PDA

View Full Version : Buying JBL:s...need advice!

carlgeorg
01-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi!

I have three very big questions:
* Which JBL-model would you recommend for home-use (mainly rock & blues-music) - I'm looking for power and bottom, but not so overpowering that the musical experience will suffer. If possible list big and more moderate sized models (I've heard good things abot L112:s , 166:s, 200:s and 300:s - is the XPL200 even close?)
* What american-made classic amplifier and model would be a very good choice for vintage JBL-speakers like these? (Mcintosh? Ampzilla? GAS?)
*Could you - finally - give me some recommendation for what to pay for your particular choices?

It's a audiojungle out there - any help would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,:)

GC

Zilch
01-14-2006, 07:46 PM
HUH?

4430, of course.

$1200 - $2000 per pair, depending on condition.

Drive 'em with JBL 6260 amp, $150 - $200.

OR, build yer own.... ;)

carlgeorg
01-14-2006, 07:56 PM
4430, OK, but what about the smaller JBL models?

Best,

G.

johnaec
01-14-2006, 08:02 PM
4430, OK, but what about the smaller JBL models?The 4425 would be similar, only smaller. Or the L100T, (not plain L100 - 'completely different animal!). The L100T has the same 12" LF as the 4425. L100T's usually go on eBay for ~$400 and are an exceptional bargain!

The XPL200 is also considered to be an excellent speaker, though somewhat rare, (and somewhat expensive).

John

norealtalent
01-14-2006, 08:06 PM

Best,

G.

250ti, L300, 4343. JBL made smaller speakers? For what? :dont-know All joking aside, if you want a great sounding smaller JBL, pickup some 4412's for a test run. :bouncy:

jim3860
01-14-2006, 08:19 PM

Best,

G. Every one here is going to have an opinion on what sounds best to them, you need to narrow your choices down a lil. How much do you have to spend? how much room do you have? is there a WAF? do you want classic JBL? do you want newer speakers? How big is your room? do you like ss amps? or Tube amps? do you like horns? or traditional driver cone sound? personally i like for a smaller speaker L80T3. Amp i am using for them is a Altec lansing 9440 Alpha pro amp. btw I would love to have a pair of 4330s :p I dont have the room for them though:( oh $200.00 to $ 400.00 is average for L80t3s

analogbass
01-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Your questions are detailed, but unless you're willing to go the extra mile and actually demo several pairs, I'd suggest that with quite reasonable prices for the most part, and sound that is more similar than different, you jump in after looking at criteria other than sound-price, value, dimensions, etc. As far as appearance, dimensions and weight, there's info on this site. Prices available via Ebay & Audiogon.

Studio:
4410/4411/4412/4425/4315
The studio versions are generally smaller in size. The home equivalents listed below offer even better value in that they're virtually the same speaker, but are lower in price. On the other hand, their dimensions are greater.

Home:
Variations of studio monitors-sound very similar or the same-are better value in that prices are somewhat lower, but are generally bigger, take up more room.
L80t3/L100t3
250ti-marginally better to some, but more money.

As far as amps, assessments vary widely and are relative. Worth experimenting with several amps over time.

Don C
01-14-2006, 11:56 PM
I have heard those S-310s, but it was just in Best Buy. I prefered the S-38 on a direct comparison. The smaller S-38s actually seemed to have better bass. Probably due to positioning, as the s-38s were on a shelf, back to the wall, and the s-310s were on the floor, pulled out a bit into the room. But still at that price, they are quite a deal. I don't see how you can go wrong. I haven't heard anything to match them for close to that price. If I needed speakers in that price range I'd certainly go for it. Be aware that the cabinets are covered with vinyl that looks pretty cheesy up close.

carlgeorg
01-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanx!
Great with all this input.
Nobody has mentioned L65, L112 or L166 - are not considered as good as 100T for instance by JBL-fans?
And what about JBL + McIntosh/GAS/Ampzilla etc?

