PDA

View Full Version : LH Weekend Commitment Thread and Poll

Titanium Dome
01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
As suggested, here's thread for those who can make a commitment to attending a Lansing Heritage weekend in southern California the weekend of March 17, 18, and 19, 2006. **Please bear in mind that this weekend is in no way sponsored by Don McRitchie or this Web site, and neither is responsible for what happens.**

If you can make a commitment to attend, please complete the poll and post any additional thoughts you might have, including a list of any equipment you might want to bring. Please make sure your PM capability is operating, as I'll need to contact you to hammer out some of the details and arrange for your commitment to be "legitimized."

If you cannot make a commitment yet, there's no option for you in the poll and no reason for you to post in this thread yet. I don't need to know that you're not coming. ;)

As it now appears, we can likely feature a maximum of 16 speaker set ups for both medium/large (16) and small/medium (16) systems. We can also handle about 12 DIY systems. List things you want to bring, and if the numbers get too high, then we'll negotiate what you bring and what you leave at home.

**Please remember that the quoted prices are estimates based on ongoing negotiations and could go slightly higher or a lot lower. Lower is my goal, without sacrificing the value of the event.**

Estimated prices include shared hotel room (unless excluded in description); one meal/mixer on Friday, two meals on Saturday (lunch, dinner), and one meal (lunch) on Sunday; access to demonstrations in three presentation rooms; access to the technical sessions; access to the proposed "swap meet"; and attendance at any tours or outside events on your dates of attendance.

**As long as I can, I'll add info here. Here's what "each" means in the poll: each person pays that amount, so the full weekend for two is $330 x 2 = $660. Saturday only, two people, no hotel would be $160 x 2 = $320.

The reason for including the option to select between one and two persons in many categories is because some members PMed that they'd like to bring their spouses. Since the poll only allows one vote, this was a way to have an option for folks bringing spouses or friends who do not have LHS accounts with which to vote.

Yeah, I know, it's not perfect, but it's what I did and apparently I can no longer modify the poll. Sorry for the confusion. No freebies at this point.

Aside from the cost of meals, the single biggest cost is the rental of the meeting rooms. It far exceeds the cost of individual hotel rooms.

The biggest investment of course will be in the tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment that members bring to make this possible. There's no way to account for the value of that.

jbljfan
01-17-2006, 02:54 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/thumbup.gif Still a go here. I'm flying without speakers so.......what's this about a pole?

JBLnsince1959
01-17-2006, 02:58 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/thumbup.gif what's this about a pole?

10-4 :blink:

toddalin
01-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Other than the JBL demos, it would be nice to know what we can expect for our $$$ before we commit (e.g., meals). (I recognize that it wouldn't be finalized.)

Thanks

JuniorJBL
01-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I am not sure if my 250 rehab project will be done in time but I will bring my Musical Fidelity KW500 maybe a Proceed HPA2 and some Firewire F7e's 10' speaker wires:applaud:

Titanium Dome
01-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Other than the JBL demos, it would be nice to know what we can expect for our $$$ before we commit (e.g., meals). (I recognize that it wouldn't be finalized.)

Thanks

I added info in the first post that should help. :)

toddalin
01-17-2006, 05:46 PM
I added info in the first post that should help. :)

OK..., so would the full weekend ($240 without room) be for two people, like the deal with the rooms? (i.e., second person get in everything and eats for free?):blink:

Zilch
01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Johnaec is driving. :p

As of now, I'm bringing three LE14-based DIY two-way systems (if there's room enough):

1) Q&D 4430 (Citation 7.4)
2) Q&D L200t3 (L55)
3) Hotrodded bookshelf (S99)

If I do a Q&D tech session, we'll morph them into Q&D Everest and S3100, and something special I'm working on.... ;)

It looks like John and I will be there Thursday night also, if there's a Northridge tour on Friday PM, 'cause it's an 8-hour drive from up here....

johnaec
01-18-2006, 07:28 AM
OK..., so would the full weekend ($240 without room) be for two people, like the deal with the rooms? (i.e., second person get in everything and eats for free?):blink:Read the poll again - it's $330 each for two people.

John

Titanium Dome
01-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Read the poll again - it's $330 each for two people.

John

Thanks John. I've tried to clarify this in the first post.

johnaec
01-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Johnaec is driving. :p

As of now, I'm bringing three LE14-based DIY two-way systems (if there's room enough):I'm planning on bringing a set of 4315A's.

