PDA

View Full Version : Hangman? Isolation?

sdaniel
02-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Hello to all.

Admittedly this is barely about JBL, as I am looking for advice on how to hang JBL bookshelf speakers on the wall. Now before you start thinking of wisecracks, I’ll add that I want to isolate them from the house structure, to lessen sound migration.

I have a pair of model 64’s, which I find to be very nice for their size. They are in the workshop; so the mounting system has no WAF requirements, in fact a little Tim Allen type stylizing might be fun. (TAF?) How about mini bike shocks, or baby carriage suspension parts? Or we could float them on water or air, like a hovercraft.:D

I am stuck with only two serious ideas, hanging them from springs or bungee, or building shelves and putting a damping material under them. Even with those ideas I’d be interested in others thoughts on what material to use, or how to choose a spring, and so on.

Thanks,

SDaniel

grumpy
02-03-2006, 10:38 AM
OK, I'll bite... What's a model 64?

Might look into monitor ceiling/wall mounting kits... some of those have suspensions.

-grumpy

sdaniel
02-03-2006, 11:46 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-model-62-bookshelf-speaker-rosewood-cabnit-nice_W0QQitemZ5860755915QQcategoryZ61377QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is a two way bookshelf speaker, probably not a real JBL because if I recall corectly, the basket is stamped. Yeas ago I bought a pair for my Dad, and over the years came to like them. They can be found on Ebay from time to time, and can be a good value, if you don't tell all the most fanatical JBL nuts about your little secret. Dhoo!:blink: