PDA

View Full Version : LE5-5 vs. LE5-6

Nightbrace
02-07-2006, 12:29 AM
what audible difference is there between these two drivers?

4313B
02-07-2006, 05:07 AM
1.) None. JBL makes the same driver in different shapes, sizes and colors with different model numbers merely to confuse the end user. They are all really just one driver that can be used in any application.

2.) Oooo! Pop Quiz! I love it! :applaud:

3.) How about we designate you as the "taste tester". You listen to both and then you tell us what the difference is. ;)

4.) Hmm :hmm: They look the same to me on the RTA display so they must be interchangable.

4313B
02-07-2006, 05:18 AM
Seriously, check this out for physical characteristics -

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=5706

Then get yourself a pair of each and check them out. I've been on this forum five years now and I can say with all certainty that virtually no one here can answer your question for you. It's very possible that you might not be able to hear any difference at all.

Nightbrace
02-07-2006, 05:31 AM
Hmm, well both taste very good, both are better than the LE5-2.

But, I did notice a very subtle difference between the LE5-6 and the LE5-9 so it only stands to beleive that the LE5-5 would be different too given the information on the LE5 mids in the technical section. I have an opportunity to get a set of L65 Jubals and I wanted to know if there was a specific reason why JBL chose these mids, guess they just had to put a number after the 5 :)/

I'm by no means a JBL expert, at least not yet :), but there was a difference. At the highest freqency levels up until the crossover point between the mids and tweeters, the LE5-6's were more detailed and blended a little better with the LE25-4's tweeters/ There was a bit of a drop at the top with the LE5-9's. Visually the cones are a bit different, the LE5-9's being inverted, but not sure how that would matter too much, maybe the LE5-6's are just a tiny bit more extended in the higher frequencies.

4313B
02-07-2006, 05:47 AM
I see your point. Note that there are two versions of the LE5-9. I'm not real sure why JBL didn't designate them LE5-9 and LE5-9a. :p
Early versions had the inverted paper dust cap while later versions have the painted aluminum dust dome.

Yeah, maybe. One would have to measure them. The graphs in the link can't be directly compared with each other.

Nightbrace
02-07-2006, 06:01 AM
LOL, why not desiginate each and every driver with a model #, good luck with all the L100's out there :)?

I was just surprised to actually hear the LE5-6's rising up while the LE5-9's just sat there as they were used in the more expensive speakers.