PDA

View Full Version : Table saw, any tip?

Flodstroem
01-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Hi members

If buying a table saw, what model/brands should I buy for cutting particle boards and MDF and hardwoods? A drive motor of at least 1.5-2 horse power would be enough for me I guess, also it must have the option to be useful for cutting 45° angles for corners.

Somebody have any tip/suggestion? All feedback received will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Robh3606
01-22-2006, 07:46 AM
That's a tuff one in a way. You don't want a $79 special but you can't get a TOTL commercial saw if your only going to use it occasionally. I ended up with a Sears Craftsmen Farthers Day special 2 years ago. It's not the best but it was a good compromise of the saws I looked at. I shopped around at Home Depot, Sears and a couple of other tool stores. Came with a heavy steel table base and extendors that could handle the sheets I use. You could also get additional extendors that would lock into the Aluminum top plate for it if need be. I get 1/4 sheets of MDF precut to 24X48" and use those for my cabinets. If you want to do angle cuts take into account the max material thickness to determine the blade size you need. I use a 10" with 3hp motor and it cuts like a champ through 3/4 and 1" material. What ever you get, make sure that any extensions that are wide enough to handle your raw material and sturdy enough to support it. Also make sure the quides and such are also heavy duty and lock into position. With the saws I was looking at the guides and extenders in the cheaper models tended to be on the flimsy side. Same with the blade guard and anti kick back pawl. Look at the whole package the quality of the guides and such are as important as the motor itself.

Rob:)

boputnam
01-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Sears has great table saws.

I've got the 10-in stowable model. Mine is like this, but a few years older:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00921806000&tab=des#tab

I don't do a great deal of cabinet work, so don't want a table saw occupying my whole shop. This cuts really precisely, and gets outa the way when not being used. The built-in measuring (miter gauge) works astonishingly well. 15 amp motor.

Hamilton
01-22-2006, 11:49 AM
I own three, two portables and one stationary. And it is very true, the more you spend the better you get. This is my latest portable aquisition and it is working very well.

http://66.77.255.87/Images/BOSCHTOOLS/4000_09/WEB_LG/4000_09_lg.jpg
And if I was looking at a mid priced stationary unit I would start comparing with something like these :

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/Products/Tools/ExtraLarge/20050107112904_36-461_72dpi_400.jpg

johnaec
01-22-2006, 12:28 PM
I've got a Sears Craftsman myself. I was lucky about 2 years ago when they were moving to new models and got an $800 model on clearance for about $500, (and the last one they had in the Bay area, actually). It's got the nice cast iron side table extensions, though these add an expense and functionality that might not be that necessary for everyone. They certainly make decent lower priced models, and Sears has a great support system in place anywhere, (parts, supplies, etc.).

John

scott fitlin
01-22-2006, 12:39 PM
I have a Powermatic table saw, and I think they are great. Bosch is also excellent.

How often are you going to use it? If your going to be doing lots of work, then it pays to invest in quality tools, there is a difference!

If this is for a one time job, Craftsman makes a decent saw.

Flodstroem
01-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Now I have a pretty good idea what type of table saw I should buy.
Bo, your idea for a stowable was a smart thing I didnt thought of. :thmbsup:

My intention is to use it not only for loudspeaker cabinet building but also for work at my house and other thing where there is a need for cutting wood in/for my house and garden. Perhaps a 3 HP motor is a must and it must be a 3 ph, 230V 50Hz.

The DELTA saw looks very much as a one I was considering to buy. Craftsmen had a lot of models I could consider to buy. I dont now if there is Craftsmen to buy here in Norway but all your tips will be considered when I start searching for a one like those "over here". :(

Thanks all of you for the useful feedback. :)
Regards

boputnam
01-22-2006, 01:31 PM
This is my latest portable aquisition and it is working very well.Yea. I am stunned with the quality of my portable, and the work it turns out. I expected far less than what the saw is able to do, with very good precision.

speakerdave
01-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Sears? Nah! I definitely prefer the old heavy duty stuff. It's best to have a table saw with "wings" and some kind of outfeed arrangement, which you may have to rig up yourself. Having been down the sears power tool road I have to say they suck big time. For the same money or less you are much better off with a used Rockwell 10" Contractor table saw. Built for durability these saws work just fine even if they've had a lot of use, and sometimes it's possible to get a real bargain on an underused one if you look around.

