PDA

View Full Version : Had a visitor today

Ken Pachkowsky
01-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Edgewound (Ken) dropped in this afternoon and we spent several hours listening to some great tunes. Get this, he walked in with over 75-100 cd's (just in case he mumbled). I thought he was moving in!

He brought some great jazz CD's that I had not heard and I was burnin copies like a mad man. I enjoyed his company and agreed it was unfortunate we had not met sooner. He did make me feel pretty good when he stated the HR1's sounded better than the custom system we had listened to at Westlake last week. Course he may have said that just to get that last piece of Pizza?

Here is a photo of Ken at Ken's.

I enjoyed it Ken

kingjames
01-25-2006, 11:32 PM
I see you made him take his shoes off too!:p

Titanium Dome
01-26-2006, 12:11 AM

That happens all the time in CA. When I lived in OH, IN, and MI, I usually wore my shoes inside, virtually all the time. So did everyone else. Occasionally, someone would install white carpet and make everyone take their shoes off, but it was somewhat uncomfortable for me.

Same in chicago.

But here in SoCal, I hardly ever wear shoes inside anymore, and when I do I feel awkward, like I'm being impolite. Now when I return to Chicago or Kalamazoo or Toledo, I automatically take my shoes off as soon as I enter someone's house. Some people get a little weirded out by it. :dont-know

When I drove to Ken's to see and hear the Westies, I would have taken my shoes off in any case, as I felt like I entered a shrine. Thankfully, when I started to take off my shirt and pants, he said it wasn't necessary.

kingjames
01-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Ti Dome... I do love your sense of humor:p :p :p :p

Titanium Dome
01-26-2006, 12:15 AM
At one point, Ken, you got a pair of L300s which since went to a forum member I believe. Your plan was to use them for the duration of your stay here, while the Westlakes got packed away in preparation for the move.

Obviously the Westlakes are sitting where I last saw them and the L300s are gone. Was it just to hard too live without the Westlakes on a daily basis?

Ken Pachkowsky
01-26-2006, 12:16 AM
as I felt like I entered a shrine. Thankfully, when I started to take off my shirt and pants, he said it wasn't necessary.

You missed your calling funny man...:)

Ken Pachkowsky
01-26-2006, 12:17 AM
At one point, Ken, you got a pair of L300s which since went to a forum member I believe. Your plan was to use them for the duration of your stay here, while the Westlakes got packed away in preparation for the move.

Obviously the Westlakes are sitting where I last saw them and the L300s are gone. Was it just to hard too live without the Westlakes on a daily basis?

Well, you hit the nail on the head...

4313B
01-26-2006, 05:58 AM
I was burnin copies like a mad man.I thought that was illegal.

Oh wait, you're just doing off-site backups for him. Carry on.

norealtalent
01-26-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm really not sure about the handsome gent, he could be an imposter, but the TAD preamp looks sweet. I hear it sounds pretty good too...:D

Ken Pachkowsky
01-26-2006, 08:02 AM
I thought that was illegal.

Oh wait, you're just doing off-site backups for him. Carry on.

Your a perceptive fellow Mr. G, as a matter of fact that's exactly what I was doing.:)

edgewound
01-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Edgewound (Ken) dropped in this afternoon and we spent several hours listening to some great tunes. Get this, he walked in with over 75-100 cd's (just in case he mumbled). I thought he was moving in!

He brought some great jazz CD's that I had not heard and I was burnin copies like a mad man. I enjoyed his company and agreed it was unfortunate we had not met sooner. He did make me feel pretty good when he stated the HR1's sounded better than the custom system we had listened to at Westlake last week. Course he may have said that just to get that last piece of Pizza?

I enjoyed it Ken

Well...where do I start? I left Ken and Julie's with both a full heart and a full stomach. After a few hours at this fine couples' home had past I felt I was wearing out my welcome...I was becoming "The Thing that Wouldn't Leave"...but Ken assured me that was not the case, then Julie suggested I join them for order-in pizza...that's what friends do. Yes....friends. We listened to music and watched concert DVD's for hours. I felt 20 years younger...energized from the therapy of listening to great music on a first rate playback system, and sharing the comeraderie of a new friend with a common interest. Briefly...because I could go on and on...It's a crime that these wonderful people are being forced to leave the country. This is the kind people the USA should embrace. Like Ken said...I wish we had met sooner...I already feel like we are old pals. No "old' jokes please.

