PDA

View Full Version : crossover mod

57BELAIRE
01-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Last week there was a wonderful thread (4343mod) about upgrading older factory crossover components to today's technology and materials.

I must admit, I liked everything I read, and now while I've got my N333 out for inspection (no signal to the 077) maybe I should consider making the upgrades.

Not that the L300's sounded bad...but who knows what I may be missing.

The only issue I 've adressed is the originality and since I don't consider the L300 a collector piece (not yet), and I have no plans on selling them anyway...why not?

But back in my mind, I remember "hot-rodding" a couple of Gibson guitars years ago and grew to regret it . Today they'd be highly collectible:banghead:

Any thoughts?

Also, I was very lucky to have been able to remove enough of the foilcal to get at that last screw underneath without damaging it. I took one of those snap-off box cutter razor blades and tapped it with a golf tee so as not scratch the baffle. I used a clothes iron to heat the glue under the foilcal .

Ian Mackenzie
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
If you search around its been done before.

The usual rules apply, bypass with small values of capacitors like Theta, be careful of inductor DCR values.

Mail it off to Giskard if in doubt and if he is kind enough to look at it.

There was a while back a very good upgrade article in Speaker Builder on the L300. It would be worth getting a back issue .

(Personally I would shove a nice 0.5 cuft3 sub box on top for a 2122H, buy a 2307 horn and build a 3145 equivalent network if you are looking for an appreciable improvement)