PDA

View Full Version : Fool me once...ePay !

ironman
01-26-2006, 09:02 AM
I just "won" and auction for a pair of speaker stands for my L-112's (want to get them off the floor). The item ended with
$ 4.00 US dollars. Now I know folks need to make a profit but I was stunned to get a total of $44.00 - $40.00 shipping from LV Nev. ! The L-112's themselves cost, I believe, $70.00 for both - from LA ! this is the response I got from seller:

As the auction says, “Terms: Winning bidder pays shipping and handling for 20 pounds based on destination zip code.” Las vegas to NY is the farthest shipping zone for the USPS, it will be the same for LA. This is shipped Priority mail for which the USPS quotes 2-3 days delivery. If you would like parcel post, which will take at least 10 days, it will be $29.25. Your choice. Hope this helps.

I've bought and sold on ePay since the late 90's and never, ever once felt that I had been "burned" until now. Anyone else have this experiance ? In hind sight I should have enquired about shipping before bidding (amount was not stated in auction). Buyer beware - to protect my well earned 100% positive feedback I guess I'll have to pony- up. I am not happy.:biting:

hapy._.face
01-26-2006, 09:13 AM
That sucks! I recently sold an amp on eBay. I live in MD and sent it to TN. The cost (Fed Ex): $23.00 The weight: 43lbs.

You're getting screwed alright. Unfortunately, there's no way to get out of this one (without taking a hit). Here's food for thought:
Everyone knows about sniping (last second bidding). But I've mastered the art of snipe feedback. In a given transaction- the two parties are allotted a certain amount of time to view the transaction details and post appropriate feedback for one another before it expires (caches out of eBay). Time it right- and you can nail this guy with neg feedback (very appropriate) and he won't have time to retaliate. :D

One dirty deed deserves another, and this seller deserves neg feedback.

I think that's the best you can do at this point (to preserve your 100% feedback)...

ironman
01-26-2006, 09:18 AM
I just wrote back seller before reading your post. I offered "you keep the stands, I'll send you $10.00 through paypal, you can relist them and hopefully make more $ from the sale BUT, no neg. feedback on either end". I'd rather give up the $10.00 and be done with it, lesson learned. I will remember the feedback "snipe" trick though ! There ought to be a law...

ironman
01-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Also, I have to head out to work now so I can't post the results of my "offer" until late tonight. What is the timing
for the feedback "snipe" as I did say I would follow through,
as I am a man of my word, if not acceptable to seller. However, I did not mention/promise anything with the "feedback" if I have to follow through with the rip-off. Thanks for any tips you can offer as I do want to nail this bum to the cross...:bouncy:

hapy._.face
01-26-2006, 09:25 AM
I just wrote back seller before reading your post. I offered "you keep the stands, I'll send you $10.00 through paypal, you can relist them and hopefully make more $ from the sale BUT, no neg. feedback on either end". I'd rather give up the $10.00 and be done with it, lesson learned. I will remember the feedback "snipe" trick though ! There ought to be a law...

I've done that one, too. But you are still at risk. He's obviously untrustworthy and your request requires some trust. He could still post neg feedback calling you a deadbeat bidder or even file a nonpayment alert on you- all after pocketing your donation of $10. I don't think anyone would be so dirty as to go this low- but I'm constantly surprised! I would make the $10 conditional. I would post your $10 payment through paypal via check. This takes a few days to clear. Tell him "..so long as you post positive feedback for me in the time it takes to clear, I will be sure to let the payment finalize. No positive feedback for me- and I will cancel the payment. Cool?" That's one way to put yourself in control of the situation. There are ways...

These bastard sellers need to know the consumer is STILL always right. Even in today's jacked up world- I still faithfully hold up this ideal. Good luck!

ironman
01-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Here is the reply to my offer:

"Thanks for your offer and that sounds fine."

hapy._.face
01-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Ahh- that's good. He knows he's a bastard...lol. I hope it works out. :applaud:

mech986
01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
http://postcalc.usps.gov/speed.asp?Country=Domestic&CountryIndex=1&MT=2&M=0&P=20&O=0&OZ=89101&DZ=10003&origin=default

The link above is the result of an inquiry to the USPS for postage calculations for a 20 pound package (regular, not large) sent from Las Vegas (89101 nominal zipcode) to New York City (10003 nominal zip code).

You can see the seller is quoting the USPS postage for Priority or Parcel post pretty accurately. Add about $1.5 to $2.50 for packing/handling and he's dead on in terms of cost.

You did not post a link to your auction win but I'd assume the speaker stands are made of either wood or metal and are sturdy enough to hold your L112's and get them at least 6-12 inches off the ground. That would make each stand at least 7-9 pounds each in terms of mass weight. Add the packaging and the 20 pound package weight overall is not unreasonable.

