PDA

View Full Version : Cars with loud speakers may be seized in the city??

JBL Dog
01-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Just ran across this in the local on-line newspaper. Good thing we don't have such restrictions on our home rigs!

Read on:

Cars with loud speakers may be seized in the city

By Jake Wagman ([email protected])
POST-DISPATCH
01/27/2006

St. Louis police will be able to seize cars blasting loud music under a bill passed today by the Board of Aldermen.

The bill mirrors laws in other cities, prohibiting the use and even installation of some enhanced speakers.

Alderman Craig Schmids proposal easily had enough votes to pass, but not after aldermen turned up the volume on their own concerns. Impounding a car for playing loud music is to severe, opponents said, and ripe for abuse.

God damn it - its America, Alderman Stephen Conway said. Weve got a constitution.

Schmid said he wanted to send a strong message to drivers who cruise through residential areas, jarring neighbors and rattling windows.

I analogize it to auditory graffiti, Schmid said.

Other aldermen said loud music coming from cars is among their top complaints from constituents. The music gets so loud, Alderman Dionne Flowers, that when youre in bed, you fall out.

The bill prohibits operating car stereo equipment that creates louder volume than is necessary for convenient, normal hearing, which is the same language as the citys current anti-noise ordinance.

But the new law outlaws possessing or installing any car stereo with a speaker over a foot in diameter; having more than one speaker 10 inches in diameter; more than 10 speakers overall; more than two amplifiers; and any amplifier over 300 watts.

In addition to impounding the car, possible penalties include a minimum of $250 fine on the first offense and $500 on subsequent offenses within a year.

Aldermen complained that the law was heavy-handed. Stephen Gregali, who represents the 14th Ward, questioned whether police would get rulers to measure the length of speakers.

Its like killing an ant with a howitzer, Alderman Charles Q. Troupe said.

Bob Pfeiffer, who has been installing custom car stereos for 23 years in St. Louis, said the law could destroy his business.

I might as well lock my doors now, said Pfeiffer, who operates Automotion Alarm and Car Stereo on N. Broadway.

Not all tricked out stereos are used for cruising and thumping music, Pfeiffer said. His clients include jazz musicians.

What a crock, Pfeiffer said. Its really a bogus bill.

kingjames
01-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Here in Chicago this has been going on for years. Once they take your car you have to pay $500.00 to get it back. It's happened to my son a couple of times already. there is no recourse either.It sucks! Just have to turn it down quickly when you see a cop.:biting:

JBL Dog
01-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Here in Chicago this has been going on for years. Once they take your car you have to pay $500.00 to get it back. It's happened to my son a couple of times already. there is no recourse either.It sucks! Just have to turn it down quickly when you see a cop.:biting:

I've seen the local cops issue tickets for loud car stereos, but this car seizure thing is something I did not know was going on in other places. My homes back up to a secondary artery where I live. For those familiar with the area, Clayton Rd. is about 40 feet from my bedroom window. Up until we installed new siding and windows about 5 years ago, I was being awakened at all hours by obnoxious car stereos. I have no problem with, say, a $50 fine + court costs. Seizure of the vehicle is a little extreme. A rountine traffic stop for speeding could escalate into your car being seized if you have a sub box containing dual 10's behind your truck bench? And, it doesn't even have to be on? That ain't right!

4313B
01-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I prefer shooting the offending vehicles with an RPG. Problem solved in a flash - no pun intended. Confiscating and impounding them is a wee bit extreme.

JBL Dog
01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
:D

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/IvoryViperIV/stickerLG.png

briang
01-27-2006, 11:21 PM
But the new law outlaws possessing or installing any car stereo with a speaker over a foot in diameter; having more than one speaker 10 inches in diameter; more than 10 speakers overall; more than two amplifiers; and any amplifier over 300 watts.

There are many factory OEM car-fi systems that will exceed the 10 speaker maximim, more than two amplifiers or the 300 watt amplifier law.:blink:

In addition, the seizure clause is a bit extreme in my opinion.

John
01-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Extreme mobile audio systems = extreme law to stamp it out.:bash:

Maybe if they played real music on these systems, it would have never came down to this???:p

Dynacoman
01-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm all for the law. No need to use a car stereo as a weapon to anoy anyone in it's path.

edgewound
01-28-2006, 05:09 PM
I like the spirit of the law, in that car audio noise has come to the abuse point of fellow citizens. I don't like the measurement of system components however. That could lead down the slipperry slope of limiting engine performance, etc, etc. Noise laws have become necessary because of stupid, inconsiderate, rude, a-hole people. Cars can get impounded for speeding....so why not?

hapy._.face
01-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I prefer shooting the offending vehicles with an RPG. Problem solved in a flash - no pun intended. Confiscating and impounding them is a wee bit extreme.

If you start to see St Louis police cruisers outfitted with the sickest mobile audio systems-you'll know why they started confiscating. Police also confiscated 20 pounds of weed, no make that 11. revise: 2 ounces. Police found a roach.

hapy._.face
01-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe if they played real music on these systems, it would have never came down to this???:p

Perfect! I just had to let people read that twice because it's so true! Good point.