Hey Zilch - I thought you were sleeping in the van to save money... :duck:

John

toddalin
01-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Last night my wife said that even though its a little costly, I couldn't miss this or I'd regret it forever. Wives like that are hard to come by. :applaud: Put me down for the full weekend without a room.

If anyone is interested, we could demo a home theater night. We have a Hitachi LCOS HD projector-based system that uses a Yamaha RX-Z9 in a 7.1-channel sound system. (Sorry the surround speakers are CV.:o: ) We're about 35 miles east of Carson.

If its of interest, I can also bring a professional SLM (even measures in dB Linear scale) to the event. Any meter that has weighting will not give an accurate bass response. Maybe as a demo/seminar, we could even do a bass frequency measurement such as I performed on the W15GTI vs 2235.

JBLnsince1959
01-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Last night my wife said that even though its a little costly, I couldn't miss this or I'd regret it forever.

Of course if we could get a LOT of local people ( and long distance people too) then price price would drop shaprly. I'm wondering if the price of renting the rooms is scaring people away?

ALSO, has there been any word...hint..anything about a tour of Northridge ? After looking at the Westlake manufacturing facility thread..well..it sure makes me wish we could know something from JBL.

A little PR can go a very long way( hint, hint).....

glen
01-21-2006, 12:47 AM
I voted, will be there!

Titanium Dome
01-21-2006, 01:02 PM
That's eight so far, including me. I voted, too.

In consideration of those flying in, we'll need to finalize yes/no on/off do/don't confirm/cancel next week.

Zilch
01-21-2006, 01:16 PM
I'd agree the Northridge tour is a critical element. Any chance of getting that confirmed in the next week or so?

JBLnsince1959
01-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Dome:

how many people do we need to break even?

johnaec
01-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Dome - Is it save to assume you'll be setting up a demo of at least a stereo Performance system? Maybe 4430's and L7's also? Do you think anyone's interested in hearing a set of L60T's or L3's, as a demo of just how good JBL's larger floor-standing 8" 2-way systems can sound?

John

johnaec
01-21-2006, 03:59 PM
how many people do we need to break even?It seems the main "fixed" cost is going to be the demo room rentals, since hotel rooms, (and meals?), are a pass-through. How much - 'guess T.D. will have to fill us in... And as far as the Northridge tour goes - I think that should only be open for those that are also paying to at least attend some demo sessions, (no freeloaders just for the JBL tour). And I agree with Zilch - that's enough of a draw that it's important to try pinning it down pretty soon.

John

Rolf
01-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Dome:

how many people do we need to break even?

Yes, need to know because we can not confirm flight before we know if this is going to happend.

Rolf

Donald
01-22-2006, 10:32 AM
I can bring a pair of Dorian S12 and L65 Jubal. I also have an 8 speaker pair McIntosh speaker switcher.

If I skip a change of cloths and underwear, I might be able to squeeze in my Aquarius IV S109 and Aquarius Q L120WX. :)

Heck, if I rent a truck I could bring my while sig line!

What type of security will there be for the thousands of $ of stuff that will be sitting around? Don't want to have to lug all my stuff to my room each night.

Will we be able to unload and store on Thursday night? I don't want to miss the Friday tour if it happens.

Titanium Dome
01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Okay, as of today we have nine confirmed attendees. There's no way to make this work with nine people, unless we effectively double the price (and I'm not going to pay to attend if we have to do that).

So, we are facing a decision point.

1. Cancel the event.

2. Find 16 more committed individuals.

3. Change the date and hope for more interest.

4. Scale back the event and see if more people will come to a smaller, less expensive event.

Here's my original plan:

If we stick with the suggestion of three carpeted meeting rooms and meet Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning, then most attendees who stay overnight will need a room for two nights. Some will want three nights.

If we supply dinner (or a mixer) on Friday evening, lunch and dinner on Saturday, and lunch on Sunday, then breakfast and snacks would be up to the individual.

Providing overnight security for our gear will cost extra.

At this point we're looking at a cost of about $330 per person if we get at least 25 attendees who do the "whole package." That's the rental of the three rooms for Friday evening and all day Saturday, rental of one room on Sunday, four meals, two nights in a shared room (double occupancy), and security for two nights.

We can use fewer meeting rooms, reduce the number of days, etc. to reduce costs and time commitment. Actually doing most or all of the event on Friday instead of Saturday will result in significant savings due to facility usage costs. Then Saturday could be for tours and special visits. (?)

Suggestions?

glen
01-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I would opt for number 4, scaling back, AND re-schedule for more time to consider what folks are looking forward to most to help prioritize the scale-back.