Thanx again, best;

G.

jim3860
01-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Thanx!
Great with all this input.
Nobody has mentioned L65, L112 or L166 - are not considered as good as 100T for instance by JBL-fans?
And what about JBL + McIntosh/GAS/Ampzilla etc?

Thanx again, best;

G. L112s are nice speakers I have owned a pair of those very flat response with the 12" woofer. They will not play as loud as or as deep as the L100t though. if you are looking for most bang for the buck L80t - L8ot3- L100t-L100t3 models are hard to beat. and yes mc-gas- ampzilla Amplifiers will make jbls sound good. The speakers will respond accordingly to what what you drive them with. For exampe I was using a sony da5es receiver with my L100ts they sounded good it was a $1500.00 receiver upper mid level for the es line. I bought a altec 9440A amp made in 1975 30 years old. $3000.00 retail then. I hooked it up to the preouts on the sony. then to my L100ts. popped in a Roger Waters live in portland dvd. It came to LIFE i heard details that sounded muffled before, The bass improved dramatically. I wanted to sit and play all my albums then, it was like getting new speakers:p point is Jbls are VERY NICE speakers they will sound as good as the material being transmitted to them, And are truly a bargain:applaud: The rest is up to you decide on a budget listen to as many models as you can. Then rock on :rockon2: :band:

Titanium Dome
01-15-2006, 06:40 AM
OK, going in another direction: let's assume all the recommendations so far are good, because they are. After all I own 4430s (very good two-ways, better with a sub), XPL160s (pretty good three-ways, with an added 12" sub per side maybe better than the XPL200s), L250s (excellent four-ways). The two things they have in common is they're all JBLs, and they're all 15 years old or older.

If you'd like to consider speakers that are ten years old or less, then read on.

One of the better models is the L7 (or the next step down, the L5). This is a big four-way speaker with a medium-sized foot print, and it'll rock you all night long. Be warned, however, that it's not a simple plug and play speaker. You'll actually need to read the manual and take some time to set it up. Once set, you'll be in modern music heaven. No sub needed.

A powerful line up with a different voice is the SVA Series, usually quite a bargain. The SVA1800 or SVA2100 will stun small animals at high volumes. It's a two-way, horn-based consumer product with dual woofers, and it benefits if you give it a powerful sub as a companion (for any info below 32 Hz). Even without a sub, it's a rock 'n' roll killer, since rock doesn't really deal in ultra low frequencies all that much. These bad boys will get right in your face. They have a lower profile but a bigger footprint than the L7s.

The older Studio Series consumer line (late 90s, early 00s) is a pretty good bet as mentioned earlier by Don. It's not quite the equal of the two above mentioned lines, but worth considering among more modern JBLs, as is the current Northridge E Series. I'd consider both lines as good bang for the buck, but ultimately they are stepping stones in the JBL universe.

My current favorite R'n'R speaker is also my favorite HT speaker, and that's the stacked Performance Series tower (PT800 tower on top of PS1400 powered sub). It's got it all, but pretty much at full price unless you luck into some on ebay or AudiogoN. IMO it will beat any normal consumer speaker ever made by JBL. By writing "normal" I'm excluding the Everest and K2 lines, of course, at thousands of dollars each. It's got a deceiving profile and footprint; it looks smaller than it is.

One other contender is the new Array Series, which looks to be a great horn-based line. Alas, I haven't heard it yet...so no recommendation yet. It looks realy promising, though.

Good luck.

norealtalent
01-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Where are you? I would suggest listening to some JBL's before making a decision. There are many of us here who just LOVE to audition our toys for just about anybody. I'd dare say most of us have a few different pair you could audition in one sitting. :bouncy:

toddalin
01-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't know where you are, but there is a local place that sells used pro equipment and they have what look to be a nice pair of 4412's for $400/pr. (I keep thinking of buying them and using my existing L112's for front and rear surrounds to replace my four 10" 3-way Cerwin Vegas.)

edgewound
01-15-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't know where you are, but there is a local place that sells used pro equipment and they have what look to be a nice pair of 4412's for $400/pr. (I keep thinking of buying them and using my existing L112's for front and rear surrounds to replace my four 10" 3-way Cerwin Vegas.)

