PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha NS-1000, 1000x, 2000, 10000 hype

jblfreeek
01-22-2006, 11:52 AM
I wanted to ask forum members about these speakers.

As I mentioned to my Audio dealer friend my desire to get a 240ti for my room, he somehow strongly urged me to get Yamaha instead?! especially 1000x,2000 or 10000s for better bass.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Anthony L100
01-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi jblfreeeek, I once had a pair of NS 1000Ms, an excellent unit. I seem to remember them being likened to JBLs of that era, minus some coloration. I have to say that I prefered the JBL sound. I think the Yams would probably be classified as more the "east coast" sound. They are definately power hungry in comparison, also a difficult load to drive. I believe they used a berrilium tweeter. I am certain others here will have come across them. Hope this helps! I think I have a picture.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

andywin
01-22-2006, 03:40 PM
The Yamaha's are superb studio monitors but I've heard 3 setups using these and the only one that did'nt take the enamel off your teeth at 30 paces was driven by OTL valve amplifiers. Apparently these can handle the difficult load characteristics and give a little valve warmth to tone things down a bit.
Also beware that tweeters often blow and can and are hard to source replacements for.

ReEdger
01-22-2006, 05:47 PM
I am a JBL guy through and through. But, if you have a chance to buy a set of these Yamaha's, despite the alleged drawbacks pointed out here, by all means, consider them! Especially if they can be had for a decent price.
Don't thumb your nose to them just because they are not JBL. Lend them your ears instead, then decide. They are indeed excellent sounding speakers.
I replaced the foam surrounds on a pair of NS-2000's for a real nice guy awhile back, and while they were briefly in my possession, I gave them a whirl. I didn't want to give them back! :D

comet123
01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
I wanted to ask forum members about these speakers.

As I mentioned to my Audio dealer friend my desire to get a 240ti for my room, he somehow strongly urged me to get Yamaha instead?! especially 1000x,2000 or 10000s for better bass.

Anybody have any experience with these?

I had a pair of NS-1000 Yamaha's back in the 80's, I powered them with a phase linear 400 back in those days too. This setup sounded good but destroyed several midrange voice coils.

I finally hung it up and traded the yamahas in. If you buy them I would run the mid gain at the low end. Its seemed that the voice coils opened up during times when the gain was at max and I was playing LP's that came from Sheffield Labs.

I have tracked several Ebay sales for loose speakers too. I could only find used items. I never found NIB stuff. So be careful.

pelly3s
01-22-2006, 08:57 PM
parts are impossible to come by for those my friend has a pair of 1000x's and I believe a pair of crossovers, and tweets. I find them to be a little brittle in the high end although they image extremely well. Excellent low end and smooth mids. Not enough attitude in them for me although if i could get a mint pair for cheap i would do it in a second. The only HUGE downfall in my eyes is the cheap spring terminals they use on them

trueview
01-22-2006, 09:42 PM
here is a pair of the rare ns-2000's I have down in the garage awaiting some cosmetic surgery...
oh....they do sound pretty darn good too:D
stickers on woofers indicate refoams at Orange County Speaker

jblfreeek
01-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Thank you all for great replies!! :):)

I think I will try to get a NS-2000 and I will post how I find them compared to 240ti (which is otw).
I don't think it will be fair to compare it with 250ti Jubilee :p

jim3860
01-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Thank you all for great replies!! :):)

I think I will try to get a NS-2000 and I will post how I find them compared to 240ti (which is otw).
I don't think it will be fair to compare it with 250ti Jubilee :p I have had a pair of NS- 1000 speakers they were ok, but doesnt compare to the 240ti. not sure how they would compare bass wise with the ns-2000 and i dont care, if i want more bass i would buy a sub. the mids and highs will be better with the 240ti and parts are avaible for them. stick with jbl you cant go wrong imho:applaud: Maybe your dealer friend has a pair of yamhs for sale is why he is telling you that there better in the bass area:)

JonathanKeehn
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I bought a pair of Yamaha NS-1000m's in 1976 and still have them 30 years later. To my ear they are the best small monitor ever built. I have been running them with a 500-watt Bryston amp for years and have driven them quite a bit past their rated power handling capacity. I have blown tweeters a few times by sending the 500-watt amp into clipping. The bass and midrange have held well. I replaced a tweeter in 2000 for about $138.00 and have had to perform a voice coil-ectomy a few times by unwinding a turn of edgewound wire and soldering it to the teriminal. Other than that , they are bullet-proof. Try installing some tweeter protection if you are going to drive them hard - a tweeter protector from Parts Express or a filament bulb to act as a current absorber, like JBL does in some of it's newer crossover networks. I have had JBL S8R's and currently an L-300 to compare them to over the years and, except for the highest dynamic busts ,they compare well to the best speakers that you can buy. The beryllium diaphrams add a level of low level detail that is missing in most other system. The NS-1000-m is one of a very few speakers besides high-end Jbl units, that sounds like real live music, and not a speaker box. You might also look up the reviews at audioreview.com for further insights.