Ok...Ken's HR-1 system. JBL systems are like an Indy car...Powerful...Fast. Westlake systems are like a Formula one car....Quicker...More refined. The same parts, tuned and tweaked to get the last drop of potential out in the open. They are unmerciful to less-than-stellar recordings. They put the magic spotlight on exposing great recordings. Doesn't matter if it was recorded yesterday or 50 years ago...this is what fine studio monitors do. They make you critical without you even knowing it. If more gear was used like this in the home and consumers were less accepting of mediocrity, you can bet the recording industry would be pressured to go back and cultivate more talent like it used to. Both on the technical side and the artistic side. There is no substitute for quality...quality can't hide when it walks into the room....you're simply drawn to it (insert metaphor).

My day was truly memorable. The generous hospitality from Ken and Julie...the great music we shared...the smell of freshly burned binary...the fun stories told...it's a small world after all...and the connections with new, long lost friends....and that Diana Krall DVD...wow.

We'll keep in touch.

Thanks Ken....Thanks Julie...
:)

Ken Pachkowsky
01-26-2006, 12:09 PM
It's a crime that these wonderful people are being forced to leave the country. This is the kind people the USA should embrace.

Ok...Ken's HR-1 system. JBL systems are like an Indy car...Powerful...Fast. Westlake systems are like a Formula one car....Quicker...More refined. The same parts, tuned and tweaked to get the last drop of potential out in the open.
We'll keep in touch.

Thanks Ken....Thanks Julie...

First, your more than welcome. I only wished more members would have come to visit when invited.

Wow, I don't want to sound corny but that was a very nice thing to say. Why don't you apply for work at US Immigration?:)

Re the system, a very accurate analogy that I hope does not offend our fellow JBL owners. After all without JBL, I doubt companies like Westlake and TAD would exist.

Who knows Ken, maybe we will end up back here some time down the road.

Good Luck and we will keep in touch.

PS: I was not kidding about the shotgun.

Ken

edgewound
01-26-2006, 03:46 PM
... but the TAD preamp looks sweet. I hear it sounds pretty good too...:D

That TAD pre-amp...how sweet it is. Silky smooth....and those seductively glowing little filaments gazing at you with warm thoughts through those big brown eyes....ooooohhhh...a mutual turn-on....yyeeeaaahhh baby.

edgewound
01-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Comparing their carpet's condition with mine, we may start doing the same thing at my house...probably too late though.:o: Ken didn't did make me....it just seemed like the right thing to do....but I did stop at my shoes:p

Magnet3
01-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm really not sure about the handsome gent, he could be an imposter, but the TAD preamp looks sweet. I hear it sounds pretty good too...http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

He's an imposter I say

Magnet3
01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
First, your more than welcome. I only wished more members would have come to visit when invited.

Wow, I don't want to sound corny but that was a very nice thing to say. Why don't you apply for work at US Immigration?http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Re the system, a very accurate analogy that I hope does not offend our fellow JBL owners. After all without JBL, I doubt companies like Westlake and TAD would exist.

Who knows Ken, maybe we will end up back here some time down the road.

Good Luck and we will keep in touch.

PS: I was not kidding about the shotgun.

Ken

The shotgun comment sounds interesting

edgewound
01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
He's an imposter I say

How would you know,:hmm: ?

Ken Pachkowsky
01-26-2006, 04:40 PM
That TAD pre-amp...how sweet it is. Silky smooth....

Well we do have another forum member who just bought one so let’s see what he has to say.

I have been sharing my excitement about the merits of this pre for over a year and received a fair bit of flack for my trouble (so we won't do that any more). I would never have brought it up again unless you had. For the cost ($700 Signature Version) used, it smokes anything else I have owned by leaps and bounds. It also has a tube MM and MC input stage for the record spinners. Warning, get the Signature version. I hear the upgrades make quite a difference.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
01-26-2006, 04:45 PM
The shotgun comment sounds interesting

Not only is his "wife to be" drop dead gorgeous, so are his soon to be daughters.

I would suggest a semi automatic version with a good supply of ammo. She gives Bo's lovely bride a run for the money!

Both are damned near as good lookin as Julie!

:) Ken

edgewound
01-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Not only is his "wife to be" drop dead gorgeous, so are his soon to be daughters.

I would suggest a semi automatic version with a good supply of ammo. She gives Bo's lovely bride a run for the money!

