe something that matches the drapes or carpet or wall color, I don't know. :dont-know

Here... Tell her it's the 4435's or these. Give her a choice so she feels like part of the process.

leif
02-09-2006, 06:42 AM

Here... Tell her it's the 4435's or these. Give her a choice so she feels like part of the process.

:applaud: Comment of the week!

Titanium Dome
02-09-2006, 08:08 AM

Wish me luck!

Leif

The 4430s are really medium size speakers, and your dream has been to finally own some full-size speakers. :rotfl:

NO, don't tell her that! :no:

Tell her you never thought you'd have the chance to own speakers like the 4435s and how much you appreciate the fact that she's not saying "Definitely not!" Tell her that you hope to get a good enough deal that there might be money left over after the transaction, and that as a sign of your appreciation you'd like to take her to a nice vacation spot for a weekend. Then suggest a really nice place (that you can afford), and let her react to it.

If she says "Yes," you're on your way.

If she reacts with a different choice, then says "Yes" you're on your way, because she told you what she wants.

(If she refuses to go, you're screwed, BTW.)

In either case, make her the focus of the entire weekend. Tell her once (only once) during the weekend that you're thankful she's so understanding. Too many references to the JBLs will mess things up. Wine her, dine her, love her, pamper her, and take lots of pictures (not of the love making, though).

When you get back, determine which pictures she likes the most, then secretly get them enlarged, put them in nice frames that complement the 4435s, and place them on top. Yes, place them on top. (Put a cloth down first to dampen vibration and to protect the surface.)

Without saying any words about it, let her discover the pictures herself. If she brings it up (she will :yes: ), let her say what's on her mind and in her heart, keep your mouth shut, and hug her. From then on, everytime she fondly remembers the weekend and looks at the pictures, the bond between JBL 4435s and happiness will become stronger in her emotional matrix.

edgewound
02-09-2006, 08:20 AM
The 4430s are really medium size speakers, and your dream has been to finally own some full-size speakers. :rotfl:

Tell her you never thought you'd have the chance to own speakers like the 4435s and how much you appreciate the fact that she's not saying "Definitely not!" Tell her that you hope to get a good enough deal that there might be money left over after the transaction, and that as a sign of your appreciation you'd like to take her to a nice vacation spot for a weekend. Then suggest a really nice place (that you can afford), and let her react to it.

If she reacts with a different choice, then says "Yes" you're on your way, because she told you what she wants.

In either case, make her the focus of the entire weekend. Tell her once (only once) during the weekend that you're thankful she's so understanding. Too many references to the JBLs will mess things up. Wine her, dine her, love her, pamper her, and take lots of pictures (not of the love making, though).

When you get back, determine which pictures she likes the most, then secretly get them enlarged, put them in nice frames that complement the 4435s, and place them on top. Yes, place them on top. (Put a cloth down first to dampen vibration and to protect the surface.)

Without saying any words about it, let her discover the pictures herself. If she brings it up (she will :yes: ), let her say what's on her mind and in her heart, keep your mouth shut, and hug her. From then on, everytime she fondly remembers the weekend and looks at the pictures, the bond between JBL 4435s and happiness will become stronger in her emotional matrix.

Geez Dome....I don't know if you sound more like Dr. Phil or John Grey.
:D

Titanium Dome
02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Geez Dome....I don't know if you sound more like Dr. Phil or John Grey.
:D

Okay, I know who Doctor Phil is, but I have to look up John Grey.

He's either

1) A musical tool maker: http://www.banjolin.co.uk/banjolin/grey.htm

2) A political tool creator: http://www.geocities.com/~johngray/index.html#toc (scroll down and read the list)

3) Or just a tool: http://www.soulmateoracle.com/coaching.html

So, are you saying I sound like a banjo, or a big bag of exhaling political gas, or a poof who's fronting a trophy wife? :p

JuniorJBL
02-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I see we have done some research :D

edgewound
02-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Okay, I know who Doctor Phil is, but I have to look up John Grey.

He's either

1) A musical tool maker: http://www.banjolin.co.uk/banjolin/grey.htm

2) A political tool creator: http://www.geocities.com/~johngray/index.html#toc (scroll down and read the list)

3) Or just a tool: http://www.soulmateoracle.com/coaching.html

So, are you saying I sound like a banjo, or a big bag of exhaling political gas, or a poof who's fronting a trophy wife? :p

My apologies, Dome. I chose the wrong spelling....it's John Gray. Have at it, Dr.:D

Yet another off topic meandering:o: :p

Titanium Dome
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
I see we have done some research :D

I only had one subject for my test group, and she went back to MI before I tallied the results of my research and learned the answer. D'oh! :homer:

At least the results are very useful with my current "test group."

