PDA

View Full Version : DBX Soundfield V

Alan Fletcher
02-03-2006, 01:14 PM
A friend of mine has a pair of these that he loves dearly. He is in need of a ribbon slot tweeter. The tweet has been popped for years and he has been having difficulty sourcing a replacement, as am I.

If anyone can source one for me, or point me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative. I know it's a long-shot, but if there's any hope, I think I'd find it through one of the forum members here.

Thanks,

-A

duaneage
02-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I saw a pair on ebay last month. the seller was parting out a pair of L100T and he had tweeters for the dbx sound field as well as other parts.

DBX went under about 18 years ago and what resurfaced had little to do with the old company.

armyscout44
05-29-2006, 04:14 PM
yOU can get a replacement at OAKTREENT it's a vintage electronics website.

Regarding DBX, DBX never folded, they continued to manufacture sound processors which they have been noted for even all throughout the 90's, since the dbx 1,3,5 ds dynamic range controllers were manufactured in 1992.
DBX is the same company. They just restructured and discontinued manufacturing loudspeakers.
They have been manufacturing processors for over 30 yrs. You may have mixed up BSR/ADC which was their competitor besides numark, behringer etc.
DBX have been manufacturing professional processors/compressors/limiters/crossovers for professional use for decades.
I do not know where you get your information from.
I am an owner, collector and follower of DBX products. They have been around for a long time like JBL, ALTEC LANSING, CERWIN VEGA, PEAVEY, ELECTROVOICE like BOSE, KLIPSH, BIC AND KLH.

Companies that were great that folded were SAE, LUXMAN(most went to carver corp, now sunfire)NIKKO AUDIO, ACOUSTAT, SOUNDCRAFTSMEN, ADC and companies like KYOCERA who stopped manufacturing home electronics and concentrated on government related electronics.

Mr. Widget
05-29-2006, 04:39 PM
You may also try The Soudwell in Berkeley. They used to have lots of DBX parts including tweeters. Since eBay their business has changed a bit, but an e-mail or phone call couldn't hurt.

http://www.thesoundwell.com/

Widget

duaneage
06-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I talked to Gene Randolf (sp) in 1990 about the demise of dbx. Gene was an engineer for them and ran a repair business for a while before selling his stuff to soundwell. I recall he told me of the trash dunpsters they filled with stuff as the end drew near. He and his wife spirited losts of stuff out the back door. I contacted him for parts and manuals for my collection of processors but never got around to ordering from him.

dbx pissed off the military exchange and they withdrew the products in 1989. This combines with massive debt broke the back. dbx reemerged and reorganized but their consumer market was left out. The all in one receivers and surround sound craze left outboard processors in the cold. It was a long story.

I bought a 400xg signal router from ebay for parts, those selector switches on the ds series are a real problem and hard to find. One 400xg can fix many other dbx boxes.

duaneage
06-20-2006, 09:14 PM
You may also try The Soudwell in Berkeley. They used to have lots of DBX parts including tweeters. Since eBay their business has changed a bit, but an e-mail or phone call couldn't hurt.

http://www.thesoundwell.com/

Widget

Soundwell leads you here http://www.musicianservice.com/service.html
but the site is pretty dead. I doubt they have many parts at all.