paragon
01-24-2006, 01:50 PM
My father has a pair of this NS 1000 Ebony speakers.
Well, i must say , these are some of the best "bookshelf" speakers i`ve ever heared.
This mid and high Beryllium drivers are some of the best. Bass is very dry down to 50 Hz. The best you can get in this size, very fine craftmanship (?), enclosure is also build to very high standard. To cheap at that time, i think.
No one couldn`t get this speakers in this early 80`s (include JBL).

Eckhard

Michael Smith
01-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Put an advert in the personals "New audio dealer friend wanted"
Stick with 240ti idea, you won't be sorry.
Regards
Michael

paragon
01-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I´ve never heared the 240 TI, but i think they could`nt get the NS 1000 in Mid- and Highrange at all. Bass is another question.
I compare this to my L 90 and professional equipment, and there is no question about. NS 1000 is better in mid and highs at home listening levels !
Yes, i`m a JBL Fan !!

Eckhard:applaud:

jblfreeek
03-12-2006, 06:37 PM
OMG!:jawdrop:
They are certainly popular in England!
Check this! (http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-NS-2000-Cult-Classics-Speakers-NS-1000M-NS-1000_W0QQitemZ5874892166QQcategoryZ112516QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Hmm, now I'm definitely looking forward to a comparaison with 240ti. :p

Don McRitchie
03-12-2006, 08:03 PM
The NS-1000 is one of my favorite bookshelf speakers. The beryllium mids and highs have amongst the best transient response of any drivers available. To my ears, they are the closest to an electrostat that I have heard in a dynamic driver, with exceptional detail and clarity.

It's not a perfect speaker - none is. The bass response is the Achilles heel. It certainly doesn't have the extension or impact of a JBL. Further, the system seems to be pretty widely acknowledged as having a bit of a bright balance that cab sound hard edged to some. Regardless, it is a very fine loudspeaker and was certainly a seminal design that has been widely copied, particularly in Japan.

JuniorJBL
03-13-2006, 12:42 AM
I really liked the NS 10's. Very small 2 way but they were wonderful near field spaekers. I did here the 1000's next to a pair of L100's and the NS 1000's had a really nice upper next to the L100's but the l100's had that "JBL BASS" :applaud:

chrisj
11-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Hello

I've been offered a pair of these, at a reasonable price. However, I've noticed what appears to be some damage to the mid range units. Having a look at a picture of the mid-range unit on the pair posted here earlier by Anthony L100 (on page one), it's the green dome shaped piece behind the black grille. The damage is best described as some cracking and flaking of the green material. Does anyone know what this is? or if it needs replacing, a scource of parts? I thought it just might be some sort of (plastic?) protection over the dome - as far as I can tell from my brief listening everything seems to be working fine. If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be really grateful! - thanks
Chrisj

Gary L
11-11-2006, 10:15 AM
I owned the entire 1000 system a while back and it included the MX 1000 Class A amp, CX 1000 Pre, TX 1000 Tuner and 4 NS 1000M speakers.

My impression was this system was a very high end combo and the NS 1000Ms are probably the very best sounding I had ever heard in this size speaker. A bit bright and bass shy but extremely accurate with lots of punch.
I heard a pair of NS 2000s once and these added the missing bass so I would deffinately purchase a pair of 2000s in a second if all was working and not wildly over priced.
Parts are the main concern with these.
To the best of my knowledge Yamaha still had tweeters available but they were around $250 each the last time I checked.

Very heavy cabinets on the NS 1000Ms but very high quality fit and finish.
They did love power but the MX 1000 amp had more then enough of that.
The electronics were a complete nightmare to keep lamps in and I had quite a supply of the 14.5V 115 MA bulbs but got very depressed with constantly changing bulbs.

Value wise this entire system sold very quickly and at unbelivable high prices so I have to give it a very high mark.

I would gladly have kept the NS 1000 speakers but was able to replace them with some much nicer-- TO MY EARS-- Altecs and had a bunch of cash left over.

Gary

JohanR
11-23-2006, 07:43 AM
The Swedish state radio bought severel HUNDREDS of Yamaha NS1000 M's in the late 1970's after extensive listening tests (no, I don't think JBL where in the evaluation. Prejudice?). They where used, and are still in use, as standard monitors all over the organisation.

They where therefore popular in Swedish HiFi stores at that time. I never liked them, but that could have been them being very revieling of what was used to drive them in those days...

It would be intersting to hear them today in a proper system!

JohanR