John
02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Well I know the 4435's would have a better bottom end than the 4430's , but who know's if there would be a difference since you were using the B460 with your 4430's.:hmm:

One thing which might be a problem is the added width of the 4435's. If you are going to angle them in a bit from the walls of the room you may find yourself taking up a lot more floor space??? Might have the wife annoyed? :banghead:

Or are these going to be used in your part of the house:applaud:

4313B
02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Well I know the 4435's would have a better bottom end than the 4430's , but who know's if there would be a difference since you were using the B460 with your 4430's.:hmm: Oooo! Me! I know! :wave:

4435's.

John
02-09-2006, 02:20 PM
:hmm: What are you saying:homer:

norealtalent
02-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Oooo! Me! I know! :wave:

4435's.

Put your hand down and wait your turn Giskard! We'll give you a question worthy of your answer. Hmmm...:hmm: Give me a minute to confer with my partners in crime...

hapy._.face
02-09-2006, 02:29 PM

Impressive! Obviously, you've done this before....
I just now got wifey to accept some average sized JBLs in the main LR. When I'm ready to upgrade to some bigger dogs- I'll have this pasted in a word document for future reference. ;)
Of course, failure is never an option. I'll just convert the basement (aka the doghouse) into my private oasis!

hapy._.face
02-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Put your hand down and wait your turn Giskard! We'll give you a question worthy of your answer. Hmmm...:hmm: Give me a minute to confer with my partners in crime...

...keep thinkin' . few questions come to mind.

yggdrasil
02-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Leif I have been meaning to chime in earlier, but....

Anyway: Don't worry about the 4430's, get the 4435's. Good luck with the wife, it will solve itself one way or the other.

John
02-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Leif Good luck with the wife, it will solve itself one way or the other.

Hopefully not with a Lawyer!!!

Aussie Pete
02-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Well done Dome, sounds like you have had a lot of experience sweet talking the wife, you must have a great collection of JBL stuff by now ……. After having a pair of 4430’s for years I would agree that they are only “medium size” ……….. I recently upgraded from 4430’s to 4435’s and I am grateful that I managed to get away with it, I started of trying to convince the wife that the 4435’s were the ultimate and I was only half way there with my 4430’s and that the 4435’s were so scarce that in years to come they would be worth a fortune, I blabbered on how I would sell my 4430’s to help fund the 4435’s and that I had to act quick to get them ….. I had the 4430’s since around 1987 but I would have gone for 4435’s at the time if I had the money but with a young family and priorities … you know the story!! ……. Well I don’t know if she just felt sorry for me with my pathetic blabbering’s of justification but I won out …. Well in fact I had a double win because I still managed to hang on to the 4430’s as well, promising that I would pass them on to my son when he moves out of home ……..I just can't bring myself to selling them .... they are part of the family you know ........anyway you know the ironic thing is that she admitted that the 4435’s fit better as they “fill” the area better than the 4430’s did ……. Go figure !!!!! (I think she harbours a secret liking of the 4435’s but just won’t admit it) ….. happy listening !!!!

Zilch
02-09-2006, 11:34 PM
anyway you know the ironic thing is that she admitted that the 4435’s fit better as they “fill” the area better than the 4430’s did

"Fills the space."

Now, THERE's a workable angle.

[Taking notes here.... :p ]

leif
02-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I got the perfect idea of how to get them without protests from my wife.
I must not tell her that I buy them. I will buy them for her! Valentines gift. Valentines day is next week, right? My wife sing in a small band in her church. And they burned a cd some weeks ago from a practice.
I can surprise her, have a scarf around her face to cover her eyes, when the valentines gift is to be given:
"honey, I bought you these exellent speakers, because your voice deserve the very very best equipemt there is to get. Together we can enjoy the good music you make". And then I can take the scarf off and let her see the beauties!
Good idea, right?
Anyone in Norway wants a nice pair of 4430?