JBL Dog
02-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Alderman withdraws ban on booming car stereos

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
02/03/2006

With the specter of a mayoral veto looming, a St. Louis alderman has withdrawn his get-tough plan on booming car stereos.

Alderman Craig Schmids proposal to allow police to impound cars with enhanced stereo equipment was criticized as overly broad and intrusive. The bill would have allowed the city to fine motorists with some sound systems straight from the factory, even enabling police to take their cars regardless whether the volume was way up or turned on at all.

Im trying to do the right thing, Schmid said after this mornings Board of Aldermen meeting.

Schmid asked the board to basically undo last weeks approval of the bill, sending it back to the Public Safety Committee for revision. The committee will meet on Tuesday, where Schmid said he will propose an amendment that requires loud music to be actually playing before a motorist is in violation of the law.

The move represents an about face for the citys aldermen, who only a week ago approved the stereo ordinance by a 22-4 to vote.

But even the hint of a mayoral veto apparently was enough to reverse the outcome. Mayor Francis Slay, himself an alderman for a decade, has rarely exercised his veto power during his five years as mayor. This week, his office issued a statement saying that while Slay agreed with the spirit of the bill, he had concerns about its methods.

Schmidt said he pulled is bill, in part, in order to prevent Slay from being in the position of being perceived as siding with the car stereo industry over neighborhood concerns.

If he didnt sign it or did sign it, he would be in a spot. And I didnt want to do that, Schmid said.

Joining those with concerns about the bill was Comptroller Darlene Green, who made a rare speaking appearance on the board floor. She told aldermen that plan would hurt some city businesses.

Alan Fletcher
02-03-2006, 03:59 PM
There is no match in the universe for the stupidity of pop culture and its resulting noise pollution.

For four and a half years, I lived in Danbury, CT with my former fiance, in a three level townhouse. Directly in front of our unit was a Citgo station with a payphone in its parking lot. On a nightly basis, at random times, some drug dealing, chrome rim flashing idiot would invariably pull up to the payphone with his headlights shining directly into our living room. With stereo turned up to full volume, engine running, headlights dimming and the door (or sometimes two) open, pictures shook, windows rattled, glass vases on various shelves would vibrate, all in time with the dimming headlights of the offending vehicle.

One night, while I was trying to relax and enjoy my own music, I lost my shit. I waited for the offender to leave, and then I went down to the garage, grabbed a pair of bolt cutters and proceded to walk over to the gas station. I grabbed the receiver from the payphone, cut the cable at the base, and chucked the receiver a conveniently placed garbage can..

The problem stopped for three weeks until the phone company came out and finally, aparently in response to numerous complaints, removed the phone. :applaud:

Use it responsibly, or lose it. Period.

-A

JBL Dog
02-03-2006, 04:30 PM
There is no match in the universe for the stupidity of pop culture and its resulting noise pollution.

For four and a half years, I lived in Danbury, CT with my former fiance, in a three level townhouse. Directly in front of our unit was a Citgo station with a payphone in its parking lot. On a nightly basis, at random times, some drug dealing, chrome rim flashing idiot would invariably pull up to the payphone with his headlights shining directly into our living room. With stereo turned up to full volume, engine running, headlights dimming and the door (or sometimes two) open, pictures shook, windows rattled, glass vases on various shelves would vibrate, all in time with the dimming headlights of the offending vehicle.

One night, while I was trying to relax and enjoy my own music, I lost my shit. I waited for the offender to leave, and then I went down to the garage, grabbed a pair of bolt cutters and proceded to walk over to the gas station. I grabbed the receiver from the payphone, cut the cable at the base, and chucked the receiver a conveniently placed garbage can..

The problem stopped for three weeks until the phone company came out and finally, aparently in response to numerous complaints, removed the phone. :applaud:

Use it responsibly, or lose it. Period.

-A

Bravo!

:applaud:

Rusnzha
02-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Some of these guys with the big car stereos cruise streets to set off the motion sensors with the vibrations from their subwoofers. They take note of the cars that sleep through this and come back later to strip them.

Mr. Widget
02-03-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't see why they need to impound the cars... an escalating ticket makes more sense... then again if one of our forum members' son's didn't learn the lesson the first time... maybe Giskard is right. Personally I find tricked out Harleys much more offensive. I think they are cool bikes, but they don't need to make my ears bleed. It is blatantly illegal, but no one enforces the laws... I mentioned it to a local motorcycle cop who was riding a very civilized sounding police issue Harley... he looked at me like I was nuts.

Widget

duaneage
02-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Yeah the bikes a real pain where I live. I own two bikes and would never run with offensive pipes. The cars with the bumble-bee mufflers are just as bad. totally illegal and yet never prosecuted. At 2 Am these a-holes are running through the neighborhood with the pipe blaring out the back. One of them was revving it up in the driveway at 1AM.

The bike owners steadfastly argue that loud pipes are safer. I counter that mature riding and attention to traffic is what counts.

