PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with older Sansui equipment?

TDIPete
01-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I have an old Sansui AU-717 integrated amp and a matching TU-717 tuner. Both are collecting dust right now as my audio system has matured but I was thinking of reverting back to them and selling the suround-sound receiver to a co-worker.

The last time I used the AU-717 it made scratching noises when I adjusted the volume. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Rolf
01-17-2006, 01:37 AM
The last time I used the AU-717 it made scratching noises when I adjusted the volume. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Open the unit and see if you can locate the pot, and spray it with ... do not know the english word, kind of oil used on electronics.

Rolf.

Audiobeer
01-17-2006, 06:39 AM
The tuner is very exceptional. The amps ar good till they go out. That's when it becomes a challenge getting them repaired. With the schematics in hand it shouldn't be a problem. Some of the techs here maybe able to suggest a cleaner as Rolf has mentioned that is available to you.

10 Watt Street
01-17-2006, 07:02 AM
CAIG deoxIT D5 is recommended for cleaning that volume control. Available at Frys Electronics (locally) or Parts Express (mail order).

TDIPete
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks, guys, for the responses. I'll make a Fry's run in the next few days and get some Deoxit. I'll probably hook up both the tuner and the amp this weekend and see if it all still works. The only bad thing about going with the older equipment is that I lose the remote control. Oh, well, I need the exercise anyway.

So, what is everyone's opinions of the AU-717?

Audiobeer
01-19-2006, 08:51 AM
It's a good amp. No sonic additions good or bad. Bullet proof other than the pots. Has a lot of protective ciruitry. It's a nice amp but nothing to get exited about other than it's looks and build.

10 Watt Street
01-19-2006, 09:35 AM
If you haven't been there already, check out the Sansui forum at AudioKarma:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/

TDIPete
01-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.