PDA

View Full Version : TL260 It looks like JBL to me.......

jbljfan
02-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Quote from UHF magazine: (http://www.uhfmag.com/Vegas2006/day3.html) Harman Kardon has just turned 60 by the way, and to celebrate it will launch a JBL loudspeaker that, well, doesn’t look like a JBL loudspeaker. It’s called the TL260 (some focus group must have come up with that) and it will be a limited edition.

Titanium Dome
02-04-2006, 11:59 PM
The shape is familiar (L250, 250Ti, XPL250), as are the drivers (L8400 12"(?)PolyPlas driver; Studio L Series 8" and 4" PolyPlas drivers; 1" Ti dome w/ EOS Waveguie; 3/4" Mylar in Bi-Radial horn).

Looks like it's time to put the Performance Series networks, 8" and 4" Ti inverted domes, and 1" Ti dome w/ EOS Waveguie into those L250 cabinets along with the resident LE14H-1 and build those PT1400s. We'll compare that to the PolyPlas-flavored TL260, eh?

Let the games begin. :bouncy:

Zilch
02-05-2006, 02:47 AM
"Doesn't look like a JBL loudspeaker?"

Only to the ignorant.

I doubt there's any member of this forum who wouldn't recognize it immediately as JBL.... ;)

filigran
02-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Quote from UHF magazine: (http://www.uhfmag.com/Vegas2006/day3.html) Harman Kardon has just turned 60 by the way, and to celebrate it will launch a JBL loudspeaker that, well, doesn’t look like a JBL loudspeaker. It’s called the TL260 (some focus group must have come up with that) and it will be a limited edition.

Yes, a JBL technician told me in Germany that there will be a 260 loudspeaker coming up soon and will be out for selling in germany for 1999EUR. But he speaks from a 12" woofer.

Maron Horonzakz
02-06-2006, 06:46 AM
They look cheep and takky to me. Like some of my girl friends. Some thing i wouldnt bring home for the family to see.;)

JBLnsince1959
02-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Looks like an upgraded Ti5000..The Ti5000 ( there were even smaller ti3000's and ti1000's) looks like mini 250's with 12" woofers and were sold mostly in Europe ( maybe the far east also?). around 1995.. Very nice speakers from what I hear. I don't think the ti5000 was sold in the US.

You can see them from time to time on German Ebay..I always wanted a pair to play with and the revieews are very good on the Ti5000

Anyway back to the TL260 - looks like an upgraded Ti5000 ( with super tweeter ) mostly likely to be sold in Europe and other places. Usually we don't get that kind of stuff here.

I would like to hear it. A tour of JBL would be so fine....

JBLnsince1959
02-06-2006, 07:23 AM
I really wish they would sell those in the US. One thing I was not happy with the new Studio L series was the lack of a speaker with a 12" woofer - dual 8's just don't cut it with me BUT as far as style I guess - "thin is in"
now days.

When I was playing around at Best Buy some 5 or 6 years ago listening the the studio series, the S312 sound more real to me than the smaller dual woofer speakers.

The Tl260 really looks like an upgraded Ti5000 with the same speakers as the Studio L ( except woofer of course)

would like to hear it.

JBLnsince1959
02-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Looks like it's time to put the Performance Series networks, 8" and 4" Ti inverted domes, and 1" Ti dome w/ EOS Waveguie into those L250 cabinets along with the resident LE14H-1 and build those PT1400s. We'll compare that to the PolyPlas-flavored TL260, eh?

10-4....I think it would really sound better( better than the regular PS)...I've been playing around with the PS speakers and creating a "Solid" baffle for it and the sound is SO much better. (when I get time I've got some pictures to share with what I'm doing). Everyone who has heard it all say the same thing...

Putting the ti domes in a 250 would be wonderful I'm sure....Why hasn't GT done this?

Titanium Dome
02-06-2006, 08:35 AM
10-4....I think it would really sound better( better than the regular PS)...I've been playing around with the PS speakers and creating a "Solid" baffle for it and the sound is SO much better. (when I get time I've got some pictures to share with what I'm doing). Everyone who has heard it all say the same thing...

Putting the ti domes in a 250 would be wonderful I'm sure....Why hasn't GT done this?

Interesting. Would love to see the pics.

As to your question, who's to say he hasn't? :spin:

JBLnsince1959
02-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Interesting. Would love to see the pics.