Powermatic is heaven, but very expensive.

David

Audiobeer
01-22-2006, 03:35 PM
I think a Delta (Contracters model) would be good for the price. Just make sure it's not a direct drive for cabinet building.

jims
01-22-2006, 04:32 PM
I think a Delta (Contracters model) would be good for the price. Just make sure it's not a direct drive for cabinet building.

Agree with this choice. Can be had with an excellent unifence or biesemeyer fence. Whichever way you go, though, invest in a top quality blade for precision cuts. I think Forrest blades are the best. They run true and stay sharp after much use.

Ian Mackenzie
01-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Jet is another good American brand.

speakerdave
01-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Jet is another good American brand.
A joke, I assume. It may be an American brand, but the tools are made somewhere north of you, Ian, and never were made anywhere else (Grizzly too).

Also, it seems to me most of this talk about American brands is irrelevant in Europe anyway. When I was working at it there was a very fine European table saw, Swiss?, called Inca.

David

Ian Mackenzie
01-22-2006, 05:36 PM
A joke, I assume. It may be an American brand, but the tools are made somewhere north of you, Ian, and never were made anywhere else.

Also, it seems to me most of this talk about American brands is irrelevant in Europe anyway. When I was working at it there was a very fine European table saw, Swiss?, called Inca.

David

Well that's interesting, I just had a look at it :

The fence is : Made in the United States, Auburn Washington.

I recall what a pain in arse the inches and feet tape was until we ordered a metric and inches tape.

As I understand it the saw is Made in Tawain under American supervision.

I will post a pic it when I get moment!

The 2004 catalogue has to locate a dealer near you call 800-274-6848

Regardless they do have an impressive range, a bit over the top for the odd job perhaps.

Interestingly, the manufacting quality of tools out of China is now at a stage where they are in many cases better than else where.

scott fitlin
01-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Interestingly, the manufacting quality of tools out of China is now at a stage where they are in many cases better than else where.Like it or not, China is the new manufacturing capital of the world. They will get better and better as time goes by.

honist_bob
01-22-2006, 05:54 PM
I too would go with Sears as a source for a non-pro table saw. Almost all saws are nice and precise when running new and with a new (sharp) blade.

The difference is that a professional model like a Delta Unisaw will have the same precision after years of daily use--long after portable saws become worn-out.

Buy at Sears and use the money you save to buy a dust extraction system (or a large shop vac and hoses). That mdf dust is just awful!

speakerdave
01-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Like it or not, China is the new manufacturing capital of the world. They will get better and better as time goes by.
It's not a question of where it is made as much as it is a question of the intention with which it is made. The Jet and Grizzly stationary tools I had a chance to examine twenty years ago appeared to be very imprecise knockoffs of the Rockwell tools.

David

edgewound
01-22-2006, 08:02 PM
It's not a question of where it is made as much as it is a question of the intention with which it is made. The Jet and Grizzly stationary tools I had a chance to examine twenty years ago appeared to be very imprecise knockoffs of the Rockwell tools.

David

Unfortunately they've come a loooong way in twenty years. New Delta's are made in asia too. Try Tools 'r us, or Lowes for Delta, the Home Depot brand Rigid looks pretty good too for a consumer saw. I have a 1960's Rockwell 10" 3-phase on a roller cart from a movie studio prop-shop....but I really need a new fence....probably a Biesmeier T-Square.

mbottz
01-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Purchase the largest blade capacity and the largest table top your shop and budget will allow. Also look for a heavy duty self squareing fence. The larger blade saws are far more accurate and produce superior results with less stress on the motor. The large table top allows you to cut 4'X8' plywood and mdf very easily by yourself. Seems there is never any help around when you need it.
Also purchase a can of Car paste wax. Wax your table top every time prior to using and the wood will not bind or stick. Your work will be much easier.
I personally own a Delta 10 inch contractor saw which I would never be without. If you are going to cut a lot of angles such as crown molding or frame work, invest in a 10 or 12 inch motorized miter saw. Table saws do not cut these type of angles near as accurate as the miter saw.