Leif

Titanium Dome
02-10-2006, 03:55 PM
I got the perfect idea of how to get them without protests from my wife.
I must not tell her that I buy them. I will buy them for her! Valentines gift. Valentines day is next week, right? My wife sing in a small band in her church. And they burned a cd some weeks ago from a practice.
I can surprise her, have a scarf around her face to cover her eyes, when the valentines gift is to be given:
"honey, I bought you these exellent speakers, because your voice deserve the very very best equipemt there is to get. Together we can enjoy the good music you make". And then I can take the scarf off and let her see the beauties!
Good idea, right?
Anyone in Norway wants a nice pair of 4430?

Leif

There's a TV commercial here in the US where a guy convinces himself he's doing something his wife will like for Valentine's Day, but he's really not thinking it through to its logical conclusion because it's what he wants to do.

Anyway, she looks at him as though he was born without a brain, and she asks, "What were you thinking?" :rotfl:

It's pretty darn funny as long as it's not happening to you.

leif
02-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi folks,

There are probably rules about cursing on this forum page. And I really feel like breaking those rules right now.
I have managed to get the money, I had managed to convince my wife. And called the seller to make an agreement. But they had already gone...
Actually he had them home still, but had recived money into his account from a buyer somewhere else....
7.000 kroner = 1.000 usd for a nice pair of 4435. That is a bargain, the purchase of the decade! I am SO upset I missed them out.

Leif

speakerdave
02-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Argh! This needs to be a lesson for all of us. Prepare the ground! Prepare the ground!

JBLnsince1959
02-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi folks,

There are probably rules about cursing on this forum page. And I really feel like breaking those rules right now.
I have managed to get the money, I had managed to convince my wife. And called the seller to make an agreement. But they had already gone...
Actually he had them home still, but had recived money into his account from a buyer somewhere else....
7.000 kroner = 1.000 usd for a nice pair of 4435. That is a bargain, the purchase of the decade! I am SO upset I missed them out.

Leif

Jesus F**KING CH***T......HOLY SH*T Batman.....G** D**N... :banghead: :banghead: :biting:

baldrick
02-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi folks,

Leif

You poor thing :p

I learned my leasson from an earlier buy where I didn't transfer the money in advanced and because of that I missed the buy. But this time it was my luck and I'm the new owner of the 4435 Leif is talking about :applaud:

The speaker will be shipped from the seller tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully I will have them by this weekend (or early next week)

I was really looking for a pair of 250TI but couldn't find any, so when I found the 4435 I just got to buy them instead. I've never listen to the 4435 so I hope I will not be dissapointed :blink:

remusr
02-15-2006, 01:26 AM
You Norwegians have big cojones. Or a great sense of humor. Maybe it's something about 4435's - they don't change hands too predictably.

baldrick
02-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This set of 4435 is the very first I've ever seen for sale in Norway so of course I had to buy it for that price :) The condition is said to be very good, and all woofers are profesional refoamd (or whatever it's called).

The speakers was originally bought new in the mid 80s by a Norwegian sound studio and the person who sold them now have had them since the late 90s.

Old JBL Pros are not very popular "over here" and I guess the market is very small. But still, the price I paid is of course very low :) I've also the opportunity of buying 2 pairs of 4628B for 400$ and that is also very cheap if you comapre prices with the US.

Old JBL homespeakers are more popular than the Pros and the prices are therefore also higher. As comparison a pair of 250TI will normally be sold for 2000$-3000$ (depends on which model and state...) What is the normal price for 250TIs in the US?

Guido
02-15-2006, 04:42 AM
This is a nightmare :banghead:

Did you think about building them yourself? I currently do so. If you need help.

leif
02-15-2006, 07:48 AM
If you look for a pair of Ti250, its just to take a look at www.dba.dk (http://www.dba.dk) or www.hifi4all.dk (http://www.hifi4all.dk) There are more or less always several pairs of those goodies, and also a lot of other stuff, on those two pages. Shipping from Denmark is not free of course, but not that expensive either.

I picked up my pair of 4430 in Copenhagen, and took them home as checked in baggage on the aircraft. :applaud:

leif
02-15-2006, 08:47 AM
You Norwegians have big cojones. Or a great sense of humor. Maybe it's something about 4435's - they don't change hands too predictably.

