PDA

View Full Version : Read constantly, post rarely but..

ironman
01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
...I'm hoping to get some advice here as all that I've read here is overwhelming for me ! As I've posted, I have a pair of L-112's and L-110's. Can I improve their sound by replacing the mids with LE5-9's and 11's ? And, if so, do I need to mod. the x-overs or will they make the improvement w/o mod. ? I do have the LE5 matrix but I'm afraid I may be missing something here and $ is very much a concern with me at this time.

I would like to improve on the existing x-overs at some point - trying to learn schematics etc.(reading about the bypass caps and all) but so far, all the related info. here is over my head ! So, if I can get the Le-9's and 11's for $50.00 a piece or so would I be making a good start in upgrading ?

Titanium Dome
01-18-2006, 05:10 AM
Did you see the LE5 matrix?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5706

If so, is that the genesis of your question? If not, then you should start your investigation there.

ironman
01-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Good G_d ! I have searched this site to death and never found the thread you've linked to ! Thought I'd read through every single "Giskard" post ! The "matrix" I have is static.
The one you link to is dynamic and gives access to links on everything you need to know about LE5-x series and much more - how can I have missed it ? I typed in every imaginable combo (including "Giskard") in the "search" field.
"Bookmarked" now - thank you ! :applaud:

Titanium Dome
01-18-2006, 09:21 AM
You're welcome. Glad to help, just as others before have helped me.

DavidF
01-18-2006, 01:54 PM
...I'm hoping to get some advice here as all that I've read here is overwhelming for me ! As I've posted, I have a pair of L-112's and L-110's. Can I improve their sound by replacing the mids with LE5-9's and 11's ? And, if so, do I need to mod. the x-overs or will they make the improvement w/o mod. ? I do have the LE5 matrix but I'm afraid I may be missing something here and $ is very much a concern with me at this time.

I would like to improve on the existing x-overs at some point - trying to learn schematics etc.(reading about the bypass caps and all) but so far, all the related info. here is over my head ! So, if I can get the Le-9's and 11's for $50.00 a piece or so would I be making a good start in upgrading ?

I would not expect you to find that the LE5-9/11 to be an upgrade simply by swapping them with the LE5-10. The L110 and L112 oem crossovers are tweaked for the original drivers. The LE5-9/ll have the flat-wire edge-wound voice coil that will bring additional power handling and resistance to power compression. If you tend to drive your speakers hard for long periods of time, this additional power capacity can be “upgrade” in that sense of the word. But you should also make changes to the xover as well to accommodate the need to blend the different components. If stock xover designs are needed you can look at the pro model 4411 which is akin to a L112 with a LE5-9 rather than the LE5-10. Likewise, you can look at the pro model 4313 compared to the L110. In the end you have different designs for different intended uses with different voices (meaning the resulting overall system response is “voiced” by tuning the xover components towards a desired system sound). Whether this is an improvement or not will mean you will have to hear them for yourself. For some, the fun is in the trying.

David F

ironman
01-20-2006, 02:58 PM
In case anyone else is trying to click on, what appears to be, hyperlinks in the aforementioned matrix - I was wrong. Posted before trying to click on them - the colors are nice though even if they aren't "hot links". Still, plenty of info. if one follows some of the related threads offered on the page.I'm going to try for the LE5-5's in my L-110's and the LE5-11's in my L-112's (if I win them). Also, I rec'd. the new surrounds from Rick Cobb today. I've been reading the enclosed instructions, fondling the LE111's, tested the CD etc., but have cold feet ! Afraid of mucking up ! I'll get to it - just have to get my nerve up. For the record, dealing with Rick was a pleasure - feedback: "Fast shipping, excellent communication, a real pleasure to deal with, would do again, A++++++++ !! ". Closest thing to an eBay feedback outside of eBay ! http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/bouncy.gif