Moving events to Friday, away from the weekend, might make it harder on long distance travellers, and probably make it really hard to attract less committed attendees

4. Scale back the event and see if more people will come to a smaller, less expensive event.

We can use fewer meeting rooms, reduce the number of days, etc. to reduce costs and time commitment. Actually doing most or all of the event on Friday instead of Saturday will result in significant savings due to facility usage costs. Then Saturday could be for tours and special visits. (?)

Suggestions?

edgewound
01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Maybe move it to late spring-early summer.....more time for folks to plan.

johnaec
01-24-2006, 07:57 PM
A later date would give people more time to plan, but scaling back just means there's less of interest to make travelling worthwhile, so you'd only end up getting mostly locals.

John

glen
01-24-2006, 11:40 PM
...of interest
John

Well, what is of interest?

Big JBL system demo/shootout?
Small/Medium system demo/shootout?
Do It Yourself systems?
Vintage systems?
JBL factory tour?
Visit to Steve Schell's house/audio museum?
Visit to Toddalin's home theater?

What is most attractive/essential?

Rolf
01-25-2006, 07:43 AM
BUT, and I believe you people understand that you guys in the US have to fill up the numbers at first, as there is no way we or anybody in other countries can confirm that we are coming before we know this is going to happend.

The reason is simple. When we have paid our flight tickets, these are not refoundable, and we don't want to take the trip if the meeting is not going to happend.

I believe the best thing to do is to set a later date so more members who needs more time can sign up.

The question is: Are there more members who want this? There must be, as I believe this will be a lot of fun.

Rolf

johnaec
01-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Well, what is of interest?

Big JBL system demo/shootout?
Small/Medium system demo/shootout?
Do It Yourself systems?
Vintage systems?
JBL factory tour?
Visit to Steve Schell's house/audio museum?
Visit to Toddalin's home theater?

What is most attractive/essential?Personally, I was looking forward to hearing the Performance series, L7's, and 4430's I was pretty sure Ti Dome would bring, plus some of the 434X series, hopefully some of the 12" LSR series, XPL series, etc. What was significant is that they would be basically in the same environment, so valid comparisons could be made, under the same circumstances. I don't know if a "shootout" is necessary - I'd just like to hear different fairly high-end stuff to give me some direction for the future, (future goals). Stuff that not everyone gets a chance to hear very often. A JBL tour would be almost requisite - a longer lead time would likely make this more realistic.

I think home visits would be pretty impractical, unless it was small groups at a time - maybe special order only?

John

toddalin
01-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I would prefer a bigger turn-out and if delaying the event is required to attain this, so be it.

If the group were to stay small, we could do a few sets of speakers here. Our living room is 16 x 28 with sloping 8-16' ceiling. Would only require some shifting of furniture.

JBLnsince1959
01-26-2006, 02:41 PM
So, we are facing a decision point.

1. Cancel the event.

2. Find 16 more committed individuals.

3. Change the date and hope for more interest.

Suggestions?

all of the above.........Let's see what people really want and maybe do some more polls of what people would want..Best time..maybe do a pole asking if the price was too much etc. personally I would just come to meet people and have some fun for a weekend.

Also...It would be nice to hear SOMETHING ( anything ) from or about JBL...

Titanium Dome
01-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I've contacted a few people off line, and the consensus is to move the date back by a month or more.

I hope this doesn't mess up plans for Rolf and others who might have come a long way.

So, for the hell of it, I'll open a thread with a poll for a rescheduled date.

mech986
01-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi TD,

Any reason this couldn't also be opened up to other audiophile groups like AK members (with more than 100 posts) or maybe some of the SoCal based audio clubs/groups? More people involved would allow some cost containment and maybe a chance for JBL-less folks to have a listen.

Of course, there may be downsides - We wanted this to be a LH only event, that's understandable. Also concern about security with folks we don't know as well. Perhaps the most pervasive, the more people know about JBL, the more competition for us on purchases! :banghead:

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Bart

Titanium Dome
01-26-2006, 10:40 PM
There are some guys on other forums that I think would come, but there are plenty that I wouldn't want to come. There are some folks who troll these kind of forums looking for info that will tell them where they might pick up some resaleable gear "cheap."

Ian Mackenzie
01-27-2006, 02:04 AM
Can I make a suggestion and I appreciate there has been a huge effort to get this up so far.

I while back I was the Melbourne Audio Club (Aust) Convenor for 3 years and we had a regular monthly hire of a local Council meeting room at the Civic centre.