Just my .02 cents

MB

speakerdave
01-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Here's a web site outlining the table saw buying decision. It describes six levels of quality in table saws and gives detailed accounts of the important differences.

http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/SelectingATablesaw/selecting_a_tablesaw.html

David

Mr. Widget
01-23-2006, 12:33 AM
If you have the room, a stationary saw with extension tables and as big a motor as you can afford and have electricity for is the way to go. Here in the states many of the smaller saws run on 110V... the current draw is too great the voltage drop is huge and you loose so much power that it is impossible to cut 8/4 maple (2" thick). I assume Norway, like most of Europe is on 220V so that's a big plus.

My saw is a US made Powermatic Model 66 with a 240V 5hp motor... it is one of the best built cabinet saws available... they used to come with a biesemeyer fence... Delta bought biesemeyer so now they come with a copy... on the surface the Delta Unisaw and the Powermatic Model 66 seem very similar... they are. The Powermatic has more massive castings all around and most importantly the blade tilts the correct direction. The Delta tilts to the right... cutting miters with a right tilting saw will increase your problems with tear out.

I would assume there is a European make that is comparable... for awhile I had an Italian Mini-Max... too much aluminum.. the Inca from Switzerland is also too light weight for my taste... I like quality iron in my stationary machines... You might look for Luna... they are from Sweden... I've never used one of their saws, but I have one of their planer/jointer/mortiser combo machines and it is pretty good. It is a little wimpy, but not bad for a 1000lbs "lightweight" machine.;)

Widget

Phil H
01-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Mr. Widget,

Oh no, you are behind the times. Delta has offered the Unisaw with left tilt for a number of years.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif One of the biggest problems with a right tilt is that it tilts toward the fence and it is easier for the material to be bound between the fence and the blade. But, I have to admit that the Powermatic has a slightly better reputation. I've never used one. I only have experiance with Unisaws and an older 12" Davis and Wells (plus some delta/rockwell contractor saws). I've never used a left tilt saw.

Flodstoem,
You have gotten some good advice. If I were buying a table saw, I'd look for a Delta contractors saw or Unisaw. But, I don't know what they have in Norway. If you want to make your life easy, make sure the saw has a good fence. Beisemeyer is (was?) the top name in fences. Beisemeyer is the Xerox of fences; there are other brands, but Beisemeyer was the first.

If you are considering a cabinet saw and are mechanically inclined, you might consider a used saw. Used contactors saws can also be a good value. In my opinion, the contractor saws from 30 years ago were made better than the new ones. I still kick myself for not responding to an ad for a free, but very old Unisaw.

chad
01-23-2006, 02:30 AM
.....Whichever way you go, though, invest in a top quality blade for precision cuts. I think Forrest blades are the best. They run true and stay sharp after much use.I used to make cuts with my stepfather's old craftsman, it had an el cheapo stamped steel blade. I dug through a stack of blades we acquired at an estate sale, found a nice quality carbide toother. Put that sucker on to try it out....

Made a few cuts with the good blade and it was like night and day - a good blade makes a HUGE difference. HUGE!!!

Flodstroem
01-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Unfortunately there is no Craftsmen representatives in Norway as far as I have found out :(
But looking at other branches I have found a couple of machines that could work for my purposes.

Hamilton
I own three, two portables and one stationary. And it is very true, the more you spend the better you get. This is my latest portable aquisition and it is working very well.

When looking at those table saws I think I will go for the Bosch and also I have checked availability and price. But it would be fine with that Delta saw but to expensive (and no representatives to)

Hamilton, I guess the model on you picture is a GTS 10, am I right? Could you tell us any further about working with it ? Could you recommend it as a good buy?

BTW, where did you find the "portables" for that saw Hamilton, havnt seen it here anywhere. :)

Regards

Mr. Widget
01-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Mr. Widget,

Oh no, you are behind the times. Delta has offered the Unisaw with left tilt for a number of years.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif Guilty as charged... I don't really hang out at the local tool stores since I haven't needed to buy any new tools in over a decade. I have used both Powermatics and right tilting Deltas for years and both are very good. While the Sears Craftsmen saws look a lot like the Delta Contractor's saw... they aren't in the same league. My first saw was the Craftsman, I upgraded the motor and fence before ever setting it up and got many good years of service from it, but you get what you pay for.

