PDA

View Full Version : EV SX300 PROBLEM

martin3030
02-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Hi,
I have a pair of EV SX300s and have recently discovered a problem with one of them.

The main driver and the compression horn both work but the sound is overall very dull as though the top end is not performing as it should.
I have a suspicion its something on the x over I wonder if anyone has any ideas ?

I have a reasonable ability to renew components but first need to have some other experiences / diagnosis.

Thanks

JBL Dog
02-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Hi,
I have a pair of EV SX300s and have recently discovered a problem with one of them.

The main driver and the compression horn both work but the sound is overall very dull as though the top end is not performing as it should.
I have a suspicion its something on the x over I wonder if anyone has any ideas ?

I have a reasonable ability to renew components but first need to have some other experiences / diagnosis.

Thanks

It sounds to me like the diaphragm in the HF driver has possibly gotten hot and is damaged. For a quickie troubleshoot, pull the HF drivers and install them in the opposite cabinet. If the problem persists in the opposite cabinet, replace the phragm. If the "good" driver now sounds weak, your crossover is bad. Me thinks you have a bad phragm. The HF is a real pain to work on because you have to take the modeled cabinet apart (about 12 screws). I have 8 sets of EV's (two sets of SX300's, two sets of SX100's and four sets of S152's) that I use professionally. They can all pretty much take a beating and are very reliable.

Good Luck!

martin3030
02-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks very much I will try that !!

Martin