PDA

View Full Version : While we're at it.....

invstbiker
02-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I confess that I'm not the electronic tinkering type, but a wrench on a motorcycle, I can do. AND if this thread doesn't belong here, sorry.....

How about a forum listing services available that could be provided by members for a fee of course.
ie:

Woodworking,
Electronics,
re-foam/re-cone,
grills
etc.

I read with interest about re-doing crossovers with new and better parts, but I gotta tell ya, I'm not going to stick a soldering iron on my crossovers because I know I'd screw 'em up. :blink: Then I'd really be up the creek......no music. However, I would be more than willing to pay someone here to do the job. I'm sure there are others here too in the same "boat" as me.

What say you?

Mr. Widget
02-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Probably not a bad idea. I would assume such a thread should live in the Market Place as a "Sticky". Let's see if others want to chime in.

Widget

jim3860
02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Probably not a bad idea. I would assume such a thread should live in the Market Place as a "Sticky". Let's see if others want to chime in.

Widget I think its a great idea, I always have something that needs doing. And id rather pay a member here than the local thief.:p he is ok just slower than hell. sometimes up to 6 months to get a repair done, but is the only show in town.:)

Mr. Widget
02-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I've thought about it a bit more and there are potential conflict of interest issues and potential presumed or real endorsement issues.

There are many issues that would need to be dealt with to keep this fair for all concerned.

Another thing to think about is that the vast majority "problems" we have had over the years have been when members get tangled up in dealings relating to the "Market Place". Unless we can come up with a set of guidelines that can make a services listing a benefit to all without increasing the likelihood of causing problems between members, we shouldn't do it.

I think a simple listing of services offered and locations with no room for comments or endorsements might work.

Widget

Zilch
02-03-2006, 02:05 AM
No concern that we'd get flooded with commercial interests wanting to do free advertising here?

If someone wants a crossover built or a cabinet refinished, they might simply post accordingly, and interested members respond via PM, as has been occasional practice here.

If we're gonna set up classifieds, they should generate income for the forum and the person managing them....

Ian Mackenzie
02-03-2006, 02:08 AM
Most of it is word of mouth and reputation much like any business in any other industry.

I am not sure how it would work over here but over on Diyaudio.com they run Banners for sponsors products. Have any businesses made donations?

An aternative would be to list Forum useful Links (hyperlinks) to www addresses that offer relevent services.

At any rate members appeared to be particularly resourceful in seeking out assistance without the need for listings or advertising.

Ian

4313B
02-03-2006, 02:54 AM
At any rate members appeared to be particularly resourceful in seeking out assistance without the need for listings or advertising.

IanAgreed

norealtalent
02-03-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm with Ian on this one. If you want/need it, post it. There are plenty of knowledgeable and experienced people here willing to help. Whether that help is simply pointing in the right direction or actually manifesting the goods/services needed, anything one needs can be obtained through members here, if you do the homework. "How can you have any pudding if you won't eat your meat?"

Somewhat off topic and not directed at any specific individual: For those who are so concerned about the continued maintenance of this site, MAKE A DONATION. We need the support of members who recognize and appreciate the priceless value of what we have here, not another capitalistic commodity to be exploited by entrepreneurial wannabees posting half assed goods and services for profit. That is NOT what this site is for.:bouncy:

JuniorJBL
02-03-2006, 08:56 AM
I see Invstbiker's point, You come to the site, it takes very little time to get very excited about everything JBL and you want to "get started".

But it has also been standard LHS, for members to join hang out for a while get to know the other members. This way you at least get a good idea of who does what on the site. Or you find some one you can ask.

The thing I see that could go wrong is we (LHS) put some names of people up who want to do this and then one or some of those people can not do it, do not have time or somthing else.
So the person who is interested in some services would maybe get a little upset and say " but thier name is up there, why wont they do it?"
I still think it better to stay with "The way it has been". It really does not take very long to meet some forumites who can direct you to the proper place!;)

Mr. Widget
02-03-2006, 11:27 AM
At any rate members appeared to be particularly resourceful in seeking out assistance without the need for listings or advertising.I also agree. I have taken on a couple of projects for fellow forum members, but I would never include myself in a list of services. For me, as most of us, this is a hobby and the last thing I want is to be inundated with requests.

The natural filtering that occurs by requiring people read through the various threads has certainly worked for me.

Widget

Titanium Dome
02-03-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't have any real talents but I'm always up for making a buck. I'd be in favor of this if there were a "grab bag" category where talentless goobers could get paid to do something surprising.

Otherwise, I think the meaningful exchanges take place here through channels that are already open.

Mr. Widget
02-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Dome,

I'm glad you posted that... we have been looking for a talentless goober. I had no idea where to look.:bouncy:

Widget

grumpy
02-03-2006, 03:59 PM
...at your service :D

-grumpy

Zilch
02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
I'd be in favor of this if there were a "grab bag" category where talentless goobers could get paid to do something surprising.Sometimes, ya jus' KILL me, man! :thmbsup:

duaneage
02-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I'd love to work with fellow members on some projects in my area where we just got together for a couple of weekends or nights to build up something or modify a system or two. But a commercial enterprise has many pitfalls and promises. A real potential for trouble exists.