You could counteroffer differently by getting the seller's zipcode and then check UPS / Fedex ground / your other choice of shipper 's website for shipping costs and speed. Many time the costs can be lower than USPS - however, as many have found, sometimes the shipper's ability to handle packages without damage has been an issue. I have had most of my best luck with FedEx Ground, then USPS, and then UPS. DHL/Airborne has also been good but most of those shipments are for small or light objects (except my Dell laptop which I just sent in for service :banghead: ). You could then see if the seller is willing to ship by other less expensive means if available.

A gentle reminder as you pointed out: It is important for the buyer to check or inquire about shipping methods, weight, and charges. That is your responsibilty if you need clarification. Just because the cost of the item was low doesn't mean you get a low shipping cost.

Example: I just won an auction for a pair of Rogers Monitor 2 speakers located in Portland Oregon(item 5853397958). These are very similar 2 cu. ft. speakers to the famous Spendor BC-1's. I got them for a fantastic price of under $25. But I also knew that because of their weight (about 35-40 pounds each), the shipping was going to be a lot (stated in the auction to be about $72 via UPS ground by a shipping calculator and confirmed by an email inquiry). I put in a bid of $105 dollars because I factored in the shipping in my total - I'd be about $200 into these speakers and that was what I was willing to spend to get them. Since I won at a much lower price, I was happy to get the speakers for about $100 total - Even with the shipping technically at 3x the winning price!

I personally would not send this guy a negative unless you feel he is misrepresenting the weight of the items or is somehow padding the shipping costs with unstated charges. If the information you gave about the ship/destination cities is accurate, the USPS charges are as he has stated +/- about 5%. I know you are/were shocked and unprepared for the shipping quote as given to you but you are responsible to know or understand that going in before your bid as part of the process. I believe you should be fair with feedback to the seller as hopefully he would be to you if you decide to nullify the deal.

BTW, how much did it cost to ship the L-112's from LA?

All of the above is my 0.02. I mean none of it to offend but to inform. I also have a 429 count/100% feedback and appreciate your efforts to keep yours 100% as well. Your offer to pay the total and have him keep the stands because you found the shipping higher than you liked is a reasonable compromise. If you find my arguments compelling, its still your call to decide what you will do. Good luck and I hope you find the right stands to get the L112's off the ground. Let us know what effect it has for the sound.

Regards,

Bart

norealtalent
01-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I agree with Bart. I don't think the quote is that far off. Priority Mail is expensive. As far as last minute feedback, watch out it doesn't bite you in the ass. Usually feedback can still be accessed directly from the auction page even after the auction is no longer available from my ebay or the feedback forum. This can last up to several days. All you need is the auction #. FYI :)

hapy._.face
01-26-2006, 04:11 PM
As far as last minute feedback, watch out it doesn't bite you in the ass.

That's part of the problem on eBay- the feedback is in NO way an accurate representation of the buyers'/sellers' business conduct. This is because everyone is frightened to receive the dreaded (unwarranted) retaliate feedback that comes with giving someone a failing grade. A poor transaction that can be directly related to the user (and not other circumstances) should get negative. It's a civic duty to let others know when you had a bad experience. I think people are pretty smart, and if a person doesn't have 100% pos feedback- it doesn't necessarily mean you don't do biz with em. Part of the fun is scrolling through peoples' selling/buying history and finding out why the negative was posted and seeing the other user's neg and/or response. You can usually figure out who's really at fault.

Feedback sniping is legit. The "my eBay" page caches quicker, certainly. BUT- items have a definitive lifespan in eBay's master cache- and that's what you are timing. I think it's exactly 90 days.

If that postage rate is legit- my apologies; Albeit it's an absolutely ABSURD amount. It stands to reason why I use FedEx for larger packages.

I'm nearing the 1200 transactions mark on eBay. I make a full time living buying and selling. eBay is a good part of that living. I guess my feelings have grown jaded over time. I remember when my feedback was at 490 all +. Then I get hit with a negative I didn't deserve. I was so pi$$ed!! Heartbroken to get a neg before breaking 500- I started another user ID and got to 300. Then BOOM 2 negs in one week. . Now I'm at almost 400 all +. Perhaps when I get to 500 again- I will merge all my feedback together for a total of 1200 (3 negs). Not bad when you consider I sell used items. I use a completely different user ID for any buying I do- so that means I'm well over 1200 by now.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious though- that the seller may be a perfectly honest one; I sometimes think I'm the only guy on eBay that gives a crap about keeping my buyers happy- but there are many others. I need to remember that. :p

duaneage
01-26-2006, 05:57 PM
If I see no shipping cost stated and / or contact seller for details I send a single message inquiring about shipping costs to my zip ( and even ask for what service I prefer, rather than theirs) and then bid. Someone who insists on using UPS when USPS is usually cheaper (especially for small items) gets a message requesting USPS. By running through eBays message system you keep them on their toes since their responses are considered binding when trouble arises.