But if cars can be yanked away for merely possessing high output audio then that is a slipperly slope where the local government can abuse a law for financial gain. But of course local towns would never abuse a system, would they?:blink:

Alan Fletcher
02-07-2006, 03:26 AM
I have to wonder about the guys who go to Wal-Mart and buy one of those "300w/ch" chinese amps... Wanna arrest me for that? I'd pay you alot of money if you could manage to get 300 watts out of THAT. Hell, I'd GIVE you the goddam car.

You can do alot more damage with efficiency than you can with wattage. :blah:

-A

Maron Horonzakz
02-07-2006, 06:30 AM
I dont like loud mouth cars..A shotgun blast through the windshield would be instant justus.;)

norealtalent
02-07-2006, 06:43 AM

This is my fantasy every time one pulls up within 2 city blocks of me. We don't need some stupid law that will undoubtedly be biasly imposed. We need more RPG's.:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: While we're at it, take those morons with their loud hogs and tuna can mufflers out too. If you can't show a little respect for your fellow humans, get off this planet and take your barking dogs with you!:blah:

4313B
02-07-2006, 07:31 AM
:rotfl:

4313B
02-07-2006, 07:32 AM
I dont like loud mouth cars..A shotgun blast through the windshield would be instant justus.;)I think Grumpy over on AK advocates the same thing. :)

eyedoc
02-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I absolutely agree! My favorite is the 3 cyl econoboxes with the 19"rims, pop-can muffler (used loosely) and the loud rattling of the bondo enhanced rusted trunk. But on the other hand, are we sounding like we are old enough to start yelling get off my lawn. God Im getting old...:crying:

eyedoc

(good thing I never did anything stupid when I was young...)

moldyoldy
02-07-2006, 01:44 PM
eyedoc nailed it, I can (amazingly) remember one of my favorite sayings back in the days of Sex, Drugs, and Rock-N-Roll;

"If it's too loud, you're too old!"

Although I agree the world would sure be more hospitable if everyone tried to think of others, I also feel those who choose to live where the view out your window is of the neighbor's matching one must also be prepared to tolerate the inevitable discomforts that go along with city living. It's pretty quiet out here in the sticks, and when I encounter the thumpers and choppers in town, it's more entertainment than annoyance.

Until recently, I had a 75 mile RT daily commute. Since I spent so much time on the road (and love music), I put a JBL-based setup in my pickup, with subs, active XO, the whole schmear. I really enjoy it, but very seldom do I turn it up where you could hear it from any distance. It's a real gas to pull up alongside some thumper at a stoplight, and drown out their gangsta' (c)rap with some kidney-thumpin' Steely Dan! When they look around to see where it's coming from, they keep looking, 'cause there's no way it's that grey-bearded, balding, old dude in the stock Chevy truck....

norealtalent
02-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Partial
... 'cause there's no way it's that grey-bearded, balding, old dude in the stock Chevy truck....

:thmbsup: :nanana: :thmbsup: It's JBL Grey!!!

moldyoldy
02-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Wow! I hadn't considered that, and I HAVE been doing some spray touch-up of a few misc. old frames.......will report back after a quick thinner-shampoo....

moldyoldy
02-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Nahhh.....it won't come out, guess I'm just really freakin' old.....funny though, after a few minutes behind a ketone-saturated moustache, it really doesn't seem so bad.....I think I kinda like it.....yeah.....

hapy._.face
02-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Moldyoldy-
Needed a good laugh, "Thanks!!"

Now back to the core of this thread:

Perhaps if the music wasn't so offensive on so many levels it could be tolerated. It's offensive to women, white people, black people, musicians, recording engineers, and humans. Add to that- it's being played at a very high SPL. I may not like it on a personal level- but I'm really offended when my three year old gets ""N" this and "N" that. Stick it in your %^&$, and suck it like a $%^" forced in her ears at a stoplight. I'm ready to get out and kick somebody's a$$!!! When I lived in Baltimore (inner city)- I got my fair share of stitches because I refused to submit to that moronic BS and I never shut up! At least I always got a few high quality punches in . Lucky I wasn't ever shot. Now as an overprotective father- If you are gonna forcibly crank violence, and inappropriate media to my innocent little girl's ears- I got something violent for you!! It's the same as a pervert flashing himself at your kid- what are you gonna do about it? Tell you what I'd do... Some things in this world are worth fighting for. I think the sanctity of youth is definitely one of them.

Last I checked- My kid likes Steely Dan.

JBL Dog
02-16-2006, 01:53 PM
http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/images/spacer.gifAldermen pass muted noise bill

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
02/16/2006

The St. Louis Board of Aldermen has approved a muted version of a contentious ordinance aimed at silencing booming car stereos.

Todays vote comes after weeks of debate over a plan by Alderman Craig Schmid to seize vehicles blasting music through city neighborhoods. That original bill won the overwhelming support of aldermen late last month, but boomeranged back to the board after Mayor Francis Slay hinted he could veto it.