I've always preferred the Biesemeyer fence, but it is such a simple design, I am sure the clones are fine.

You are right about the right tilt being more likely to bind... but after pushing a few thousand board feet of lumber through a saw it becomes less of an issue. You get a feel for that sort of thing... I would highly recommend that what ever saw you do buy, you get one with a left tilt.

Another issue with the portables is that they tend to use universal motors, the same sort as found in routers. They are just plain loud and obnoxious.

Widget

JuniorJBL
01-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Ihave a JET Supersaw and it is ok but the fence is a joke. They now have the new supersaw and it has an accu-fence (Beisemeyer knock off). With that said I got really tired of going slow to rip large boards so...

I found a 3hp single phase Unisaw w/52" unifence. The saw is 20 years old and really eats wood for lunch. I use a variety of blades Forrest, Systimatic are the main blades I use.
The model 66 is an awesome saw but was more money then I could afford but a very fine saw none the less.

There is very good info here that should help. Just buy the BEST quality saw you can find/afford or you will be spending more money down the road.

This is just my opinion.;)

Hamilton
01-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Hamilton, I guess the model on you picture is a GTS 10, am I right? Could you tell us any further about working with it ? Could you recommend it as a good buy?
It is the Bosch 4000-9, the "-9" indicates it comes with the stand, which is way cool by itself! Those sell for $539 here is the states and can be seen here :

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=175981&G=54932&I=58462

As far as being a good buy? Well, I like it as far as portables go and that's as far as I will go with that, and it does perform extremely well but there's no way to compare it to a stationary saw, even a mid priced one.

Now Mr. Widget owns a REAL saw!! http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Woody Banks
01-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I will side with Widget on the choice of table saws if you budget will allow. The new Unisaw has a butt load of plastic compared to the old models.
One saw you may want to avoid is the Shop Fox. As it turns out it is simply a Grizzly saw painted white instead of green. The saw itself is a Delta clone made overseas. It has a lot of good features such as left tilting, 3HP single phase motor, and cast iron extension wings. The problem I had was that the fence system interfered with the blade guard and wouldn't allow you to get within 1.5" of the blade. The Shop Fox was about half of what the Powermatic costs, but I wish now that I had held out for the one I really wanted.

Flodstroem
01-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Now, all these information you have given to me is VERY useful. But its not easy to find anything cheap over here. The Bosch GTS10/4000 US for example, the best price I have found in the US was $ 499.99 including the "Gravity Rise Wheeled Stand", unbelievable. Best price I have found at my country was NOK 7,085 = $ 1,085.00 :( and this price do NOT inklude the Wheeled Stand either :banghead:

It means that my limited budget will be a disadvantage for a purchase of a stationary (pro) saw. :biting: Maybe I should try to find a saw at eBay. But this will not be easy either to find a saw equipped with a motor for 230V 50Hz

My budget will look for a saw at the price of a Norwegian Bosch. :o:

I really appreciate all your feedback in this subject , thanks.

loach71
01-23-2006, 05:39 PM
I like the General Tool table saw (cabinet saw, NOT the contractor saw).
Made in Hamilton ONT Canada. Good workmanship, reasonable price. You can always get replacement parts form General, unlike thew non-name Taiwanese copies. I also like and use the Beismeier precision fence.

I don't like the contractor saws because the blade tilting mechanism if flimsy - and this make for imprecise cuts and second rate joinery.

Mr. Widget
01-23-2006, 05:48 PM
I'll second the recommendation for General... they used to be a real bargain. As has already been shown above I am not up on the most recent developments in tools.:D

Obviously cost is always an issue... if you have the space, don't settle for a small portable saw that will always be almost good enough... keep an eye out for used bargains. We can't take this stuff with us and the older quality equipment will certainly out live their original owners.

Widget

scott fitlin
01-23-2006, 06:24 PM
We can't take this stuff with us and the older quality equipment will certainly out live their original owners.

WidgetThere is truth to this statement! I have my grandfathers old American Sawmills Monarch Radial Arm saw from the 50,s, and not only does it still work, it is better than most anything you can buy today at any price!

Heavy as hell, though.

