PDA

View Full Version : altac 1231 bi-amplification

robin
10-02-2003, 09:29 AM
considering bi-amping my Altec Lansing 1231 studio monitors. they allready have the 2 1/4" hookups on the input. is it required to remove the internal crossover?

boputnam
10-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by robin
they allready have the 2 1/4" hookups on the input. Aren't these monitors, as in stage (foldback) monitors? You know, like wedgies?

I'm near certain those 1/4 in are parallel inputs, for daisy-chaining montor inputs across down-stage, etc.

As such, DO NOT put different inputs into those 1/4 inputs - you will effectively be HOOKING TWO AMPS TO EACH OTHER. Neither the wedgies nor the amps will like you.

Generally, not recommended. :scold:

Isn't there any labelling on/around the inputs? 1/4 in inputs on cabinets are more common in pro (live) gear, than in either audiophile or home, or much else, really, and then most commonly only on monitors - STAGE monitors.

Checking...

robin
10-02-2003, 10:27 AM
yes, you are correct, they are stage monitors from what I know. I just recently came across some info on Bi-amping, and had always wondered why there were 2 inputs on each speaker. you're description of parallel inputs makes good sense, as the inputs are hooked together internally. I did not know if you could remove the bridge, and then Bi-amp, or if it was worth it. :)

boputnam
10-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by robin
I did not know if you could remove the bridge, and then Bi-amp, or if it was worth it. :) You could bi-amp, but they're only two-ways, so the benefits wouldn't be great.

I don't know where you're deploying these, but I've not had good luck using stage monitors in-home. Stage monitors are designed for high SPL - they're about as subtle as a banjo. They scream, can handle high watts, and don't physically show nicks or scuffs. However, they are not sought after for their flat response curves. Having said that, the EV Eliminator line is fairly flat, and EV went to extra lengths to damp cabinet harmonics, reducing sources of feedback. But, neither their low-end nor high-end are particularly pleasing. Their intention is to pierce stage noise and get the singer on-pitch. I've lately gone the way of the ear nubs (Shure E5), as I posted on another Thread here, to avoid going the Pete Townsend way (whadya say...?).