Schmids initial proposal was criticized as being overly broad and intrusive. It would have outlawed sound systems that are standard upgrades in some luxury cars and enabled police to seize those vehicles whether they heard music or not. The new plan approved by the board today more closely mirrors similar laws in other cities. Instead of outlawing large speakers and powerful amplifiers, it prohibits playing music that is "plainly audible" from a distance of greater than 75 feet.

Police will still be allowed to impound vehicles violating the law. First time offenders will be fined at least $250 for the first offense and at least $500 on subsequent violations in the same year. A penalty of community service could also be assessed, according to the ordinance.

Schmid told colleagues today the ordinance was intended to go after "trunk thumpers, street pounders and boom cars." He then read from car stereo advertisements featuring slogans such as "wake the dead."

"We have law-abiding citizens that are leaving this city because of loud noise," Schmid said. "There is no constitutional right to blast music." The vote was 19-5. A spokesman for Slay said the mayor would likely sign the measure this time. [email protected] -- 314-622-3580

edgewound
02-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Now as an overprotective father- If you are gonna forcibly crank violence, and inappropriate media to my innocent little girl's ears- I got something violent for you!! It's the same as a pervert flashing himself at your kid- what are you gonna do about it? Tell you what I'd do... Some things in this world are worth fighting for. I think the sanctity of youth is definitely one of them.

Last I checked- My kid likes Steely Dan.

Yes....I still like your thinking. That was me about 10 years ago.

edgewound
02-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Nahhh.....it won't come out, guess I'm just really freakin' old.....funny though, after a few minutes behind a ketone-saturated moustache, it really doesn't seem so bad.....I think I kinda like it.....yeah.....

That is really funny:rotfl: :applaud:

duffdog
04-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Wow,

Of all the ridiculous things to complain about on a stereo forum (Its too loud for me and I don't like your music so go to jail). If you don't like loud stereos where you live....move! Next, people will want laws to protect them from feeling uncomfortable in front of big lifted trucks because they "appear" dangerous. I was one of the little assholes when I was younger-- I had over 5000 watts and 4 18"s in my little truck and I thought it was funny when I could watch the sheetmetal on old peoples buicks vibrate from 10 feet away. It was so loud that many officers couldn't tell which car was making all the noise because the ground was also moving. Now that I am older I just want the kids to have fun like I did, I really don't mind their stereos. After all, my PA system has 120,000 watts and can entertain people for miles. I won't pretend that everyone likes the music that the artist is playing--maybe there should be a law against that too. "All concerts attended by people younger than 40 should be banned"

It all boils down to older people disliking the youth.

Remember your dad telling you that rock and roll is the devil!!!

T

JBL Dog
04-28-2006, 03:04 AM
Wow,

Of all the ridiculous things to complain about on a stereo forum (Its too loud for me and I don't like your music so go to jail). If you don't like loud stereos where you live....move! Next, people will want laws to protect them from feeling uncomfortable in front of big lifted trucks because they "appear" dangerous. I was one of the little assholes when I was younger-- I had over 5000 watts and 4 18"s in my little truck and I thought it was funny when I could watch the sheetmetal on old peoples buicks vibrate from 10 feet away. It was so loud that many officers couldn't tell which car was making all the noise because the ground was also moving. Now that I am older I just want the kids to have fun like I did, I really don't mind their stereos. After all, my PA system has 120,000 watts and can entertain people for miles. I won't pretend that everyone likes the music that the artist is playing--maybe there should be a law against that too. "All concerts attended by people younger than 40 should be banned"

T

Could you kindly share with us what make and model of the little truck you were able cram four 18's in?

hapy._.face
04-28-2006, 06:16 AM

I disagree. I don't remember any rock and roll songs with a working chorus of "suck my MF'ing nuts".
90db of that is nothing like 90db of cheesy guitar solo. :)

MJC
04-30-2006, 09:42 AM
[quote=duffdog]Wow,

If you don't like loud stereos where you live....move!
Why should a person have to move because of some a-hole who is abusing his freedom outputting 5000w of something that's not music in the first place. That's the same as having dinner in a restaurant and a person at the next table over is blowing cigarette smoke over your food.
I like loud music, and I'm pushing over 3100w in my LR, but I'm also living on an acre and if the SPL 60 ft from my front door, with all doors and windows closed, is around 65db that 60ft is only 1/4 the distance to my closest neighbor. Thus my neighbor can't hear it. But with my front door 130+ ft from the street, and again with all doors and windows closed, I can hear some a-hole's thumper while he's driving down the street, and its way over 65db.

I'm old enough to remember the beginning of rock and roll and how the parents and goverment were basicly terrified, of Elvis in particular, and how they tried to stamp it out by drafting him into the Army. So I don't have anything against youth or loud concerts, but there is no need for cars driving down the road shaking the ground for hundreds of ft in all directions with sound blarring from it.

Titanium Dome
04-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Well, part of me is jealous that my ride can't make that kind of SPL...

Titanium Dome
04-30-2006, 09:58 AM
But the smart part of me, in addition to disliking the complete lack of respect that it shows, is wary of the emotional, psychological, and physical effects, both short term and long term, that can accrue due to the potent combo of pumped vehicles, pumped up music, and pumped up testosterone.