:)

FredEmmerich
01-23-2006, 10:26 PM
My intention is to use it not only for loudspeaker cabinet building but also for work at my house and other thing where there is a need for cutting wood in/for my house and garden. Perhaps a 3 HP motor is a must and it must be a 3 ph, 230V 50Hz.
Regards

A 3 phase saw would be very expensive here, but it would work great. Its hard to find homes with 3 phase power anymore. I wish I had it for my HVAC system, it is much more efficient.

Ian Mackenzie
01-23-2006, 11:55 PM
3 phase is prefered for large motors and they start much better...the Jet table saw is 3 phase but you pay for switch gear and 3 phase power.

Ian

Phil H
01-24-2006, 12:37 AM
. . . It means that my limited budget will be a disadvantage for a purchase of a stationary (pro) saw. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biting.gif Maybe I should try to find a saw at eBay. But this will not be easy either to find a saw equipped with a motor for 230V 50Hz . . .
Food for thought: find a used saw that needs a new motor. The pulley would also need to be changed because 50Hz runs slower than 60Hz. In the US, most electric motors have standard frame sizes (I am not talking about the direct drive universal motors like the Bosch - but motors for contractor and cabinet saws). Perhaps a local electric motor shop could provide guidance.

Flodstroem
01-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Hi all members
I thought I was going for the Bosch 4000, but when I had a contact with my local tool distributor he advised me to buy another type of saw
Mr Widget

I would assume there is a European make that is comparable... for awhile I had an Italian Mini-Max... too much aluminum.. the Inca from Switzerland is also too light weight for my taste... I like quality iron in my stationary machines... You might look for Luna... they are from Sweden... I've never used one of their saws, but I have one of their planer/jointer/mortiser combo machines and it is pretty good. It is a little wimpy, but not bad for a 1000lbs "lightweight" machine.
:)

If you have the room, a stationary saw with extension tables and as big a motor as you can afford and have electricity for is the way to go.
Thank you Mr Widget for that. Right now, I have bought a Luna saw. Got it for a demo price, but it was hardly used because it had only been for looking at in a shop for a while. Costs: ca $ 1,500. A reasonable price over here for a high precision cabinet saw, comes with a sliding /movable table for high precision cuts, extension table, 3HP, 3ph motor and a HM blade :applaud:

http://www.luna.no/katalogdata/v15/bilder/FSIZE/FB12895.JPG

Could post better pictures when the saw has arrived if of interest

Thanks to all of you :D

qxlxp
01-24-2006, 10:17 AM
i have the bosch, which is pretty nice for a saw i can roll under my workbench, but it doesn't appear to even be in the same league as your new luna.

given that you had the money and the space for the larger saw, i think you made a good decision.

the sliding table looks like it will be great for cutting plywood and mdf.

Mr. Widget
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I have bought a Luna saw. Got it for a demo price...

Could post better pictures when the saw has arrived if of interest

Thanks to all of you :DVery Cool! Please do post a couple of pics... I'd love to see it and I know there are others here that would get a kick out of seeing it.

Widget

Robh3606
01-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Hello Flodstroem

Wow!! Nice saw! I would love to have a saw like that. I have no place to set one up though. Good decission, why mess around if you have the room. We are going to need pictures of your cabinets so keep your camera handy:bouncy:

Rob:)

Flodstroem
01-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi All

Well.....first thing to do, heavy cleaning of my garage. Also Im waiting for the tool shop to give me a shipping day. Maybe this week, I dont know yet. But in the mean time I also bought a fine cutting saw blade (YD 10" 80 teeth and Hard Metal/tungsten)

I also have to install a vacuum cleaner for taking care of the saw dust or else it would be hard to find the car in the morning :D

Anything to be aware of regarding the vacuum cleaner?

Yes I will take pictures of the saw and post them here.

