PDA

View Full Version : Refoaming of 118H

zetex17
02-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi, everybody,

I have a pair of L56 speakers. In excellent condition, look just like new. A week ago the woofer's foam surrounds gave up after about 24 years of everyday use. Both at the same time. As I live in Europe, sending of woofers to an US company for repair would be unacceptably expensive, so I decided to make the refoaming by myself. I don't expect support from JBL for such an old product. I visited a lot of web sites of companies selling "refoaming" kits, but could not find anything suitable for my 118H drivers. The problem is, that their dimensions are a little bit strange (in my opinion), or at least not typical for 10" woofers. The cone diameter (the inner diameter of the roll) is exactly 200mm (7 7/8"). The closest match I could find is 197mm (7 3/4") from Woofer Repair and is of flat type, as long as my drivers need angled (sloped) surrounds, to be glued to the bottom side of cones. I won't trim the cones, of course.

Please, give me some advice, or correct me, if I'm wrong. Thanks.

GordonW
02-07-2006, 11:21 AM
If no other option avails itself, it is possible to very slightly stretch a foam surround, to fit over a cone in such a case. Since it's only a 3mm difference, it should work well enough... the stretch will not be enough to cause deformation of the surround, from an operational standpoint.

Also, the flat-inner-edge surrounds can sometimes be an advantage when gluing the surround to the back of the cone. Believe it or not, once stretched over the edge of the cone and mounted into place, those flat inner edges will usually fit tightly against the back of the cone, and glue into place easily. I've done this exact procedure before, and actually now prefer starting with the flat-inner-edge surrounds, with 118H drivers...

Regards,
Gordon.

zetex17
02-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Thanks a lot, Gordon!
You give me confidence to try...

Regards,
Velislav

dk2806
08-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi everyone!

Can anyone suggest a refoam kit for the L56 (118H)? After 22 years of faithful service the surrounds are shot. Can't find a kit for this specific speaker. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks all.