PDA

View Full Version : Are there any JBL as flat as Eminence...

Mighty Saturn 5
01-18-2006, 09:33 PM
When it comes to 15" extended range drivers I was wondering if JBL has anything as flat in the mid-band region(100 hz-4 khz) as the Eminence Kappa pro 15. I've used various E series speakers over the years and have always been impressed by their efficiency-- I've found the E-120 to be an extremly Loud 12" speaker as well as its slightly larger brother the E-130, but as far as efficient and "flat" PA mains are concerned the JBLs in the E-series are not exactly suitable in this role without a good deal of Eq, of course I understand that JBL has many PA type speakers (as opposed to instrument) out there. The problem is that while its easy to obtain Eminence frequency response graphs (they are in their catalog) its not as easy with the various JBL line--specifically 15". Anyway, Thanks for any help I might get. PS--in addition to response, are there any JBL 15" speakers that handle as much power with efficiency in the mid band area as the Eminence.

pelly3s
01-18-2006, 09:49 PM
2225, 2226, 2227, 2255......... thats all i really have to say to that :applaud:

they may not be as efficient but i would rather hit a JBL with a lot of power before a eminence

pelly3s
01-18-2006, 09:54 PM
the eminence is anything but flat there is a 5dB - 10dB difference throughout the mid range

Zilch
01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
JBL publishes the curves.

4 kHz? How about 1.2 kHz:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

Nose around the JBL Pro website. You find stuff....

JBLnsince1959
01-19-2006, 10:21 AM
JBL publishes the curves.

4 kHz? How about 1.2 kHz:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

Nose around the JBL Pro website. You find stuff....

not for the E series, I've looked for it myself over the years and i've never found it...If I'm wrong please show me...

However the E-130 is very close in design to the 2220H and you can find it's graph.... ( starts to lose it under 200)

The E-130 is usually more Mid-range freindly than the 2220 as the 2220 is more for Mid-bass. I'll give numbers so people will know what I'm saying..IMHO mid-bass = 100 to around 500... mid-range 500 to 3000 or 4000

also, while the 2225, 2226, 2227 are great for below 1000, they are not made for over 1000 like the E-series...also the 2227 has a rising graph ( upto around 1000) and is the best of those 3 for over 1000. also the 2225 and 2226 should not be used over 1600 ( your milage may vary)

Comparing the E-series to the 2225, 2226,2227 is like comapring a bird to a dog - totally different gitters ( I'm not familiar with the 2255 - time to do some reading)

4313B
01-19-2006, 10:41 AM
"Power is series business"

I don't know what this means...
Has it something to do with rocket stages?

PS--in addition to response, are there any JBL 15" speakers that handle as much power with efficiency in the mid band area as the Eminence.No, if JBL's were as good as Eminence then they'd be called Eminience instead of JBL. How can you beat a speaker called Eminence?

Mr. Widget
01-19-2006, 11:13 AM
How can you beat a speaker called Eminence?Supreme Eminence?

Damned... if I wasn't Mr. Widget, I could gone for that title.... oh well.:D

Widget

JBLnsince1959
01-19-2006, 01:45 PM
How can you beat a speaker called Eminence?

with a hammer....

scott fitlin
01-19-2006, 06:33 PM
with a hammer....I guess that would flatten it out a bit!

:D

Mighty Saturn 5
01-19-2006, 09:06 PM
the eminence is anything but flat there is a 5dB - 10dB difference throughout the mid range

Well, I guess the graph I'm looking at is different then yours

Mighty Saturn 5
01-19-2006, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=Giskard]"Power is series business"

I don't know what this means...
Has it something to do with rocket stages?

...not exactly, however the nice people who have given us the Crest 10001 might believe it.

Mr. Widget
01-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Well, I guess the graph I'm looking at is different then yoursNot all frequency response graphs are created equally. Even those presented from the same manufacturer, may be taken using very different methods or scales and give a very different appearance.