Regards

Hamilton
01-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Oh man, you'll do fine with that!

scott fitlin
01-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi All

Well.....first thing to do, heavy cleaning of my garage. Also Im waiting for the tool shop to give me a shipping day. Maybe this week, I dont know yet. But in the mean time I also bought a fine cutting saw blade (YD 10" 80 teeth and Hard Metal/tungsten)

I also have to install a vacuum cleaner for taking care of the saw dust or else it would be hard to find the car in the morning :D

RegardsNice! :D

andresohc
01-24-2006, 07:53 PM
I tried using a thrift store bought entire house vacuum. A really big vacuum mounted in the wall with hoses that run everywhere. didnt work. The filter plugs instantly with mdf. Wet dry vacs arent much better in my experience. The cartridge jams up and you spend half your time shaking it out in the yard or blowing it off with compressed air and getting the dust all over outside. I am in the process of getting a cyclone dust collection system(Grizzly GO440, highly rated by American Woodworker and a good price at $745, I dont know how good it is but if you are looking down the road email me and I will let you know) MDF makes a huge mess of your garage and lungs. I am no expert but got a lot of input from my friends and relatives about the effects of MDF dust and the (formaldehyde?) glue which is recently been shown to be a cancer hazard. Nice looking saw.
Hi All

Regards

Mr. Widget
01-24-2006, 08:07 PM
I use a small Grizzly dust collector that I keep under the extension table of my saw... to make it even more trick, it is wired to a current sensing switch so when the saw is turned on the dust collector comes on automatically. I actually have three of these little Grizzlies as I found in my previous shop that having a central system with ducts going everywhere can be less than desirable in a small shop. (Also the little Grizzlies are relatively cheap at $175 ea.)

I do have my little Grizzly hooked up to a home made centrifugal particle collector... basically a 40 gallon heavy fiber drum with an inlet and exit... it really keeps the system working. Years ago I even used one with a Sears shop vac... it keeps the filter clear until the barrel fills. You need to use a rigid barrel though. The first one I built used a 20 gal. galvanized steel trash can... I turned it on and wham... that little trash can imploded. It was quite spectacular.

Widget

edgewound
01-24-2006, 08:15 PM
I use a small Grizzly dust collector that I keep under the extension table of my saw... to make it even more trick, it is wired to a current sensing switch so when the saw is turned on the dust collector comes on automatically. I actually have three of these little Grizzlies as I found in my previous shop that having a central system with ducts going everywhere can be less than desirable in a small shop. (Also the little Grizzlies are relatively cheap at $175 ea.)

I do have my little Grizzly hooked up to a home made centrifugal particle collector... basically a 40 gallon heavy fiber drum with an inlet and exit... it really keeps the system working. Years ago I even used one with a Sears shop vac... it keeps the filter clear until the barrel fills. You need to use a rigid barrel though. The first one I built used a 20 gal. galvanized steel trash can... I turned it on and wham... that little trash can imploded. It was quite spectacular.

Widget

Thanks for the tip on the Grizzly, Widget....the trash can episode is making me :rotfl:

Flodstroem
01-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Hi Mr Widget,

I turned it on and wham... that little trash can imploded. It was quite spectacular.
that was a good point, It make me :rotfl: :rotfl: to!

That little Grizzly centrifuge looks very cool and handy. I shall look for a similar over here.

And thank you andresohc for your good points to, especially regarding the MDF dust. Yes, if I am "looking down the road" I would like to e-mail you.

Regards

sonofagun
01-25-2006, 08:07 AM
When I was cutting with a direct drive, 12" Craftsman saw (an incredible saw but no longer made!) running on 220V (recommended), I used it OUTSIDE (weather permitting) to eliminate/minimize dust problem.

Inside, I used two Shop vacs - one connected underneath saw - the other was connected to a clear plexiglas shroud which was positioned directly over the blade with just enough clearance under it to pass the stock through - worked like a charm!

Also built a horizontal panel saw with built-in collector for less than $200! I oughta make plans for this available. :bouncy:

johnaec
01-25-2006, 08:38 AM
When I was building speaker cabinets at "Hard Truckers", (later merged with Ultra Sound), before the days of such strict environmental controls, we put a 4' fan in the ceiling, which sucked the dust straight out and blew it around the rest of the warehouse complex. :p The draw was so great it would slam doors shut when it was running! :D We used to joke that you could throw a wrench in the air and it would suck it out...

John

JuniorJBL
01-25-2006, 09:08 AM
I use a delta 850 dust collector http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4954
I got it at a garage sale for $75.00. It works well for me.
I also just bought this:
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=869

It works very well.;)

Flodstroem
01-25-2006, 09:47 AM
johnaec:

We used to joke that you could throw a wrench in the air and it would suck it out...