(Or maybe I should say pumped up adrenaline, heart rate, and dopamine? Bart, help me out.)

Mr. Widget
04-30-2006, 11:15 AM
...not to mention ear damage. Between iPods and killer car stereos, there will be few left of this generation who will be able to enjoy high end audio.

Widget

duffdog
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
[quote=duffdog]Wow,

If you don't like loud stereos where you live....move! Why should a person have to move because of some a-hole who is abusing his freedom outputting 5000w of something that's not music in the first place. That's the same as having dinner in a restaurant and a person at the next table over is blowing cigarette smoke over your food.
I like loud music, and I'm pushing over 3100w in my LR, but I'm also living on an acre and if the SPL 60 ft from my front door, with all doors and windows closed, is around 65db that 60ft is only 1/4 the distance to my closest neighbor. Thus my neighbor can't hear it. But with my front door 130+ ft from the street, and again with all doors and windows closed, I can hear some a-hole's thumper while he's driving down the street, and its way over 65db.

I'm old enough to remember the beginning of rock and roll and how the parents and goverment were basicly terrified, of Elvis in particular, and how they tried to stamp it out by drafting him into the Army. So I don't have anything against youth or loud concerts, but there is no need for cars driving down the road shaking the ground for hundreds of ft in all directions with sound blarring from it.

I think its hardly appropriate that one person can declare something that another person enjoys, "not music" as if there is only one way to express yourself and if the old guys don't like it, you can't listen to it. I remember in the 90's they created "Bass Music" which was music specifically created to hit the resonant frequencies of other peoples cars/houses/buildings etc. to annoy them beyond all recognition. That fad has since passed, now there are nifty lyrics teaching the youth proper grammar and sentence structure which will sure help them in the business world.

I'm willing to bet you would be the first homeowner to complain If I were to set up my large format system outdoors somewhere within a mile of your house-- it may have something to do with me running 120Kw and you only running 3Kw. I suppose I could complain that your living room is disrupting my concert system, but It wouldn't matter to me that much even if you were. One could make the argument that there is "no need for living rooms with 3000 watts either"

I simply can't believe that someone who enjoys JBL would be the slightest bit annoyed by a little bass? JBL pro audio subs are world renowned for their ability to create vicious, tooth rattling, ground shaking bass. In fact, that has been JBL's claim to fame in recent years. Sound companies are more inclined to purchase a JBL Vertec line array simply because they are powerful enough to rip the ears off even the deafest rocker in the building. I recall rolling small balls of blood out of my ears every day I got out of my truck with 4 18" woofers in it. It hit over 161Db at 65Hz-- by the way, it was a little single cab 1990 toyota truck. behind the seats I cut a large 4 foot port and permanently joined the cab to the bed and had to weld in steel reinforcements so the back window would stop falling out. Ah, those were the days! :D

T

Mr. Widget
05-01-2006, 09:14 PM
I simply can't believe that someone who enjoys JBL would be the slightest bit annoyed by a little bass?I really hope you are joking or just trying to get some attention....

I agree with you that it would be very narrow minded of me to ridicule or condemn music that someone else enjoys and I don't... however invading someone else's home with noxious fumes or loud music is simply rude.

Widget

QwertyAccess
05-01-2006, 09:29 PM
i cant help but be curious what those 18" woofers are?

JBL Dog
05-02-2006, 12:02 AM
i cant help but be curious what those 18" woofers are?

I've already asked about the four 18's in his little truck and have not gotten an answer yet. A pair of dual 18 cabinets takes a pretty good chunk of cargo space in my Chevy one ton van. Personally, I think the guy is F-O-S.

duffdog
05-02-2006, 10:10 AM
I've already asked about the four 18's in his little truck and have not gotten an answer yet. A pair of dual 18 cabinets takes a pretty good chunk of cargo space in my Chevy one ton van. Personally, I think the guy is F-O-S.

They were eminence 600W 18" speakers. I used the whole bed of the truck as an eclosure and ported it into the cab. That was supposed to be cool back in the 90's:applaud:. By the way, have you never seen a truck with a blow-through before?

T

John
05-02-2006, 12:43 PM
:useless: :useless:
They were eminence 600W 18" speakers. I used the whole bed of the truck as an eclosure and ported it into the cab. That was supposed to be cool back in the 90's:applaud:. By the way, have you never seen a truck with a blow-through before?

T

duffdog
05-02-2006, 06:35 PM
:useless: :useless:
well, since you made me dig out some pics from when I was 18--- here you go!