Widget

pelly3s
01-20-2006, 06:42 AM
this would be the graph i looked at and that is far from anything flat that i have ever seen

Mighty Saturn 5
01-20-2006, 01:47 PM
this would be the graph i looked at and that is far from anything flat that i have ever seen

The graph you have shown does not reflect the graph measurments we've made from the Eminence speaker in question, the two we use have far less rise in the upper mid range and are pretty close to each other graph wise. I'm sure the measurments you have made are correct and your equipment is calibrated, perhaps the readings on the speaker you tested reflect the fact that there is considerable deviation from identical drivers. Anyway since no speaker is perfect it would seem to make sense to find one that meets the most common criteria (in my particular situation) - efficiency, flatness (in its respective frequency use) and long term power handling.Your comment shows you don't agree with our use of Eminence which is fine but since you seem to have seen better please feel free to share this information, I've heard many good things about JBL pro speakers and as mentioned previously was wondering if anyone could help with information (as some did) so I might upgrade to something that better fits the afore mentioned criteria.

edgewound
01-20-2006, 01:56 PM
I've heard many good things about JBL pro speakers and as mentioned previously was wondering if anyone could help with information (as some did) so I might upgrade to something that better fits the afore mentioned criteria.

You'd be awfully hard pressed to find a better driver for your application than the current JBL 2226H. Particularly in terms of sheer power handling and durability. Eminence is a fine..and very prolific... driver if you're willing to accept some tradeoffs in durability and unit to unit consistency. Yes....JBL costs more...and you're also getting more...much more.

Mighty Saturn 5
01-20-2006, 02:03 PM
You'd be awfully hard pressed to find a better driver for your application than the current JBL 2226H. Particularly in terms of sheer power handling and durability. Eminence is a fine..and very prolific... driver if you're willing to accept some tradeoffs in durability and unit to unit consistency. Yes....JBL costs more...and you're also getting more...much more.

Thank you edge, I will look into the 2226H and again thanks for the help.

JBLnsince1959
01-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Mighty Saturn 5

exactly what frequency range did you want the speakers to operate within?

pelly3s
01-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Well the graph I put up was the one from Eminence for the Kappa Pro 15's. If you want a really nice 15" that I feel is better than any JBL in its range (sorry guys) The EV EVX-155 is the choice I would make.

pelly3s
01-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I find some eminence drivers to be great. mostly the ones made for EAW, Community, or other speaker builders out there. My experience with the Kappa Pros is that they are very similar to the response shown on the Eminence website which in the applications I need to use them just is a little sloppy. It took a lot of EQing for me to get a flat response out of them.

edgewound
01-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Well the graph I put up was the one from Eminence for the Kappa Pro 15's. If you want a really nice 15" that I feel is better than any JBL in its range (sorry guys) The EV EVX-155 is the choice I would make.

Oh that's just because you live closer to E-V than JBL....It's that whole East vs. West :bs: .

edgewound
01-20-2006, 05:46 PM
When it comes to 15" extended range drivers I was wondering if JBL has anything as flat in the mid-band region(100 hz-4 khz) as the Eminence Kappa pro 15. I've used various E series speakers over the years and have always been impressed by their efficiency-- .

I'd also be curious as to why you would want a 15" PA speaker to go to 4Khz. I can understand if you're using it for guitar, but for PA it doesn't make much sense for a sound propagation point of view. An EVM 15L will go to 4khz+, and the JBL D/K/E-130 can be tamed on the top end with a paper dust dome. Both of these drivers are discontinued but factory recone kits are still available. I can see 2k-2500hz as transition to compression drivers/horns, but 4k sounds way high....maybe your concerned with diaphragm longevity?

Mighty Saturn 5
01-20-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd also be curious as to why you would want a 15" PA speaker to go to 4Khz. I can understand if you're using it for guitar, but for PA it doesn't make much sense for a sound propagation point of view. An EVM 15L will go to 4khz+, and the JBL D/K/E-130 can be tamed on the top end with a paper dust dome. Both of these drivers are discontinued but factory recone kits are still available. I can see 2k-2500hz as transition to compression drivers/horns, but 4k sounds way high....maybe your concerned with diaphragm longevity?

Hi again Edge, in answer to your initial question; the reason is not because we transition over at 4khz (its actually about 2.8 khz@ 24 db per octave) its just nice to know that the driver is capable of extending out further then its actual cross over point. I know its probably silly but its nice to know the driver used is well within its frequency limits plus as you mentioned we are concerned about compression driver diaphram stress (we use the old JBL 2425J), additionally we find that this particular cross over point for the Eminence 15" is pleasent to the ears without too much "beaming" or harshness. Anyway, thanks for the input and have a nice day.

pelly3s
01-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Oh that's just because you live closer to E-V than JBL....It's that whole East vs. West :bs: .

maybe it is lol. i do love evx 155's though. a lot like a gauss since ev bought them for the 4" vc's