I did not understand this one (language problems). Please explain...:)

remusr
02-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Leif, some folk wouldn't have joined a thread started by someone chasing a purchase to say they were the ones that took the purchase away. Big cojones, balls. You guys are funny.

baldrick
02-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Now it's my turn to don't understand what you mean :blink: Do you mean it was wrong of me by posting this?? I had talked to Leif before I posted anything here, and I just thougt it was funny to follow the thread up whith the new turn... I had NO idea Leif also wanted to buy these speaker before I got an mail from him AFTER I already had bought them.

So again I really don't understand what you mean by your postings...

baldrick
02-16-2006, 12:03 AM

Did you think about building them yourself? I currently do so. If you need help.

There are two main reasons why I love the 250TIs. First reason is of course the sound... the other one is how they look :) If I were to build my own I think I maybe could match the sound, but no way I could copy the look. So I don't think make my own would satisfy my need :) I already have a hybrid speaker containing the encosure of a Cerwin Vega 1215MK2 with 120TIs in the top and a JBL 1200 GTI subwoofer fire downwards. They sound absolutely great, but I still want the look of the 250 ;)

Anyway, I've created a followup of thread 4435 vs 250TI here (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93183#post93183)

JuniorJBL
02-16-2006, 08:34 AM

Guido

Are you saying that you build 4435's or 250's?
If you are building 250's how are you making the tweeter housing/mount?

leif
02-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Some folk wouldn't have joined a thread started by someone chasing a purchase to say they were the ones that took the purchase away. Big cojones, balls. You guys are funny.

It was in fact very upsetting that I did not get that pair of 4435. I would have loved to buy them, but can blame myself for taking too long time to raise money, and not the least to hear a quiet peep of "yes ok then..." from my wife.
So I can blame myself.
When that is said, I am just happy that the pair went to a lansing heritage guy. No problem about that.
And I took a little revenge on Balderick today. He wanted to buy two pairs of JBL cabaret series 4628B, guess where they are now :cheers:

Titanium Dome
02-16-2006, 09:29 AM
It was in fact very upsetting that I did not get that pair of 4435. I would have loved to buy them, but can blame myself for taking too long time to raise money, and not the least to hear a quiet peep of "yes ok then..." from my wife.
So I can blame myself.
When that is said, I am just happy that the pair went to a lansing heritage guy. No problem about that.
And I took a little revenge on Balderick today. He wanted to buy two pairs of JBL cabaret series 4628B, guess where they are now :cheers:

Well played!

baldrick
02-16-2006, 10:13 AM
So I can blame myself.

Hehe, good for you Leif :applaud: I would love to have them aswell, but couldn't afford to just buy them when I don't really have use for them at the moment. Where they in just as good condition as the seller said? You paid 4000NOK for them or did you get them cheaper? Anyway a GREAT price for those 4628 :)

If I don't like the 4435 when I get them, maybe we'll end up with a big trade :bouncy:

leif
02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
I tried to get them for 3.500 kroner, but he had many others that were interested, and I belived him on that. I think 4000 kroner (about 550 USD) for 4 nice 4628B must be a good price. Heck, people pay a lot only for a pair of E145 alone.

I have no idea what I will use them for. Time will show...
I already have a pair of 4430, and to have them all 6 in the livingroom would bee too much. But hey, I can for sure invite friends for a good movie now if I get a decoder. One 4628 as center, one pair as fronts, and the 4430 as side monitors. + the B460. That should rock the neighbourhood!

remusr
02-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Just where are you Norwegians finding these speakers and at such low prices? Ballsy and resourceful too! Let me in on it!

John
02-26-2006, 08:09 AM
You poor thing :p

I learned my leasson from an earlier buy where I didn't transfer the money in advanced and because of that I missed the buy. But this time it was my luck and I'm the new owner of the 4435 Leif is talking about :applaud:

The speaker will be shipped from the seller tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully I will have them by this weekend (or early next week)

I was really looking for a pair of 250TI but couldn't find any, so when I found the 4435 I just got to buy them instead. I've never listen to the 4435 so I hope I will not be dissapointed :blink:

Just wondering do you guys see pictures first or just wire cash and get them shipped and hope for the best???

leif
02-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I sometimes see pictures, and sometimes not.
Sometimes you just have to take a chance.
Most times it goes well.

Leif

baldrick
02-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Just wondering do you guys see pictures first or just wire cash and get them shipped and hope for the best???

I got pictures of the 4435 and ofcourse also talked to the owner, I also got several mails from him.. why do you ask?