PDA

View Full Version : Feeling guilty about parting out my L200's..

DennisZ
01-29-2006, 10:57 PM
I've been reading this forum and watching Ebay ever since I've decided to sell by beloved L200's. I'm the original owner ( I had four of them in the 70's, remember Quad?) and I know that I'll probably regret it some day. I don't listen to music at home anymore and these are being wasted as my home theater front speakers.
The point is I've decided to part them out. It seems that the L200's aren't a very desirable model but the components bring top dollar on Ebay. Even the empty cabinets sell for a couple of hundred bucks. Also, these are not stock, I installed 077's with the N8000 crossovers to make them into a poor man's L300. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts the price of the complete unit.
I know some of you feel it's bad karma to rip up an old set of JBL's so either talk me out of it, or if you're interested, let me know before the pieces go on Ebay.

mech986
01-30-2006, 01:56 AM
HI DennisZ,

Welcome to Lansing Heritage! Hope your stay here is a good one. I'm sure you will get some inquiries about your speakers, especially if someone is close by to minimize shipping if they want the whole speaker.

I might be interested in the some of the drivers depending on how many you have and their condition. I'll send you a PM (Private message) with the particulars. If you want to contact me, you can send a PM or email.

Regards,

Bart

edgewound
01-30-2006, 11:03 AM
I've been reading this forum and watching Ebay ever since I've decided to sell by beloved L200's. I'm the original owner ( I had four of them in the 70's, remember Quad?) and I know that I'll probably regret it some day. I don't listen to music at home anymore and these are being wasted as my home theater front speakers.
The point is I've decided to part them out. It seems that the L200's aren't a very desirable model but the components bring top dollar on Ebay. Even the empty cabinets sell for a couple of hundred bucks. Also, these are not stock, I installed 077's with the N8000 crossovers to make them into a poor man's L300. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts the price of the complete unit.
I know some of you feel it's bad karma to rip up an old set of JBL's so either talk me out of it, or if you're interested, let me know before the pieces go on Ebay.

Those make killer home theater speakers...you'll regret it...unless you just need a change...then after your change, you might still regret it.

Zilch
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Swap out the woofers for 2235H and change the low/mid crossovers to 800 Hz 3110 (not "A").

Close off one of the ports for extended bass if you're not using a sub.

They will live anew for you.... :yes:

Uncle Paul
01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
...or read through the Q&D thread and turn them into pseudo 4430's.

Be well rested and make sure you brew a pot of coffee before you start reading. It's a MONSTER thread, but chock full of the good stuff...

majick47
01-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Dennis you'll kick yourself later for selling/parting the L200, your half way there with the 077 and N8000. My L200b with 2405/3106 sound quite respectable up against the L300.

DennisZ
01-30-2006, 09:46 PM
I drive so much for work that by the time I get home, I'm done with music. These speakers are wasted in a home theater set-up. When I first set-up my HT in the early 90's, I used a Sony ES 2000ESD A/V Prologic Preamp that allowed me to EQ my Center, Fronts and Mains seperately. This worked great as my speakers were mismatched brands. I just recently went Dolby Digital with an Outlaw 990 and I must now EQ the system as a whole. I really notice the difference in the speakers so it's time for a matched system. Let's face it, five L200's wouldn't be very practical.

DennisZ
01-30-2006, 10:19 PM
My pop-up blocker stopped me from getting your PM. You can email me at [email protected]. The drivers ( 077's, LE15B's, LE85's, H91 Horns and yes I have both L91 lens ) are in, dare I say it, excellent condition. None of them have ever been rebuilt and all the wax seals are still there.
The N8000 Xovers are in very good condtion but here's the rub. The LX16 crossovers are a mess. I had so many problems with those cheesy spring loaded wire connectors that, well, let's just say the LX16's need to be rebuilt. I was just going to leave them in the cabinets and not bother selling them seperately. That's one of the reasons I'm parting theL200's out.
I purchased a custom 3 way crossover from Gold Sound ( 1200 and 8K ) years ago to use the speakers while I upgraded the JBL Xovers. Just never got around to doing it.