PDA

View Full Version : pre/pro questions

eyedoc
01-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Greetings
I come once again seeking knowledge. I am looking for a HT pre/pro. I started with a Pioneer when Dolby Pro Logic first came out (oops, I’m showing my age). After admitting to helplessness over JBL’s, I realized that the weakest link was no longer the speakers. Next step was vintage Adcom. Great sound, but lacked the processor to keep up with DTS, DD, ES... Next step was a Sherwood Newcastle. Great HT processor, but lousy 2 channel. :barf: I now am back to the sound of the Pioneer.:banghead: Amps are fine for the time being, as they sounded great with the older Adcom Pre, (McIntosh 250, Adcom 555II, Onkyo Integra 506, Parasound 260). Yes I know that they don’t match, but one thing at a time. And besides, I am still playing with different amps to see what I really want to keep.

So here is my question. Any recommendations for a affordable processor? Any one have any history with Outlaw products? I have also been reading where the current HK units (receives) are sounding quite good, but am not sure how they really stand up to the components. I am open to new or used, and want to stay under $700. Any thoughts???:help:

kevin

JuniorJBL
01-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I use a Rotel 1068. They do go for around $1200.00 used but it is a pretty nice unit for the price. I have used the Adcom's and was not happy with them. (GTP 750, GTP830,860) I had to send every one back to the shop for problems. I have also tried using the denon 2805 3805 and they work fairly well. You are not going to find to many good ones for much less than $1000. IMO.

I have never tried or heard the Outlaw, tho I have heard many and another I had my reserves about was the B&K.
Maybe some of the other forumites can give there findings.
Shane

eyedoc
01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks Shane.
I agree with you about the adcom 7XX series. I have heard nothing but problems about them. Anybody have experience with the Sunfire Theater Grand? They seem to be starting in this range as well.

JuniorJBL
01-31-2006, 12:24 PM
I would imagine that would be a good start. It would have to be better than the adcom (I hope).

Try a google on that and see if there are some reviews.;)

eyedoc
01-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Do you know of a place where they actually have OBJECTIVE reviews?

Uncle Paul
01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't think there is any place that will give a wholly objective review of anything, but Audioholics has a pretty decent in depth review of the Theater Grand worth checking out. It appears that the later versions are much improved over the earlier models.

JuniorJBL
01-31-2006, 12:49 PM
This seems ok. I does seem that most people like it tho.

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/surround-decoders/sunfire-theater-grand-ii.html

Michael Smith
01-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey Eyedoc
I reckon you are limiting your search, why not look at AV recr's with pre outs; bearing in mind you only have $700 notes to throw at it.
The upshot will be that when you have realised that more bucks are needed you will get lots more bucks back when sell your AV recr, that will leave a nicer taste in your mouth than using the cheap pre / processor as land fill.
Regards
Michael

Titanium Dome
01-31-2006, 07:42 PM
You might consider taking a look at the used treasures that line JBL's parent company's vaults.

One of the finest pre/pros ever was the Harman Kardon Citation 5.0, which can be had in a DD 5.1 and DTS version, along with Jim Fosgate's pre-ProLogicII effort, 6Axis.

This unit is stunning to look at and even more stunning to hear. Its stereo analog bypass section is exceptional, and the noise floor is the lowest I've never heard. (THat's a play on words. ;) ) It's also got stereo sub outputs with super bass management and a Party Mode that'll blow out your windows if you attach the right amps. Make sure you get the latest software upgrade (1.55) available for less than $30 from HK if you know the right guy.

This unit originally sold for around $3k, but is available on the used market for $700 or less.

A lesser unit to consider is the HK Signature 2.0, which was pretty freakin' nice, too, and you can get it for less than the Citation.

(Sorry the picture sucks. I took it a few years ago.)

Titanium Dome
01-31-2006, 08:26 PM
To me the biggest limitation of the 5.0 would be the video inputs: composite and S-Video only. However, in my case, my DVD player goes RGB direct to my CRT projector, so no big whoop.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm using a Fosgate Audionics FAP-T1+ on my main system, so my comments relate to past experience with the Citation 5.0.

duaneage
01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
I use a Yamaha DSP-100 surround processor. It is not a Dolby or THX type processor per se but it is a remarkable unit. They are very inexpensive on eBay and offer 24 presets and 12 built in modes. You can tune the response by reverbation time, reflections, room size, and a host of combinations.

Not as highbrow as other processors but I really like what it does without being too much. The remote control is essential so if you consider one make sure it has it. You'll need 7 channels of amps as it is only a processor. I use 2 Yamaha M-35 amps for the surround and my M-45 for the mains. It has a mono center out and a subwoofer out as well.

EBay has them for 150 dollars or so.

Ducatista47
02-01-2006, 08:20 AM
There is another way to HT. I purchased a 16:9 HDTV, not a monitor, which has every input known to man, and a Denon DVD-1920 which has HDMI, composite, component and s-video outputs, as well as 5.1 and 2.0 analog audio outputs (Dolby and DTS, reads SACD's and DVD-A's too). The Denon has the usual digital outputs; with luck I will never use them. Just add your favorite amps & speakers.:)

I HDMI (and cable) to the TV and analog straight to the amps. 2vRMS output, no preamps needed.

The LG tv was $688, the Denon $329. All brand new and at local dealers.

The key is to get a full tv instead of a monitor. You can guess I watch movies, not tv shows. I watch SciFi Friday and some History Channel; that's it for broadcast. They don't call it Home Theater for nothing!

Clark in Peoria

Chas
02-01-2006, 08:50 AM
There is another way to HT. I purchased a 16:9 HDTV, not a monitor, which has every input known to man, and a Denon DVD-1920 which has HDMI, composite, component and s-video outputs, as well as 5.1 and 2.0 analog audio outputs (Dolby and DTS, reads SACD's and DVD-A's too). The Denon has the usual digital outputs; with luck I will never use them. Just add your favorite amps & speakers.:)

I HDMI (and cable) to the TV and analog straight to the amps. 2vRMS output, no preamps needed.

The LG tv was $688, the Denon $329. All brand new and at local dealers.

The key is to get a full tv instead of a monitor. You can guess I watch movies, not tv shows. I watch SciFi Friday and some History Channel; that's it for broadcast. They don't call it Home Theater for nothing!

Clark in Peoria
I was going to suggest the same idea, only using a Sony ES series receiver. The new ones might not have HDMI, I am not sure, BUT-they do have a good selection of component video ins and outs. I only use HDMI direct from my DVD to a Panasonic plasma for the video only. My HD cable box only has component video anyway.

It has all the necessary analog outs, plus a very comprehensive DSP capability for the money.

jim campbell
02-09-2006, 04:58 PM
i agree w/junior. the rotel is good value and not too far off your budget