PDA

View Full Version : Woofer replacement?

Mike33
01-21-2006, 01:27 AM
I just picked up a pair of speakers that look to be from the 70s and the woofers are shot.
They look interesting and are a 4 way design with the following:

1-12" woofer.
1-5'' mid range.
1-3 1/2" horn tweeter.
1-1" dome tweeter.
Fre res:28-22,000 hz.
C.0. freq: 1200-5000 hz.
8 ohm.
70w rps.
MSRP $259.95
Just curious if it would be worthwhile to put a pair of JBL woofers in them.
Do they look like any of the old JBL speakers (a copy maybe)?
Here is the potential bad part, they are AudioSphere Research AX-465A speakers, no info on the net i could find.
But maybe they look like they could be a project.

Here are a couple pictures.

Thanks.

Zilch
01-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Do the woofers play at all? Maybe just replace the surrounds yourself using the appropriate size kit and see what they sound like.

Otherwise, get us the interior dimensions of the box and the size of the port, if there is one.

Is the top box an isolated cabinet? Give us the size of that, as well.

That's not much of a crossover for a four-way, unless there's more in the upper box....

Mike33
01-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Do the woofers play at all? Maybe just replace the surrounds yourself using the appropriate size kit and see what they sound like.

Otherwise, get us the interior dimensions of the box and the size of the port, if there is one.

Is the top box an isolated cabinet? Give us the size of that, as well.

That's not much of a crossover for a four-way, unless there's more in the upper box....

Both work properly with not much bass.
I was thinking that but also thinking maybe they can use better woofers.
The top box is isolated 8" deep/14.5" w/6.5"t.
The horn has a cap on it and no other crossover.
Midrange says made in taiwan A11DC60-02F if that means anything.
There is no port on the bottom and the interior size is: 8x14.5x17.5

pelly3s
01-21-2006, 06:09 AM
i see an interesting project with those cabs

Zilch
01-21-2006, 11:49 AM
There is no port on the bottom and the interior size is: 8x14.5x17.5Hmmm. Those are shallower than I envisioned them being.

BB6P says that's 1.175 cu.ft.

How 'bout making mini-Altec Model 19 style outta them using JBL components?

Soon as Giskard suggests the best woofer to use, we'll get moved to the new DIY forum. ;)

Any of the new PT-F waveguides will fit in the top box, and there's a variety of driver choices, depending upon how much you want to spend, for a two-way.

Alternatively, standard L-100 family M/H components would fit there for a three-way design. Plenty of those around, though they're getting a bit pricey, themselves.

Can you build crossovers given a schematic?

I'm having difficulty coming up with a decent tuning using L100 woofer (blue), tho 128H (orchid) or 2214 (black) will work, it appears. Hard to get big bass out of so small a box, but they can probably be configured to sound pretty nice....

Mike33
01-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Hmmm. Those are shallower than I envisioned them being.

BB6P says that's 1.175 cu.ft.

How 'bout making mini-Altec Model 19 style outta them using JBL components?

Soon as Giskard suggests the best woofer to use, we'll get moved to the new DIY forum. ;)

Any of the new PT-F waveguides will fit in the top box, and there's a variety of driver choices, depending upon how much you want to spend, for a two-way.

Alternatively, standard L-100 family M/H components would fit there for a three-way design. Plenty of those around, though they're getting a bit pricey, themselves.

Can you build crossovers given a schematic?

I'm having difficulty coming up with a decent tuning using L100 woofer (blue), tho 128H (orchid) or 2214 (black) will work, it appears. Hard to get big bass out of so small a box, but they can probably be configured to sound pretty nice....

Thanks for the feedback, i was thinking about adding a port to help the bass.
Never built a crossover, fairly new to this.

Zilch
01-21-2006, 01:03 PM
O.K., deal with the woofer box first, then.

I'm suggesting 128H tuned to 30 Hz using one 2.5" port 10.75" long.

You'll have to use a duct with an elbow or port in from the side of the cabinet.

Your boxes appear to be stuffed with insulation. If so, some of that can be removed to be sure it doesn't block the inside end of the duct.

Chas
01-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Those are "Audiosphere Research" or some such name. Had a facility in Scarborough in the 70's and maybe 80's, you could buy factory direct. I don't remember what the cabinets were like, but the drivers were gawdawful. Might be cool to mount a 175DLH in the top.