PDA

View Full Version : Trying to date my new Apollo?s

scroungeking
01-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I bought a pair of older JBL floor speakers at an auction, and am trying to determine which type they are and when made. I have looked around the site and have determined with certainty that they have the S7 complement of components, and are most likely C51 Apollos, but have found no likeness in any of the catalogs. This leads me to believe that either they were made in a year for which there is no catalog posted, or that the grills have been redone. The grills are plain, without the two vertical bars on all other Apollos I've seen. The cloth is woven and plastic-like, and tan/beige in color. Is there any way to trace serial no.'s of components, like the crossover, to determine age? Appreciate any help! :banghead:

analogman
01-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I bought a pair of older JBL floor speakers at an auction, and am trying to determine which type they are and when made. I have looked around the site and have determined with certainty that they have the S7 complement of components, and are most likely C51 Apollos, but have found no likeness in any of the catalogs. This leads me to believe that either they were made in a year for which there is no catalog posted, or that the grills have been redone. The grills are plain, without the two vertical bars on all other Apollos I've seen. The cloth is woven and plastic-like, and tan/beige in color. Is there any way to trace serial no.'s of components, like the crossover, to determine age? Appreciate any help! :banghead:

Post a picture, grille OFF, and a picture of the backside of the grille. The grille shot should show the baffle side of the vertical brace, then I can tell you within a couple of years their birthdate. Most likely. Are the networks interior or exterior mount? That would be helpful, too.
Analogman