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1962/90toyota9va.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=90toyota9va.jpg)

I don't know how to take a picture of a picture, so the second pic came out really fuzzy--

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3169/18woofers5lu.th.jpg (http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=18woofers5lu.jpg)
T

Audiobeer
05-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Your truck looks great. When you went to pic up chicks and old dad was out on the porch did you have it cranked up full volume? Probably not becaused you figured he would have thought you were an asshole. I know I would have. I had a lot of kids coming to pick up my Daughters. I could hear some coming. It didn't bother me as long as they had it turned down when they got to the driveway. It was all about respecting others peoples rights to enjoy what peace they had. The ones that didn't turn it down usualy always were assholes that for some reason never came back Some had a good reason such as they were deaf and liked the feel of the music. I converted thier truck to elecrical impulses so they could really get a feel for the music and not disturb me. I would support any law that restricts the DB level at certain times of the day. In my neighborhood we don't have that shit because the insurance deductibles are just to high on glass claims. I like hearing the music as a faithful reproduction. A whale farting in a long sustained output is not music.

duffdog
05-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Your truck looks great. When you went to pic up chicks and old dad was out on the porch did you have it cranked up full volume? Probably not becaused you figured he would have thought you were an asshole. I know I would have. I had a lot of kids coming to pick up my Daughters. I could hear some coming. It didn't bother me as long as they had it turned down when they got to the driveway. It was all about respecting others peoples rights to enjoy what peace they had. The ones that didn't turn it down usualy always were assholes that for some reason never came back Some had a good reason such as they were deaf and liked the feel of the music. I converted thier truck to elecrical impulses so they could really get a feel for the music and not disturb me. I would support any law that restricts the DB level at certain times of the day. In my neighborhood we don't have that shit because the insurance deductibles are just to high on glass claims. I like hearing the music as a faithful reproduction. A whale farting in a long sustained output is not music.

well, to be honest, most of the daughters' dads wanted to see what was in my truck. Some were really interested in what I had done because they were hot rodders/ bikers etc, and thought that a kid that did his own welding and electrical work was alright and not one of the kids that would grow up getting their daughters hooked on drugs. But remember, this was the 90's, if you didnt have at least 2 12" subs in your car back then something was wrong with you. I eventually grew tired of rolling balls of blood/wax out of my ears every time I went to class in college and sold the truck.

T

hapy._.face
05-03-2006, 05:18 PM
MTX's new 22" auto subwoofer:

http://12.105.186.200/imgServer/news/img/JackHammernews.jpg

...if only they would have put a 40 ounce malt liquor bottle in the picture for perspective. Stupid.

A guy works his ass off doing manual labor, every day of his life, until he finally reaches retirement at a very broken down 68 years old. All he wants to do before he dies is sit on his porch and read the newspaper in the morning in peace and listen to the birds sing. Simple pleasures.

Another guy (62 years old) was a Vietnam Vet (medic) and he takes care of his disabled brother. He has no other living family members.

These are my neighbors Vernon and Glenn. Both of these guys are pure heart. Both have payed a tremendous debt to society.

Then say some a-hole cruises down our avenue with bass levels so high it makes the glass rattle in their houses- you think that's cool? A complete lack of respect for other people's personal space and property is cool? Perhaps you people come from homes where you weren't taught anything; Perhaps you are just inherently dense- so dense you need physical force to make you feel anything.

I'm 33 yrs old. I lived through the same generation as the lowriding wannabe's. When you play music that loud-especially when the lyrics are so offensive to the elderly and youth- it's a reflection on the state of "family" in this country. That's bad parenting. I was taught at a very early age to respect other people, their property, and personal space. It's pretty basic, really.

I time my "at home" listening with great care. I make sure my neighbors are out, and if they are not- I play at levels I know they cannot hear. It means I get less oppurtunity to play loud- but at least I'm not being jerk.

QwertyAccess
05-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I time my "at home" listening with great care. I make sure my neighbors are out, and if they are not- I play at levels I know they cannot hear. It means I get less oppurtunity to play loud- but at least I'm not being jerk.

I wasnt taught to respect others and not bother them etc, but thats exactly what i do :P, though one day i imagine i'll get a car with some serious woofers in them, i dont plan to play them loud though, but i will turn it up if some kiddy decides to park right next to me with their boomers up on full.

hapy._.face
05-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I wasnt taught to respect others and not bother them etc, but thats exactly what i do :P, though one day i imagine i'll get a car with some serious woofers in them, i dont plan to play them loud though, but i will turn it up if some kiddy decides to park right next to me with their boomers up on full.

Now see!? That's cool. Play it loud all you want- just respect others. Ahhhh.... some people do get it. Thanks for restoring my (2 min temporary) faith in humanity. :applaud:

Maron Horonzakz
05-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Dont get mad at the little brats boomin all night. That happened to me next door, I just let them play. The next morning I placed my speakers nexted to there bed room window & cranked up MOZART.:D

duffdog
05-05-2006, 08:12 AM
MTX's new 22" auto subwoofer:

http://12.105.186.200/imgServer/news/img/JackHammernews.jpg

...if only they would have put a 40 ounce malt liquor bottle in the picture for perspective. Stupid.

A guy works his ass off doing manual labor, every day of his life, until he finally reaches retirement at a very broken down 68 years old. All he wants to do before he dies is sit on his porch and read the newspaper in the morning in peace and listen to the birds sing. Simple pleasures.

Another guy (62 years old) was a Vietnam Vet (medic) and he takes care of his disabled brother. He has no other living family members.

These are my neighbors Vernon and Glenn. Both of these guys are pure heart. Both have payed a tremendous debt to society.