Experience taught me a lot about organising people and events.

There were at least one hundred members and we all paid a annual membership fee of about $50 bucks which paid for a monthly magazine and the monthly hire of the room. It took a committee of 6 to handle the orignisation and administration..not a good look at the best of times.

Within that we had half a dozen groups, equipment , diy and various music genres that met either monthly for bi monthly meeting. That was where we had the most success and enjoyment.(meeting the wifee's was the best bit)

Transportable equipment like CD players, graphics and DAC and preamps was often demonstrated and compared in one anothers homes.

We even had dealers pushing for invites to our home meetings to showcase their stuff...ie EQ, speakers, kits and some loaned equipment for evaluation!

I am not asserting you start an LA JBL Club but in view of the costs for a Wamm style Yabbabest and degree of organisation and commitment it might be worth drawing up a calender to consider a pilot of some home meetings in the LA region with a limit on numbers and consider hire of a civic centre if popularity grows for a regular meeting of the clan. That way everyone interested can put their hand up to attend a particular venue / home gathering without all the headaches and share and mix ideas. And everyone will in the end get around to meet each other over time in an orderly fashion.

Perhaps like the thing Ken has done..various people will buddy up having met and have a regular/ocassional home gathering over a pizza or dinner out with the wives.

I know the last time I had friends and club members around we had them stacked 3 deep in front of my JBLs and we had a lot of fun..no pressure, lots of laughs and some great music.

So what you might end up with is some mini home meetings within regions like LA, SF, Reno, Denver, Ohio and NY and the North Pole (Don's)

It just makes more sense and people can hear the stuff as it should be heard in their own homes and the only catering is a dial in pizza!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ian

JuniorJBL
01-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I do think it would be fun. It also would be fun to have an event here in Denver as it might allow some other members a chance to to come who might be closer to denver.

Titanium Dome
01-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Ian,

That'd be a nice idea, though I wouldn't want to be responsible for it. I'm not sure I could stand to see some of these guys more than once a year. :p (Easy, guys, I'm kidding.)

On a more serious note, I don't think I'd have anyone come to my place, since their cars are likely to be broken into, stolen, vandalized, or stripped while they're immersed in the Performance Series. Also, they might get mugged or shot going to and from their cars. :yes: I'm not kidding about any of this. :no:

OTOH, they might get propositioned for sex, offered inexpensive drugs, or have the chance to buy jewelry, weapons, or other mechandise at a heavy discount. So the neighborhood isn't all bad. :D

Ian Mackenzie
01-27-2006, 12:45 PM
simple solution. http://gprime.net/video.php/trunkmonkey1

JuniorJBL
01-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Ian,

That'd be a nice idea, though I wouldn't want to be responsible for it. I'm not sure I could stand to see some of these guys more than once a year. :p (Easy, guys, I'm kidding.)

On a more serious note, I don't think I'd have anyone come to my place, since their cars are likely to be broken into, stolen, vandalized, or stripped while they're immersed in the Performance Series. Also, they might get mugged or shot going to and from their cars. :yes: I'm not kidding about any of this. :no:

OTOH, they might get propositioned for sex, offered inexpensive drugs, or have the chance to buy jewelry, weapons, or other mechandise at a heavy discount. So the neighborhood isn't all bad. :D

Then how come you still have your JBL's have they not been molested?:blink:

4313B
01-27-2006, 02:49 PM
OTOH, they might get propositioned for sex, offered inexpensive drugs, or have the chance to buy jewelry, weapons, or other mechandise at a heavy discount.What kind of weapons? :hmm: Do they have a menu available?

edgewound
01-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Ian,

. I'm not sure I could stand to see some of these guys more than once a year. :p
OTOH, they might get propositioned for sex, offered inexpensive drugs, or have the chance to buy jewelry, weapons, or other mechandise at a heavy discount. :D

Those are all fine reasons to have the event in the city of Carson.

JuniorJBL
01-27-2006, 03:49 PM
What kind of weapons? :hmm: Do they have a menu available?

The menu is on the rear door of the white van.
:rotfl:

Ian Mackenzie
01-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Just put Giskard out on Nature Stripe Patrol. (in joke)

:argue::bash: :die: :dancin:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

glen
02-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Hi Dome,

It's made me kind of sad to see this thread slide down the list into obscurity.

I just wanted to say thanks for the extraordinary effort you made to try and light a fire under the forum and get something started.

There's lessons to be learned from the attempt that I'm sure will be useful to making something actually happen in the future.