But, what about the speaker cabinets, where did they go :rotfl:

duaneage
01-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Think easy.

I took a 20 inch square window fan and taped a AC filter to it. .55 a piece and you can move them anywhere. I also have a 20 inch exhaust fan in the ceiling and I pull dust into the attic. Where it goes from there is anybody's guess, I don't go up there much.

I have though about putting in a central dust collector. I have GREAT plans for a centrifugal dust collector that you run tuvbes from the saw to but I have no time to make it.

duaneage
01-31-2006, 09:51 PM
I have a Ryobi 3000 with an extended table on it. I can do up to 60 inch cuts. I know it is a cheap saw but I am just an occassional woodworker and can't spend 2500.00 on a high end saw. I have about 500 into the Ryobi with the cart it's on and the extended table.

I built a lot of speakers with it and I'm satisfied. I check the alignment on it every spring and it is usually right on. I use small diameter blades for easier cutting. After 4 years of use I have never had any problems but it is noisy as a jet airplane engine.

I have a Rigid RAS. It is identical to a model sold by sears. Emerson Electriic made this saw and it is pretty decent, It does have a 220 volt capable motor and a thick 1 inch MDF table. Very accurate and powerful. Not bad for 650 dollars.

Flodstroem
02-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Hi all
Thank you all for the advice and helpful comments.
Saw is in the garage (not mounted yet). :bouncy:

junior JBL:
I use a delta 850 dust collector http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4954
I got it at a garage sale for $75.00. It works well for me. :thmbsup:

Nice price for your dust collector. I found out that it was necessary to buy a brand new cyclone/centrifugal dust collector. Same brands as the saw (Luna "Proofy"). The Dust collector is very much similar to the Grizzly G1028Z or the Delta 50-850A (1.5 HP). Price over here $ 340 ca. :(

Mr Widget
I use a small Grizzly dust collector that I keep under the extension table of my saw... to make it even more trick, it is wired to a current sensing switch so when the saw is turned on the dust collector comes on automatically. Very cool. Mr Widget. I must arrange a function like this to, to the table saw. Maybe a contactor/reley wired to the on/off -switch including fuses and a power outlet to connect the dust collectors power plug ?

Pics coming soon.

Regards

JuniorJBL
02-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Flodstroem

I took the switch off of my dust collector and put it in my shop next to my light switches. The dust collector is in a shed attached to the back of my shop. I have 4 blast gates so it can be hooked up to a few tools at the same time.

I will post some more pics in a thread that I started when I was framing my shop.

I also put my air compressor in the shed as well.

Congrats on the new saw!!:applaud:

Flodstroem
02-05-2006, 05:37 PM
The garage was thoroughly cleaned at the floor so I could place the table saw (Luna model ECS 250) where I intend to work. This is a part of it including the dust collector in the back ground.

Flodstroem
02-05-2006, 05:42 PM
And this is the saw:

Flodstroem
02-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Rip fence with extension and sliding table (with miter gage)

Flodstroem
02-05-2006, 05:49 PM
The happy owner dreaming of future cabinet building

johnaec
02-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Wow! Nice! Even with that dust collector, you might want to hang a screen or something in front of your shelves, (unless that stuff is going elsewhere...)

John

Mr. Widget
02-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Very nice! Congratulations!

Widget

yggdrasil
02-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Vemodig vakkert.

Any exciting new project planned?

Hamilton
02-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm glad you did well, good luck!

Flodstroem
02-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi and thanks :)

johnaec wrote

Wow! Nice! Even with that dust collector, you might want to hang a screen or something in front of your shelves, (unless that stuff is going elsewhere...)

Yes I have thought of that. All of the stuff will be moved up to the 2.nd floor and Im going to mount inner walls to.

But my projects: wish to start with some testing cabinets. 1) will be a ML TQWT for the LE8T/2115. 2) will be a ML TQWT for a 2215H or a 2245H incorporating a 2012H for the "upper bass"

ML TQWT = mass loaded tapered quarter wavelength tube :blink: design by Martin J. King ( http://www.quarter-wave.com/ )

Will post pics when these are in function. :D

Regards