As to your question, who's to say he hasn't? :spin:

If my small brain has thought of it I'm sure he has...Not sure if he's built a prototype tho.

the difference ( even with the 1/2-ass way I did this )with the PS is stunning, yet subtle.. Makes me wonder what it would sound like if it was done correctly (250 style boxes)

Titanium Dome
02-07-2006, 12:44 AM
But if I had all the available drivers, enclosures, crossovers, schematics, spare parts, and the actual knowledge to modify stock parts and make them better, I'd run all the software models, try all the likely combinations first, take measurements, record my data, then say, "OH, :wtf:, I'm gonna put some of these other drivers and crossovers in there just to see what happens.

And I'd mock up just about anything and everything to be sure it "Won't work." But of course, I'd probably get my butt fired for not staying on task and wouldn't become chief anything long enough to make my mark in the world of speaker design and engineering.

Like I said, I'm only guessing. :dont-know

JBLnsince1959
02-07-2006, 06:13 AM
And I'd mock up just about anything and everything to be sure it "Won't work." But of course, I'd probably get my butt fired for not staying on task and wouldn't become chief anything long enough to make my mark in the world of speaker design and engineering.

Like I said, I'm only guessing. :dont-know

Yes, it's different from being JUST an engineer to being Chief of a dept of engineers, over seeing many projects, development of transducers, researching new materials, new designs, what sells in what part of the world, latest trends.. working with other people in the company ( and around the world) and it goes on and on...who knows how much time he has for "personal interest" or if he even has the same passion as he did 30 years ago when designing the 250,.

I don't want to project anything here, but I know for me, having been doing the same thing for many years ( and it is very creative work), I don't have the same passion and drive as I use to when I was younger. I use to stay up to the wee hours of the night working on something and now, well not as often.

Anyway, back on track, I'll really like to hear those TL260 AND I know The performance series would sound much better in another box, just makes sense. The basic design of the performance series is for a modular HT setup and NOT audiophile ( I think we've been here before in other threads) ....Ok I've got to get to work and leave this behind for a while....

baldrick
04-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I just found an article about this new Limited Edition speaker, it's supposed to be the new version of 250TI:

http://www.hifi4all.dk/content/articlefiles/1205-jbl.jpg

Unfortunately the article is Danish, but I guess some of you understands it ;)

http://www.hifi4all.dk/content/templates/nyheder.asp?articleid=1205&zoneid=1

Mr. Widget
04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Well I must say it doesn't float my boat... but I guess someone must like it... maybe it sounds good? One can hope.

Widget

trueview
04-05-2006, 02:22 PM
just looks like too much plastic on the front of those things:(

Mr. Widget
04-05-2006, 02:23 PM
just looks like too much plastic on the front of those things:(I'd suggest that it is just too much.

Widget

Titanium Dome
04-05-2006, 04:49 PM
I'd like to get my sweaty hands on that enclosure, though. They could leave the top driver in it, and keep the rest.

Steve Gonzales
04-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Speaking of 250's, it looks to me like you've got your 250's set up backwards to their intended positions. Any reason why?. If you like em' that way, that's fine with me, just curious.

Titanium Dome
04-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Speaking of 250's, it looks to me like you've got your 250's set up backwards to their intended positions. Any reason why?. If you like em' that way, that's fine with me, just curious.

If it's like the original L250, this is what JBL had to say:

Mr. Widget
04-07-2006, 09:33 PM
They look equally dumb either way... so I don't think it matters.:duck:

Widget

Titanium Dome
04-07-2006, 09:51 PM
They look equally dumb either way... so I don't think it matters.:duck:

Widget

After all, we've seen your picture... :spin:

Unfortunately, you've also seen mine. :barf: Okay, you win this time.

Steve Gonzales
04-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Ya learn something new every day around here. Thanks Ti Dome.

g_t_r
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Has anybody know, who did design JBL TL 260? I knew, that JBL resume production of this limited model, in this year (2009)!

JBL 4645
05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
The shape is familiar (L250, 250Ti, XPL250), as are the drivers (L8400 12"(?)PolyPlas driver; Studio L Series 8" and 4" PolyPlas drivers; 1" Ti dome w/ EOS Waveguie; 3/4" Mylar in Bi-Radial horn).

First I saw a pair of these was late 1980’s around 89 at Hi-Fi store not too far from where I live, its closed now, well it closed about 9 10 years ago I think.

Those Ti was around few grand at the time.

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1007&thumb=1&d=1188817726 http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12778&stc=1&d=1139119816
Four-way and a five-way unless I’m missing something that looks like one of those super high ultra frequency tweeters that only, bats can hear.:D

Dome, didn’t you have the garage choc-a-block full once with (JBL Performance Series).:D
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3272 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3272)

I see there is an another thread on this JBL product.

JBL TL 260 Limited Edition, 60th Anniversary – help
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=220349 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=220349)