PDA

View Full Version : Making L300 Speaker Grilles

SteveL300
02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
I’m going to attempt to make new grilles for my L300’s. The original particle board base frames have broken in several areas over the years and need to be replaced.

Question 1. Anybody know anyone that makes speaker grilles?

Questions 2. Has anybody on this forum ever made there own L300 speaker grilles?

I was going to start with 5/8” MDF instead of particle board. I’m looking for any tips from anyone that has ever made there own L300 speaker grilles before I start cutting so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

mbottz
02-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I can help you with the making of a set of grills if you need. I have a set of 300's to copy, and have made many types of grills, such as l-100, 4311, l112, l65 and so on.

PM me if you dont have the resources to do it yourself.

I was just thinking, that if the old grills are not broken too badly, I could just replace the broken parts and save you some $$$'s

Just a thought

MB

Rolf
02-03-2006, 03:51 AM
I can help you with the making of a set of grills if you need. I have a set of 300's to copy, and have made many types of grills, such as l-100, 4311, l112, l65 and so on.

PM me if you dont have the resources to do it yourself.

I was just thinking, that if the old grills are not broken too badly, I could just replace the broken parts and save you some $$$'s

Just a thought

MB

Do you have drawings for grills to the 4343? I am soon starting to make a pair.

Rolf

mbottz
02-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I have pictures and dimensions of the 4333 grills and to me they look like the same construction, just a different shape. Does anyone know if I am correct?
Let me know as it should not be very difficult to make a repo. All I need to know is the inside dimension you wish to fit.

Anyone?

mb

subwoof
02-03-2006, 06:09 PM
I made 4 frames for the 4343 a few years ago. The material I used was a panel of 3/4 solid pine ripped into strips and ! cut all the pieces + angles on a 10" table saw without any special jigs.

Do NOT use the "grainless wonder" crap or it will suffer the same fate down the road as the factory ones. Pine readily takes glue, will allow nailing without splitting and can be easily sanded.

I kept a sample corner in the woodshop templates box and can post a picture tomorrow night.

sub

4313B
02-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I've done them all kinds of ways and the solid pine approach seems best.

Fangio
02-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Do you have drawings for grills to the 4343? I am soon starting to make a pair.

Rolf

Rolf, probably pics of original grilles could help. Have a nice pair and would publish some from all details you need in case you and others are interested. Could also measure the dimensions of course, this would be metric though.

Rolf
02-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Rolf, probably pics of original grilles could help. Have a nice pair and would publish some from all details you need in case you and others are interested. Could also measure the dimensions of course, this would be metric though.

Yes Fangio, please do that and include every dimension. It might be easier if you send this to my and others interessted private e-mail.

Rolf

Hamilton
02-04-2006, 10:30 AM
I've got six frames to build next week and I couldn't get excited about using any glue board, even though it would be easier. So I will build these with sticks of poplar having "biscuit" miters and "mortise & tenon" butt joints. Time consuming, yep...but worth it.