PDA

View Full Version : Could anyone please explain?

pangea
01-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Today I decided to replace the diaphragms of my 2441's and use the almost new Ti dias from the 2445's, to see if that might improve things, but after having replaced one of them (the left one), I decided to listen a bit to see if they sound any different and what I have heard thus far, is that the pinpoint focused sound stage is gone and that the sound has moved slightly to the right, which indicates some differences!!!
If anything, I would have thought the sound would move to the left towards the new diaphragm.

Does anyone think the characteristics of these dias could be so fundamentally different, to cause these effects?

Next, I will replace the other one as well and see if the balance is restored.

BR
Roland

pangea
01-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Now both diapragms are replaced and now the soundstage is back where it was before, but with a big improvement as well. Now it's as if a curtain has been removed and the music has a new airiness, which is so very nice and with the holographic sound stage and the pinpoint location of each instrument and singer it's nothing but amazing.

I should be heading for bed, but just have to listen to another record first...:D

BR
Roland

rek50
01-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Roland, it's good your effort makes you happy! My wild guess as to why the sound improved AFTER both were replaced is THE sound is dependent on both L and R "Pulling" their equal duty, like two oars in a row boat. If one is not as the other, in circles you go. :blink:

Zilch
01-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Could anyone please explain?

They are different. Enough so, perhaps, as to necessitate crossover re-optimization. You'll have to measure to determine that....

pangea
01-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Many thanks to both of you, it makes a lot of sence and today I will adjust the parameters and let the Behringer Ultracurve level the frequency response.

Again, many thanks.

BR
Roland

Titanium Dome
01-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Many thanks to both of you, it makes a lot of sence and today I will adjust the parameters and let the Behringer Ultracurve level the frequency response.

Again, many thanks.

BR
Roland

I know why you (and Widget) would do this, but be prepared for this process to remove some of the "air."

pangea
01-26-2006, 08:54 AM
I know why you (and Widget) would do this, but be prepared for this process to remove some of the "air."

After letting my Beringers do their stuff, I'm happy to say the airiness is still there. :applaud:

BR
Roland

Titanium Dome
01-26-2006, 11:14 AM
After letting my Beringers do their stuff, I'm happy to say the airiness is still there. :applaud:

BR
Roland

Great!

Jakob
01-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Hej Rolle!

Have You made a comparison with help from the berhinger to determine difference in output from the two different dia's (2441 and 2445). Could You see f.e if the 2441 has more or less output in the 800-1200hz range? I am really interested in what differences there is between these two dias.

Hälsningar: Jakob

pangea
01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Hej Rolle!

Have You made a comparison with help from the berhinger to determine difference in output from the two different dia's (2441 and 2445). Could You see f.e if the 2441 has more or less output in the 800-1200hz range? I am really interested in what differences there is between these two dias.

Hälsningar: Jakob

Hej Jakob!

No I'm sorry to say, I didn't do any measurements. Understandably, I was in a hurry to get the other one replaced as soon as possible as well.

But I imagine you're right about the higher output, both at the low end as well as above 6-7 kHz, i.e. the 2441 having a slightly more flat response. The fact that the 2445 dias are more extended above 16 kHz, doesn't do me much good any more I'm afraid, since my hearing is beginning to drop somewhat at 16 kHz. :(

The x-over point, is BTW 1000 Hz.

BR
Roland

boputnam
01-27-2006, 04:55 PM
I will ... let the Behringer Ultracurve level the frequency response.:banghead:

:dont-know

Rolf
01-27-2006, 05:10 PM
:banghead:

:dont-know

Your new avatar looks like a "robot" with plugs in the ears...Does it hurt to make pictures of yourself that way???????:D

Rolf

toddalin
01-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Your new avatar looks like a "robot" with plugs in the ears...Does it hurt to make pictures of yourself that way???????:D

Rolf

Come on..., don't you remember MMMMMMMMax Headroom?:blink:

boputnam
01-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Your new avatar looks like a "robot" with plugs in the ears...Does it hurt to make pictures of yourself that way???????:D :rotfl:

Dood - THAT is "Max Headroom". From a TV series of long ago here in the States.

I find the avatar persona suitably named for what we all strive for. Now, about your noise floor... :p

Out for now,

Max

Rolf
01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Come on..., don't you remember MMMMMMMMax Headroom?:blink:

I do...MMMMMMEEEELLLL GIB...or something...? e?:p

Rolf

Rolf
01-27-2006, 05:29 PM
:rotfl:

Dood - THAT is "Max Headroom". From a TV series of long ago here in the States.

I find the avatar persona suitably named for what we all strive for. Now, about your noise floor... :p

Out for now,

Max

I know, but I do not always remember... Anyway, heard about the old guy sitting in the park crying?

If you say "no" I tell you the rest...:D

Rolf

toddalin
01-27-2006, 05:30 PM
I do...MMMMMMEEEELLLL GIB...or something...? e?:p

Rolf

No, actually Max Headroom was played by Matt Frewer. He still appears regularly in stuff. BTW, I think the Max Headroom series was out of Britian.

Rolf
01-27-2006, 05:44 PM
No, actually Max Headroom was played by Matt Frewer. He still appears regularly in stuff. BTW, I think the Max Headroom series was out of Britian.

Of cource! My mind was thinking about MAD MAX! :banghead: Doo... Sorry.:o: BUT I do remember seeing Max Headroom somewhere. By the way, I believe I am old enough to remember. That is another thing I am sorry about.

Rolf

boputnam
01-27-2006, 05:55 PM
By the way, I believe I am old enough to remember. That is another thing I am sorry about.Shame, Rolf - I have great ones, even of lost friends, family. Experiences are what this is all about, and it comes in many forms. Anyway, enough two-bit philosophy from me!! :bouncy:

Now, what about the...

...old guy sitting in the park crying?:hmm: