PDA

View Full Version : Bass Horns

lpd
02-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I picked up a pair of mid-bass horns using 12" drivers. They had foam surround Philips drivers in them that I replace with Eminence cloth surround drivers. I am wondering if any JBL 12" drivers would work in cabinets.

Here are the cabinet specs:
Internal measurements are 16" deep 24" high and 11" deep
Horn flare is 17.5" wide and 18" high and 11" deep
Inside measurement of horn flare is 12" high and 6" wide
The port on the top is 8" wide 2.5" high and 11.5" deep (it port from either side of the horn inside the cab.

I included a pic of one of the cabs for a visual of the measurements.
http://members.shaw.ca/mbeka/Horn2.jpg

Steve Schell
02-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Your enclosures look to be combination short front horn / bass reflex designs, similar in a general way to Altec Lansing 825 or 816. Although they won't offer all the benefits of a front loaded horn, they should sound pretty good with a suitable driver. In general, you want a woofer with a light moving mass and a very strong motor. JBL D-131 would work well, D-120 and D-123 would also be worth trying.

lpd
02-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Steve,
Thanks for the reply. Any ideas on a horn for the midrange ie: LE175, 2420 ect.? Also where should I set the crossover point on the bass horn, I was thinking 100hz, does this seem reasonable, with a LE175 and 2405 on top?

scott fitlin
02-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Steve,
Thanks for the reply. Any ideas on a horn for the midrange ie: LE175, 2420 ect.? Also where should I set the crossover point on the bass horn, I was thinking 100hz, does this seem reasonable, with a LE175 and 2405 on top?I would think 800Hz a more suitable xover point for that basshorn.

lpd
02-07-2006, 06:35 PM
I would think 800Hz a more suitable xover point for that basshorn.

How low do you suppose these horns will go? They seem quite low to me, but it may be the corner and floor thats creating the lower frequency.

scott fitlin
02-07-2006, 06:45 PM
How low do you suppose these horns will go? They seem quite low to me, but it may be the corner and floor thats creating the lower frequency.Those horns probably get you down to 50 or 40hz, it might sound lower, but they dont really go that low. However, bass horns can sound great, even though they dont go really low.

Corner loading will give you a bump in the response, and if you like this, thats fine. I have corner loaded stacks, with both front loaded horns, and scoops for subs, and they rock, corner loaded!

The cabinet you have is made to go up to 800hz, and cross over into the horn,

lpd
02-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering for a midrange horn what would blend nicer a 2420 or a LE175? I have LE175's but I could trade for the 2420's if I want to. They do bump a little loaded in a corner, but I am limited on room and I hve them two feet from the side walls and about a foot from the back wall. They sit ontop of four inch granite slabs:barf:Overkill but hey looks great. I have Eminence drivers in them right now and it doesn't sound too bad, but I'm partial to JBL drivers and would like to try either the recommended 131 or 123.

peter

John
02-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Those things look to be built like a Mack Truck.= Solid:applaud:

lpd
02-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Those things look to be built like a Mack Truck.= Solid:applaud:

Can you believe I got them for free....sure they aren't the prettiest horns out there, but I have a very forgiving wife who puts up with my audio hobby, but I'm off to a great start:D

scott fitlin
02-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering for a midrange horn what would blend nicer a 2420 or a LE175? I have LE175's but I could trade for the 2420's if I want to. They do bump a little loaded in a corner, but I am limited on room and I hve them two feet from the side walls and about a foot from the back wall. They sit ontop of four inch granite slabs:barf:Overkill but hey looks great. I have Eminence drivers in them right now and it doesn't sound too bad, but I'm partial to JBL drivers and would like to try either the recommended 131 or 123.

peterI have never used the JBL horn loaded bass cabs in my place, we have always had Altec, everything else is JBL, though! But Ive heard JBL bass horns, with one of the right JBL woofers, youll get JBL sound. Lots of transient snap in the midbass thru midrange! And JBL quality bass.

The Eminence is definitely better than the Phillips foam edge woofers you had in them, but, JBL will be even better. I guess your gonna have to check eBay for these JBL,s, unless you know of someone who has the models you seek, and is willing to sell them.

I think, once you have the right JBL woofer, the horn blending will fall into place! Truhtfully, I really dont know which ( LE175 or 2420 ) is the better choice for you. I use JBL 2441 drivers with 2in exits, and I love them! I dont really know the difference between the 2420 and LE175 to give you an educated answer on this.

I know someone here does, though!

:)

lpd
02-07-2006, 08:41 PM
P.S I'm also thinking of incorporating a 10 inch 2123 for midbass, or is this really necessary as the bass horn covers most midbass.

scott fitlin
02-07-2006, 09:24 PM
P.S I'm also thinking of incorporating a 10 inch 2123 for midbass, or is this really necessary as the bass horn covers most midbass.The basshorn covers into the midrange, I dont think you need a 10in low mid, you can do it if you want! But something like a JBL D-131 will give you nice sounding bottom, and go up to the transition point into the horn pretty well.

What I would do, if I were doing what you are, is get the best sounding JBL 12 for that cabinet, and get a good sub or two, and tweeters!

lpd
02-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Scott how do you think a 2461 with a slot tweeter would sound. I would mount the 2461 on a wide flared horn.

duaneage
02-08-2006, 07:22 PM
The E140 would be worth a try if it fits. I read an article from Bruce Edgar in SB a few years ago that used the E140. Eminence made a similar driver that the article stated would work as well, seeing how the E140 is now a "legacy" item worthy of 2000.00 eBay prices or something to that effect

BTW I love how the tv is dwarfed by the speaker. Ultimate Home Theater:dancin:

scott fitlin
02-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Scott how do you think a 2461 with a slot tweeter would sound. I would mount the 2461 on a wide flared horn.The 2461 uses a phenolic diaphragm, but will work for you, it wont give you the same upper end response as the 2440/41 with aluminum phragm, but some really like the way the phenolic sounds thru the midrange. If you have it, and you like it, use it, and yes, the 2405 to take you all the way up, that will work.

As far as whats the best horn for the 2461, I am not sure, but, If jbl used the driver on a horn you would like to use, I assume that would be a good match!

lpd
02-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Well I have both LE175's and 2461's so I could try both and see what sounds better to me. Both are mounted on conical horns although I may try a wider horn for a nicer dispersion.

scott fitlin
02-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Well I have both LE175's and 2461's so I could try both and see what sounds better to me. Both are mounted on conical horns although I may try a wider horn for a nicer dispersion.There you go.

Youll know what you like best when you hear it.

:D