PDA

View Full Version : 077

Domino
01-15-2006, 04:23 PM
How do you disassemble a 077 tweeter for a diaphram replacement?

speakerdave
01-16-2006, 10:49 AM
The question suggests it might be better to hire a pro.

David

norealtalent
01-16-2006, 10:52 AM
The question suggests it might be better to hire a pro.

David
Funny, I thought "VERY carefully.":bouncy:

4313B
01-16-2006, 11:08 AM
How do you disassemble a 077 tweeter for a diaphram replacement?I took apart my first 077 when I was 15 because I wanted to see just what an ultra high frequency slot loaded ring radiator looked like disassembled. Yes, the fact that is cost me so much money and that it was in perfectly good working order did almost prevent me from doing it but curiosity prevailed. Simply forge ahead. Take off the foilcal and unscrew every screw you can find. :p

Correct reassembly is another matter...

Hope this helps :)

Flodstroem
01-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Domino

How do you disassemble a 077 tweeter for a diaphram replacement?

Unscrew all 4 screws facing front at the bracket. Lift the horn right off.
Next, use a sharp and thin knife and cut the glue off under the plate at the rear of the speaker. take the sign/plate of, be careful not to bend it and you will have problem when gluing it back to place.
Under this plate you will find a brass screw holding the prism and center of diaphragm in place at the center of magnet.
Next: unsolder the two thin Cu-leads from the two speaker connectors and lift the diaph. right of the magnet.
Before mounting new diaph. be careful and clean the magnetic gap thoroughly before putting new diaph. in place (search forum for details regarding this issue). Also check and tighten loose screws at the speaker connectors. Mount screws in reversal order. Check sound on new speaker before gluing the plate at the rear of speaker.
Good luck
Regards

4313B
01-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Don't forget to check the DCR of the replacement diaphragm to ensure it is "good" - 5.7 to 6.7 ohms. Also check the replacement coil and remove any gunk that might be on it. Don't forget your frequency sweep after reassembly either. The test network for the 2402, 2403, 2404, and 2405 and their consumer equivalents consists of a 1.5 uF series capacitor followed by a 0.6 mH parallel choke. 7 volts in from 1 kHz to 3 kHz.

Robh3606
01-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Before you take it apart make sure you have the proper alignment on the phase plug so you can put get it back where it belongs. Do not let the plug turn at all when you go to tighten the screw that hold it in place or you will destroy the new diaphram. Watch the torgue as well. You can crack the clear plastic plug if you tighten it too hard.

Rob:)

norealtalent
01-16-2006, 03:06 PM
You guys got more patience than me today.:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Domino
01-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks for all of your help!

timc
01-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi.

Im considering buying new Diaphragm to my 077 tweeters. Dunno if its nesescary,but.

Should i go for an original aftermarket type, or a new clone? Is there a big difference?

Theres a huge price difference at least.

Tim

Mr. Widget
01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Im considering buying new Diaphragm to my 077 tweeters....

Should i go for an original aftermarket type, or a new clone?We ended up with one hell of an ugly thread recently discussing aftermarket clones vs. original JBL parts. Some people prefer saving money and some people like quality and are willing to pay for it.

I would recommend you use JBL parts and have a factory trained tech install them. The JBL ring radiators are a little tricky to do correctly. It should cost about $100 to get the proper diaphragm and have it professionally installed. That seems pretty reasonable to me to be able to have a brand new JBL tweeter... or you can buy a piece of unknown quality and botch the install job.

It's up to you.

Widget

glen
01-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Do not let the plug turn at all when you go to tighten the screw that hold it in place or you will destroy the new diaphram.
Rob:)
I never tried it, but always wondered...
Would it be safer to tighten that central phase plug screw FIRST?
If it doesn't slip, then go ahead and make your other connections.
If it DOES slip a bit there might be a little better chance of the diaphram surviving for a second try?
What do you guys with real experience say?

Mr. Widget
01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I never tried it, but always wondered...
Would it be safer to tighten that central phase plug screw FIRST?

What do you guys with real experience say?Once the diaphragm is centered you do tighten it first... but as you tighten the screw it is easy for the plug to slip... I have seen quite a few examples of botched jobs with the tell tale ripples in the diaphragms.

Widget

timc
01-17-2007, 02:05 AM
We ended up with one hell of an ugly thread recently discussing aftermarket clones vs. original JBL parts. Some people prefer saving money and some people like quality and are willing to pay for it.

I would recommend you use JBL parts and have a factory trained tech install them. The JBL ring radiators are a little tricky to do correctly. It should cost about $100 to get the proper diaphragm and have it professionally installed. That seems pretty reasonable to me to be able to have a brand new JBL tweeter... or you can buy a piece of unknown quality and botch the install job.

It's up to you.

Widget

Ok. Ill go for an original when the time comes :)

Thanks for the reply.

Best regards Tim