But on that note I would be willing to help anyone in the Philly - Wilmington build a system as long as they buy the materials and the pizza.

invstbiker
02-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Sometimes you guys get toooo deep. This is really simple. No banners, no "classified". If I were an expert on crossovers ( of which I have asked for help, and I would certainly pay for it, but got zero response) I would simply post. "I can help members with crossovers, here's my name" OK? PM me, describe the situation, send 'em out, do the fix, pay for them on the agreed amount, get 'em back, simple, easy. If the person doing the job doesn't want to do so, then don't, if ya do, ya do. Simple. If ya want to post saying "hey I got my crossovers back and there awesome, thx to-------:applaud: thats ok too. This is not to over commercial this at all, Use the KISS principle for 'cryin-out-loud.:blink:

OK, I have 4333A's that I would like to have the crossovers updated, If there was a listing of services, I could PM the guy and find out. Doing it the old fashion way, there is no response, maybe unless you're an insider, and with my measly number of posts, I doubt it will happen. Does this make it a little clearer to the "higher powers here". Yea, I'm pissed, I've been drinkin':D What say you?

Mr. Widget
02-03-2006, 11:47 PM
OK, I have 4333A's that I would like to have the crossovers updated... What say you?So post the question and your location and see if anyone wants to jump in.

Good Luck.

Widget

4313B
02-04-2006, 05:38 AM
OK, I have 4333A's that I would like to have the crossovers updated... What say you?I guess I'm surprised you haven't received a ton of PM's offering assistance.

PM me, describe the situation, send 'em out, do the fix, pay for them on the agreed amount, get 'em back, simple, easy.In a perfect world I reckon it would be that simple...

sonofagun
02-04-2006, 07:10 AM
A lot of good responses to the original post here. I agree it's mainly a matter of searching around the forums and/or asking for help. You eventually find someone to help you or will learn who does what.

I think everyone here knows what I do...or am trying to do! :banghead:

Quadrex should be coming soon!!!!

invstbiker
02-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Have one pair of 4333A crossovers that I would like to have updated-upgraded. Anybody here offer this service and approx cost? THX

JuniorJBL
02-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Maybe a mod can move this to tech help section.

I would help you but my time is limited with a shop that is not finished, work and this hobby of ours. I can do an upgrade on your crossovers as long as you do not want to chsnge crossover points or drivers. I do not have the test equipment to do this kind of work. If you have not found someone to do this for you by this late spring then I can help you then.

I would think about trying to do this yourself. If you can work on bikes then you can obvioulsy work with your hands. It really is fun to do these things and then you get the satisfation of a job well done. This hobby of ours can mean we learn about many different things.
Shane;)

invstbiker
02-04-2006, 01:25 PM
"would think about trying to do this yourself. If you can work on bikes then you can obvioulsy work with your hands. It really is fun to do these things and then you get the satisfation of a job well done. This hobby of ours can mean we learn about many different things.
Shane;)"

I do realize this is a hobby for many people here, I do not have the inclination to ruin a pair of crossovers, it's much easier to pay someone that knows what there doing to get this done. Motorcycle mechanics is totally different than working on electronics and I simply do not have the time to "try it out". If I cannot get any help, I'll just leave 'em alone. Obviously, i cannot just bring 'em down to Joe Blows audio store, they would'nt know what to do with them either. So I am asking here, I'm not in a hurry, they work now. I've received zero PM's on this subject. Hence my idea for a "service section" Thank you.

kingjames
02-04-2006, 03:39 PM
when I posted that I needed info on my woofer for the 120ti's I instantly got a pm from a member to offer to recone at a very good price and I accepted. The finished product should arrive this coming week.I think PM's from members who offer service for a fee are members who feel comfortable with their skills.Some members might have great knowledge in doing crossovers but may not feel comfortable in charging a fee..Once you charge a fee a lot of variables come into being, timeline's , guarantee's , and customer satisfaction.etc,Posting a thread on my woofer got me the exact response that I was hoping for.But more important than that, I was smart enough to post the thread in the first place,being smart is not knowing everything,being smart is knowing (where to look) for the info you need.

Mr. Widget
02-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I was smart enough to post the thread in the first place,being smart is not knowing everything,being smart is knowing (where to look) for the info you need.I'd add that being smart is also knowing your limitations. While it is impressive when a newbie jumps in head first way beyond their knowledge and skill set, it is best to take it slowly and get help where needed.

I have no idea why no one has jumped in to help with this crossover situation. Maybe like myself everyone is too buried with other projects at the moment.

Good luck.

Widget

4313B
02-04-2006, 03:52 PM
I have no idea why no one has jumped in to help with this crossover situation. Maybe like myself everyone is too buried with other projects at the moment.That'd be my guess. I figure it will be around April before I can do anything new.

Mr. Widget
02-04-2006, 03:57 PM
April... I wish I was that far ahead! I met with my current speaker client the other day and told him it be quite a few weeks yet before I deliver his new babies... he said weeks sounds better than months. I told him that weeks added up to months and he'd see a few of those go by first...

Widget

4313B
02-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Oh... I forgot to specify which year. Sorry Widget :banghead:

invstbiker
02-04-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm in SD for the months of June, July, Aug and Sept. During those months my speakers sit idle. So if someone wanted to make a few $$$ and not be under ANY TIME CONSTRAINTS or PRESSURE.........Maybe the fact that no one here wants to deal with a person like me that drinks a "few too many and was pissed" could be the issue. :blink: . That's my own fault and sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. Probably should'nt "drink and post". Well at least I recognize it :p. I still believe a service area would be appropriate. That way people like myself who don't have the expertise to tackle (and are smart enough to know there not an expert) such a project can simply go to the source rather than posting about what a person needs and hoping for a positive response. Seems way easier and more efficient than going back and forth with these needless posts.