PDA

View Full Version : 130a's - how to identify cones

kar2n
02-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi...i would like to get some info on how to identify if my cones are original, good re-cones or bad re-cones.

http://www.geocities.com/sahom/c34_kit/130a/

I have several JPEGs of new_130a.... and older_130a.... There is a third that has a torn cone and what looks to be an incorrect re-cone (aluminum dust cover).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

Steve Schell
02-04-2006, 10:31 PM
My knowledge of newer (1960s forward!) JBL products is really limited, but I'll contribute what I can.

The D-130A began in 1947 and used the same cone as the D-130, the Hawley-produced #130202. It was an all-paper, curvilinear cone of magnificent quality. Hawley produced cones for nearly all the major U.S. manufacturers for about four decades.

The 130A differs from the 130 in that it has a paper dust dome rather than aluminum, and an edgewound copper voice coil rather than aluminum.

Cones through at least the mid 1960s were stamped with the same Hawley number, although the later ones are a bit thicker than the early, feather light cones. At some point in the 1960s (?) JBL began treating the outer paper suspension with the black stuff to increase durability, as the untreated paper hinge often wears out and breaks. Later the cone was changed to one with an accordian fabric surround; not sure if this occurred with the D series, or later with the E series.

I was thumbing through your pictures when the Geocities site went offline due to excess traffic. From the pictures I did see, it looks like your earlier 130A with the Big L Jim Lansing decal and early cast pot (circa 1954-56) has definitely been reconed, as it would have had an untreated cone originally. Someone may have also changed the connectors, as these usually have solder terminals. The later one with oval metal badge looks like it could have the original cone. The center domes are usually brown in color compared to the cone, like yours.

kar2n
02-05-2006, 03:16 PM
thanx for the assist.

guess...i should be looking for model numbers on the back of the cones to make sure i have the right re-cone on my older 130a.

kar2n
05-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Okay....i finally got the other speaker out and it is an older 130a with a serial number of 505169 on a paper label. This is the older style Jim Lansing style frame with a #21057 stamped cone.

Is this a 130a cone? If not, what speaker is it for?

thanx

edgewound
05-08-2006, 09:36 AM
That looks like it has been reconed at some point with a 2220 recone kit, which is the correct kit per the factory in which to recone a 130A.

There might be some white or yellow pencil writing on the cone rear somewhere that says "2220A"(8 ohm) or "2220B"(16 ohm) and maybe some initials and/or a date of the recone.

That "daisy" shaped, cone fatigue in the cone is due to over excursion abuse. It's worth the price of the frame, because it needs to be reconed.