Both are damned near as good lookin as Julie!

:) Ken

I have the phrase,"Say hello to my little friend" down pat...as I'm sure you do too.

Magnet3
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM

I enjoyed it Ken

Damn....you're good lookin' Edgewound!!

edgewound
03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Damn....you're good lookin' Edgewound!!

Awww...shucks ma'am....thank you:o: :). I bet you're better lookin'.

northwood
03-23-2006, 10:03 AM
lose a little weight,he'll look like James Bond more, handsome guy

boputnam
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I have the phrase,"Say hello to my little friend" down pat...as I'm sure you do too.Er, now THERE's some awkward syntax. I woulda guessed you a sorta "regular sized" guy, edgewound. And there's simply no sense sullying Ken Patchalphabet's reputation here, now come on! :D

edgewound
03-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Er, now THERE's some awkward syntax. I woulda guessed you a sorta "regular sized" guy, edgewound. And there's simply no sense sullying Ken Patchalphabet's reputation here, now come on! :D

Smartass....:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :crying: :rotfl:

edgewound
03-24-2006, 09:39 AM

:007: The name is Bond....James Bond....

:smsex: ...Oh, James...

Magnet3
03-24-2006, 11:46 AM

He's not overweight Northwood....it's the shirt....really...I should know ;)

Ian Mackenzie
03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Take him for a holiday down under darling....seen the adverts?

boputnam
03-24-2006, 01:48 PM
...it's the shirt....really...I should know ;)You, are intollerable!

Anyway, what is it - one of those waist wallets, or a true colastomy bag...?

edgewound
03-24-2006, 02:13 PM
You, are intollerable!

Anyway, what is it - one of those waist wallets, or a true colastomy bag...?

It's just my bag...I can't find pants big enough to hold 'em.;)

JBLnsince1959
03-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Take him for a holiday down under darling....

Well THAT could be taken several ways....:bouncy:

yeah..... have fun Down Under...:applaud:

northwood
03-25-2006, 04:32 AM
Yeah,you are right .

Ian Mackenzie
03-25-2006, 06:47 AM

Don't talk about shirts around here..I have a certain reputation for being the worst dressed member.:rotfl: :rotfl:

Ian Mackenzie
03-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Yeah Edge....would you like to go on a vacation down under? Someplace where you could drink the sweetest nectar you've ever tasted? ;) Now get that out of your minds guys, I'm sure they have delicious drinks in Australia.....:D

Purr....

Here is a nice link with photos of all over from down under.

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/au/photos

I have cousins in Cairns and they have a beautiful home just like the house on the Prairie and I can tell you they are wonderful hosts.

From there you have the Daintree, Cape Tribulation and the Whitesundays with gettaways like Daydream island. Imagine a nice sunken bar in a beautiful tropic resort. From there you might venture up to Kakadu National Park.

Nice place for a honeymoon!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
03-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Perhap we should start a seperate thread called holiday destinations in non audio discussions.

Magnet3
03-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Purr....

Here is a nice link with photos of all over from down under.

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/au/photos

I have cousins in Cairns and they have a beautiful home just like the house on the Prairie and I can tell you they are wonderful hosts.

From there you have the Daintree, Cape Tribulation and the Whitesundays with gettaways like Daydream island. Imagine a nice sunken bar in a beautiful tropic resort. From there you might venture up to Kakadu National Park.

Nice place for a honeymoon!

Ian

Beautiful....just beautiful! Honeymoon....hmmmmm? :hmm:

Ian Mackenzie
03-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Well...would you like all your dreams to come true..one..by one or what?

Enough California dreamin.....Just pop the question!

Seriously, you would love it. My sister did Kakadu with family last year. Asbolutely amazing pictures and experiences.

pentictonklaus
03-27-2006, 11:04 AM
while the Westlakes got packed away in preparation for the move.

Hi Ken! Welcome back to Canada ! To bad you did not move back to Penticton. I would love to use your expertise. I have to move my 4435's to Apex in the next weeks and was hoping for lots of manpower to help. Just kidding, the Jbl are lighter then the Westlakes, so us locals will manage.

But call when you come to the Okanagen.

Klaus

Ken Pachkowsky
03-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Ken! Welcome back to Canada !

But call when you come to the Okanagen.

Klaus

You can count on that. If you get over to the Island you have a standing invitation. Ok, I will let you sit.

Thanks for the message.