PDA

View Full Version : BGW 250 D Problem

allen mueller
01-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I've got a BGW 250D that cuts out at low volume. Some times its the left channel other times the right. When I say low i meen reel low volume. As soon as i give it more signal it works again. Sound comes back with no pop, distortion or anything like that. I know its not my source, I have a vu meter so i know it's getting signal, also swaped out the amp and the problem went away. Anyone ever have this problem? If someone has had this problem and it's an easy fix i'll have it fixed, other wise i'll probally have to retire the amp since they go for so little on ebay.

Allen

ralphs99
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi Allen,

Technically I'm not supposed to be answering any non-JBL related questions. But I'll assume you're driving JBL's with this amp.;)

It sounds like dirty contacts on the relay that switches the speakers onto the outputs. From memory these are soldered in. I think they also have a small permanent magnet glued to the side. If your soldering skills are OK it will be pretty easy to replace the relay. Re-attach the magnet to the replacement relay. Or the alternative is to toss the magnet it in the rubbish bin. (trash can;) ) It only helps to break the arc at switch-off under load and so protect the contacts a little. Personally I don't think it really helps much.

Cheers, Ralph

allen mueller
01-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Don't worry its for jbls of coarse. Thanks for the imput

Allen

allen mueller
01-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks Ralph. You were right about the relay contacts. The relay was in a socket so it was easy to remove. Took it out and tested the resistance with my multi meter. I had resistance in the Mega Ohms! Would giggle the contacts and the resistance would drop to a few ohms. I carefully removed the cover and partially dismantled the relay and polished up the contacts with some Caig DeoxIT and the buffing wheel on dremel set on the low speed. Got off all the grime, reassembled and checked the resistance and I had 0 ohms so I was good to go. Amp works good as new now. Thanks again

Allen

ralphs99
01-19-2006, 03:21 PM
No worries Allen,

I'm glad it worked out so well. The 250D is a very nice litle amp.

I haven't heard of Deoxit before. I'll keep it mind for my next sticky contact problem. I the past I haven't found a good long term solution for contact cleaning. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Ralph

allen mueller
01-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Glad to return the favor in someway. Check out their website. I have used there products a few times to bring scratchy pots back to life with good success.

www.caig.com (http://www.caig.com/)

Allen