Then say some a-hole cruises down our avenue with bass levels so high it makes the glass rattle in their houses- you think that's cool? A complete lack of respect for other people's personal space and property is cool? Perhaps you people come from homes where you weren't taught anything; Perhaps you are just inherently dense- so dense you need physical force to make you feel anything.

I'm 33 yrs old. I lived through the same generation as the lowriding wannabe's. When you play music that loud-especially when the lyrics are so offensive to the elderly and youth- it's a reflection on the state of "family" in this country. That's bad parenting. I was taught at a very early age to respect other people, their property, and personal space. It's pretty basic, really.

Ill tell you whats not cool-- people who own harleys and decide that everyone should listen to them. I just love it when they decide that they can make noise by law, but people with stereos cannot. Great, you did manual labor all your life and now you ride a harley and feel great being loud at stoplights and having everyone look at you. Well, guess what I'm going to be loud too, except that I will be louder than you and even more annoying just because I can. I don't know if your particular nieghbors are into loud annoying motorcycles, but mine are and they can die of cancer for all I care. One day when they really piss me off, I am going to set up my touring system outside and play the most annoying degrading and disrespectful rap music I can find as loud as I can and then leave my house while they suffer from Mike Jones at 140Db. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet :)

T

Oldmics
05-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Myself as a sound guy with a small investment in equipment ;) ,would you elaborate on your "touring system".

Consoles,amps and quanity,speaker processers,speakers?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Oldmics

boputnam
05-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Inquiring minds want to know.Gearhead!! :bash:

:rotfl:

edgewound
05-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Ill tell you whats not cool-- people who own harleys and decide that everyone should listen to them. I just love it when they decide that they can make noise by law, but people with stereos cannot. Great, you did manual labor all your life and now you ride a harley and feel great being loud at stoplights and having everyone look at you. Well, guess what I'm going to be loud too, except that I will be louder than you and even more annoying just because I can. I don't know if your particular nieghbors are into loud annoying motorcycles, but mine are and they can die of cancer for all I care. One day when they really piss me off, I am going to set up my touring system outside and play the most annoying degrading and disrespectful rap music I can find as loud as I can and then leave my house while they suffer from Mike Jones at 140Db. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet :)

T

This rant is what's known as complete mutual disrepect for your fellow man. It's sad to see that is what this country...er....world has come to...everyone is raging at everyone else in a generational decline of discipline...and then respect. You can thank the legal system and spineless parents who don't give a damn about what their kids are doing. Going to the movies and see the freak show of elementary school-age kids congregating in the parking lot with no parents around...they just drop them off, gansta garb, goth make-up and clothing...smoking...has gotten scary ridiculous. Are my kids there? Hell no.:biting: Was I there at that age? Hell no...my parents were better than that...and so were my friends parents.

duffdog
05-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Myself as a sound guy with a small investment in equipment ;) ,would you elaborate on your "touring system".

Oldmics

K, well if you must know-- I don't own a console. I do, but its not an XL4 or anything, I specialize in raves (they pay much better)

currently I tour with:

8 JBL 4719x
8 JBL 4735x
4 racks, each with 2 crown k2's, 1 MA2402, 1 DR260, 40A distro:bouncy:

the rest of the cabs don't go with me in the trailer, they don't make me too much money-- theres some servodrive BT7's, some eaw stuff... yamaha tops, etc. I really don't feel like going through my whole inventory as that would take a while.

T

Rusnzha
05-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally written by duffdog

ll tell you whats not cool-- people who own harleys and decide that everyone should listen to them. I just love it when they decide that they can make noise by law, but people with stereos cannot. Great, you did manual labor all your life and now you ride a harley and feel great being loud at stoplights and having everyone look at you. Well, guess what I'm going to be loud too, except that I will be louder than you and even more annoying just because I can. I don't know if your particular nieghbors are into loud annoying motorcycles, but mine are and they can die of cancer for all I care. One day when they really piss me off, I am going to set up my touring system outside and play the most annoying degrading and disrespectful rap music I can find as loud as I can and then leave my house while they suffer from Mike Jones at 140Db. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet :)

Hey Dood -- Bloody earwax and breaking balls ain't what JBL is about. It's about "how good music can make you feel" (Originally written by Chad). I had a situation once that was causing me major problems. My upstairs neighbors were generating a hum all night long in my bedroom that sounded like an open A string on a cheap guitar. Only, it didn't decay, this shit was constant. It was impossible for me to sleep with this noise pollution. A friend suggested I retaliate with my 300W/channel L112s as a weapon. I didn't do it, I found a better way to target the assholes who were causing me this problem. Since they lived above me in an apartment building, I hotwired their buzzer and rang it from my apartment at 3 AM for about an hour. It was easy since their bell wires ran right past my intercom box. I unscrewed the intercom panel and figured out which wire was their's and I turned on their buzzer like they had a visitor who wanted in. After 3 days of this, the problem went away. They will never know how I did it. I saved my JBLs for better things and I didn't piss off a bunch of innocent people.