But for going out on a limb, and giving it your best efforts,

a very big THANK YOU!

toddalin
02-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Yes, thanks for the effort! We really appreciate it.

As an alternative, how about those of us in the So Cal area, and any of those wishing to come to the So Cal Area, stage our own open houses.

Say we take a specific month and one weekend, or weekend day/evening, someone could showcase their system(s) for any JH members/family/friends who would wish to, could come see them? It could be a different home each weekend, or could be multiple homes if located in proximity. I'm game and would do an HT evening! I could also put up one or two Nor Cal residents and set some of their stuff up here.:bouncy:

Ian Mackenzie
02-13-2006, 11:23 AM
While not directly involved I already posted that idea and Dome immediate pooh who'd it sighting he was uncomfortable about people visiting his rough neighbourhood. While that may well be the case he unfortunately he didn't consider that other members might want to do this while in fact some already do home visits.

Titanium Dome
02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
While not directly involved I already posted that idea and Dome immediate pooh who'd it sighting he was uncomfortable about people visiting his rough neighbourhood. While that may well be the case he unfortunately he didn't consider that other members might want to do this while in fact some already do home visits.

Ian, in one of these threads we mentioned Steve Schell offering to open his home collection to us. I think toddalin also offered his place. I'm thinking Andresohc might do the same. They all live in good locales.

If that's what folks want to do, that's okay by me. The logistics of it are something different than what I am trying to do. I responded to a number of suggestions early on that recommended a central site, a defined schedule, specific activities, etc.

Never fear; we'll get something worked out. When we do, I hope you're able to make it. If not, maybe we'll put up a Web cam and do a stream over the internet for you and others who'd like to be a part of it.

glen
02-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Well I think Toddalin must live in a nicer neighborhood, and it sounds like a great idea.

Titanium Dome
02-13-2006, 12:11 PM
The menu is on the rear door of the white van.
:rotfl:

Yeah, it looks like an ice cream truck.

toddalin
02-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Well I think Toddalin must live in a nicer neighborhood, and it sounds like a great idea.

I don't know about that. I live beyond the tracks and we can never tell when the next eruption could occur and all He-- breaks loose.;) View is from my front yard.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/bigpic.jpg

Titanium Dome
02-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Then how come you still have your JBL's have they not been molested?:blink:

One nice thing about most of my JBLs is that they're too heavy and bulky for easy removal. Most home invaders want to be in and out in five minutes or less. You really can't hustle a pair of L250s or SVA1800s out the door in five minutes.

Plus, unless you plan to keep them yourself, they're pretty obvious when pawned (or sold on eBay). I suppose if someone really wanted a set of JBLs, he could target my place, but he'd have to have a good idea what he wanted, how he was going to carry it (handtruck, dolly, brute strength?), and what he'd use to take it away from the scene of the crime.

When people break in, they grab coins, jewelry, small consumer electronics, etc. I keep a bowl of coins in an obvious location so it's easy to find; they can dump and go. It's cheap insurance to lose $10-15 bucks and have them feel like they got away with something. This way I generally don't get vandalized by a pissed off crook.

I've actually disposed of a couple of old cell phones this way. I just put them in an easy to find location and eventually they get lifted, along with the coins. Of course they were out of service. ;)

BI or N, we even have a fake jewelry decoy, with a couple of old pieces we picked up at pawn shops and a police auction. For some reason, they don't just dump and run. We've only lost one piece. The rest of it is so cheap they might feel sorry for us.

As you can tell, there's a whole different mindset that helps one cope with living in a tough neighborhood. Absolute security is a pipe dream. Managing risk and potential loss is the name of the game.

As much as I love my JBLs, my electronic gear, and other possessions, the only thing that matters is Huikyong's safety and my own. We have a basic position that everything is expendable except for each other. Once you accept that everything you have is expendable, then it loses its "possession" over you, and you can act with greater freedom.

All in all, it's not as bad as it seems to someone who doesn't live here. :D

edgewound
02-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't know about that. I live beyond the tracks and we can never tell when the next eruption could occur and all He-- breaks loose.;) View is from my front yard.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/bigpic.jpg

Looks like Toddalin lives in Frontierland...:applaud: :thmbsup:

toddalin
02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Fantasy Land!;)

Looks like Toddalin lives in Frontierland...:applaud: :thmbsup:

Magnet3
02-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Fantasy Land!;)

That's what I was thinkin....Fantasyland...:yes:

JBLnsince1959
02-13-2006, 04:42 PM
as long as it's not Never Never Land