PDA

View Full Version : L112 questions

cplyons
01-25-2006, 12:51 PM
A month or two ago I couldn't even spell JBL and now look at me... I just found my third set, a REALLY NICE L112 pair from eBay. Woofers need surrounds and I planned to buy a kit from Rick Cobb and have at it... BUT although I've done a couple myself, I tend to be kinda sloppy, - since these are so fine I think I will let Austin Speaker Service use the real JBL kit and pay for the professional's touch.

OK, Two questions of these beauties:

1. What is the most likely cause of intermittant tweeter output? When I tested the speakers the left unit tweet tweeted just fine, but now it's a sometimes thing... I find that if I swat the side of the speaker I get a signal but it is twitchy and will drop out if the speaker is moved again. Rotating the Lpad or whatever you call the tweeter level control has no effect on this...

2. The grilles, which look to be in very good condition, are two different shades of color: What looks like brown and what looks like black. The literature doesn't show that black was even available for this model, right?

Thanks to all for the mountains of great info on this site, and about these speakers... they are great and will be greater!!

Chris L
Austin, Texas

Zilch
01-25-2006, 01:11 PM
I think I will let Austin Speaker Service use the real JBL kit and pay for the professional's touch.JBL does not supply surrounds, only complete cone kits. If you like Rick's surrounds, you might provide them to ASS for installation. Otherwise, they will be using another aftermarket type.

OK, Two questions of these beauties:

1. What is the most likely cause of intermittant tweeter output?If it's not the L-Pad, which it most frequently is, then you'll have to open it up and troubleshoot for an intermittant connection.

2. The grilles, which look to be in very good condition, are two different shades of color: JBL Monitor Blue grilles would look best, of course.... ;)

duaneage
01-29-2006, 09:00 PM
I would look at the spade terminals on the tweeter and on the crossover, they are probably loose. Could also be a bad capacitor but that is unlikely.