Oldmics
05-06-2006, 07:09 AM
"After all, my PA system has 120,000 watts and can entertain people for miles. "

Request to duffdog from me (Oldmics) in a previous post.

Can"t Re Member

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/image.php?u=24&dateline=1053063833 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=24)

Hey duffdog

OldmicsNow just doing the arithmetic there seems to be a small difference in total availiable amplifier power in the amps used by duffdog.

I calculate about 27KW (generously) against duffdogs stated 120 KW.

Now being the open minded kinda guy I am,and in all fairness duffdog I"ll request him to recant his claims before running up the :bs: alert.

Links to specs are below for those wishing to see the facts.

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/maspec_1.htm

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/k.htm

I think we all get his picture.

Now,I will add that "touring systems" do have consoles.Usually pretty good sized ones.

I suggest to duffdog that he rephrase his rig as a playback system adequate enough for small raves.Oh and try to be accurate about the power scheme.

Oldmics-Owns an XL-4 (non automated)
" a 4K
" multiple touring concert systems,including trucks to move them.
And much more!

hapy._.face
05-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi Oldmics,

One only needs to look at your avatar to know you're for real. Not to mention I've actually seen some of your toys- far out!! :D ...so when do cut the grand opening tape on your new museum? :p

yer bud,
Travis

Rudy Kleimann
05-06-2006, 10:37 AM

I'm with you all the way on this- it IS a reflection of the state of "Family". Or more accurately, the lack of it IMHO.

I just turned 45. In High School, I was one of the first kids to have a "real" car stereo: a Fosgate "The Punch" 100 watt amp. Loud. Clean. Destroyed Pioneer 6x9's every few months. Graduated to 12" Cerwin-Vega's robbed from home speakers when NOBODY had anything like that. Cut the back deck out of my car, built a serious ported cabinet, the whole bit. I used to amuse myself at the red light rattling others' mirrors with my windows up and watching people look around.

The first time I pulled into my parents' driveway with that thing turned up, my Dad met me at the door and gave me a good ass-eatin'.:spchless: He commanded respect when I was disrespectful, and made me realize that there are a lot of people on this earth besides me that are affected by what I do -good or bad.

This nasty shit the kids think is so cool now is a strong sign of the lack of respect that pervades our society. It starts at home, with parents teaching (or not) the kids respect, and nurturing self-respect in the kids too. And playing it at such high levels with the windows down is like broadcasting an attitude. A bad one at that. It has become a childs' anthem... and I don't like the message I hear. It's not the way my Family raised us, and not the way we raise our Families. Same goes for the friends we have -then and now.

Just my opinion.

Rudy Kleimann
05-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Dont get mad at the little brats boomin all night. That happened to me next door, I just let them play. The next morning I placed my speakers nexted to there bed room window & cranked up MOZART.:D

That'll teach 'em.
Just make sure they understand your message. Sometimes you gotta spell it out to them. Kids are kids, and it's the adults' job to teach 'em right from wrong.

Ok, I feel better now;)

Rudy Kleimann
05-06-2006, 10:44 AM
This rant is what's known as complete mutual disrepect for your fellow man. It's sad to see that is what this country...er....world has come to...everyone is raging at everyone else in a generational decline of discipline...and then respect. You can thank the legal system and spineless parents who don't give a damn about what their kids are doing. Going to the movies and see the freak show of elementary school-age kids congregating in the parking lot with no parents around...they just drop them off, gansta garb, goth make-up and clothing...smoking...has gotten scary ridiculous. Are my kids there? Hell no.:biting: Was I there at that age? Hell no...my parents were better than that...and so were my friends parents.

You hit the nail on the head, edge!

duffdog
05-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Request to duffdog from me (Oldmics) in a previous post.

Can"t Re Member

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/image.php?u=24&dateline=1053063833

Now just doing the arithmetic there seems to be a small difference in total availiable amplifier power in the amps used by duffdog.

I calculate about 27KW (generously) against duffdogs stated 120 KW.

Now being the open minded kinda guy I am,and in all fairness duffdog I"ll request him to recant his claims before running up the :bs: alert.

Links to specs are below for those wishing to see the facts.

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/maspec_1.htm

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/k.htm

I think we all get his picture.

Now,I will add that "touring systems" do have consoles.Usually pretty good sized ones.

I suggest to duffdog that he rephrase his rig as a playback system adequate enough for small raves.Oh and try to be accurate about the power scheme.

Oldmics-Owns an XL-4 (non automated)
" a 4K
" multiple touring concert systems,including trucks to move them.
And much more!

Hi there-- I have many more amps than that. Those 4 racks are just what I truck around doing parties and raves. In fact, I have 7 foot server rack full of amps I do not even use. SO, while I dont USE all 120Kw, I own that much power (not that I have ever needed to plug all those amps in). I count 12 unused crown amps alone which I don't use. But um.... 8 k2 amplifiers and 4 MA2402 amps are indeed 27kw, whats your point? I see, so touring with a system that is for "playback" means it is supposed to have the name "playback system"? That seems kind of dumb.

T