I would take the stands at that 44 dollar price, not bad overall for those items, it would cost you 30 to make and stain them yourself out of nice hardwood peices plus your time.

jim3860
01-26-2006, 07:37 PM
I just "won" and auction for a pair of speaker stands for my L-112's (want to get them off the floor). The item ended with
$ 4.00 US dollars. Now I know folks need to make a profit but I was stunned to get a total of $44.00 - $40.00 shipping from LV Nev. ! The L-112's themselves cost, I believe, $70.00 for both - from LA ! this is the response I got from seller:

As the auction says, “Terms: Winning bidder pays shipping and handling for 20 pounds based on destination zip code.” Las vegas to NY is the farthest shipping zone for the USPS, it will be the same for LA. This is shipped Priority mail for which the USPS quotes 2-3 days delivery. If you would like parcel post, which will take at least 10 days, it will be $29.25. Your choice. Hope this helps.

I've bought and sold on ePay since the late 90's and never, ever once felt that I had been "burned" until now. Anyone else have this experiance ? In hind sight I should have enquired about shipping before bidding (amount was not stated in auction). Buyer beware - to protect my well earned 100% positive feedback I guess I'll have to pony- up. I am not happy.:biting: Yes I understand I pay out the nose for shipping myself. Living where i do, Fairbanks Alaska. I just checked 20lbs from las vegas to here priority mail was 38.35 without packing materials. ups or fedex really rape me given the oppurtunity. I bought a pair of L100ts a year or so ago for $300.00 it cost me $350.00 to ship ups ground and took 8 days to arrive. even more now with the increase in rates due to fuel increases:( over $500.00 now to ship a pair of L7s from the same place now. I have to really bargain shop, or i take it in the shorts:)

duaneage
01-26-2006, 07:47 PM
But Jim3860, you have all that Oil, caribou, and 24 hours of daylight (in the summer at least)

jim3860
01-26-2006, 08:04 PM
But Jim3860, you have all that Oil, caribou, and 24 hours of daylight (in the summer at least) HAHA yes and now 24hrs of darkness. I woke up this morning at 7:00 am it was dark -53 below farenheight. got off work at 4:30 pm it was dark. had warmed up to -43 though :) and i actually seen a glimmer of sun through the ice fog at lunch:rotfl: But ya know I still think that this is the greatest place on earth to live. lots of positives to go with the few negatives:applaud:

ironman
01-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Lesson learned. I checked the shipping real quick on a dozen or so auctions for the similar stands (ePay has 100's) all to be shipped from the LA area or "out west" and, if I remember from this morning correctly, the range was in the $7.00 to $10.00 range. No matter, as I said, I'm a man of my word and I did say "no neg. feedback" and that is what I will stick to. I did find the "snipe"/ feedback post interesting and I wanted to know more about it. I tried to make that clear in my f/u post (thats "follow up") that I would keep my word.
Without going though a lot of bother here to be exact, I do believe my L-112's were shipped from LA in the $70.00 range w/o a hitch. I should have asked, I didn't and it cost me $10.00 for the lesson - got off cheap IMHO. Now I'm off to paypal the $10.00 (2 hours late - stuck at work) lest she thinks I'm a "deadbeat". Thanks for all the input though!:applaud:

Steve Schell
01-26-2006, 10:56 PM
There have been a couple of instances where I got upset about shipping charges and asked questions, but later found out that the seller was quoting legit rates. I apologized for getting uppity and all was well. Then there was the time a seller stated "USPS Priority Mail shipping only" on a 65lb. RCA U.S. Navy speaker that a friend bought and had shipped to my house. When the shipping quote came in at something like $130, I wrote the seller and asked if he could send it parcel post, for more like $45. He said "Sure, no problem, and everything worked out.

Most sellers are decent; it's the ones that quote high flat rates to anywhere in the U.S. that you have to watch out for.

glen
01-28-2006, 12:41 AM
I've gotten surprised a couple of times with shipping prices from ebay purchases.
My first ebay speakers, 4311Bs, were $60. The seller was surprised too and split the cost with me.

Later I won the auction for a pair of L88novas that I got at a good price.
I was a bit more prepared until I realized they were in Hawaii. $80, ouch!

Now I factor shipping into the price and look for "local pick-up", even then I always ask if there are any charges besides the auction price if I do pick them up myself. I don't bid until I get an answer, sometimes local sellers don't want to deal with people picking up in person.

If it's not stated in black and white in the auction I always ask.

duaneage
01-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah buyer beware on shipping or don't be a buyer. I just bought a
Yamaha KX 1200 cassette deck from Hawaii. It cost 28 dollars to ship it but I knew that going in. I kept my eye on that as I bid and the total with everything was 137 dollars. Not bad for that unit in good shape. Trouble is it is going to take 4 weeks or more to get here but I am in no hurry. The guy actually underestimated shipping costs and it cost him 32 and change.

I have lost money on shipping things to people before but considering I paid nothing for some of the items I could care less

jim campbell
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I just got dinged like that,$17.95 shipping on a $.99 item.thanx for the tip on the feedback snipe, I hope its not too late.