In the moderate size dept., the 4412 would probably make any music lover happy.....and all the parts are still available should you party a little too hard with them. BTW....so are all the parts for the L100t(t3), L80t, etc. The L112, and 4411 are great speakers, but the 044 tweeter diaphragm is no longer available from the factory, so you might want to consider this when looking.

carlgeorg
01-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanx!

I'm in Washington DC, any JBL-fan arond here who would be willing to let me listen in are very velcome to contact me.

Another two questions:
* How well do the old famous JBL:s like L-300 and the 43- and 44-series match modern american and british speakers?
* What is the "lifeexpectancy" of the old JBL-speakers? Do the last forever - with re-coning/foaming?

Best,

G.

hjames
01-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Couple of thoughts ...
I have a pair of L36 Decade speakers I bought in Wheaton, MD around 1976.
(a 3 way system with 10" woofers). I redid the form surround on the woofers a few years ago, but they sound very nice - extremely nice for 30 year old speakers.

Second thought is to figure what kind of budget you have for your speakers, if you do go for the older models. Its nice to make plans to buy a set of L300s for under a grand - but the likelyhood of that is slim.. without a huge dose of luck.

If you look at it as a long term investment in sound, it may help ...

Heather

analogbass
01-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Now you have the info and low-cost options to jump right in.

$400 for those 4412 mentioned is an excellent deal and good intro to JBL. L80t3s & L100t3s at around the same price or lower are also very good value.

carlgeorg
01-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi,

Hmm, lots of good information.
I'm ready to spend up to 2000 - 2500 dollars for the right speakers - so I guess that could include even L-300s, with some luck?
What I'm really trying to figure out is what would be - in pros like yours opinion- the ultimate combination of power/"muscles" and money in this pricerange...

:)
Best,

G.

speakerdave
01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
replace my four 10" 3-way Cerwin Vegas
:applaud:

Titanium Dome
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi,

Hmm, lots of good information.
I'm ready to spend up to 2000 - 2500 dollars for the right speakers - so I guess that could include even L-300s, with some luck?
What I'm really trying to figure out is what would be - in pros like yours opinion- the ultimate combination of power/"muscles" and money in this pricerange...

Best,

G.
Now we have an upper price range.

So then physical size is not much of a concern? Are there any limits as to size or appearance? By appearance I mean how it looks in a family environment rather than if it's in good or bad shape.

norealtalent
01-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanx!

I'm in Washington DC, any JBL-fan arond here who would be willing to let me listen in are very velcome to contact me.

Another two questions:
* How well do the old famous JBL:s like L-300 and the 43- and 44-series match modern american and british speakers?
* What is the "lifeexpectancy" of the old JBL-speakers? Do the last forever - with re-coning/foaming?

Best,

G.

JBL's don't match up to anything, they beat up EVERYTHING!
Life expectancy is up to the user. Properly cared for they'll outlast all of us :D.
I'm 4 or 5 hours away but I guarantee a visit will get you an ear full!:bouncy:

carlgeorg
01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi again!

I'm OK even with big speakers, but the fact that I will use them in my home is obviously a concern - very few people like their livingroom to turn in to a PA-system...

Another question: What is the main difference soundwise between the 43/44-series and the L-300?
From what I know was the 300 a "civilised", nicelooking, version of the studiomonitors. And how does the L-65 match the 4412?

Thanks for your patience....

Best,

G.

JuniorJBL
01-17-2006, 08:52 PM
My vote would be 250Ti's. Very well behaved and can really kick you in the @ss if you have the need;)

They also can be had in good shape for about 1500-2000

Titanium Dome
01-17-2006, 09:31 PM
My vote would be 250Ti's. Very well behaved and can really kick you in the @ss if you have the need;)

They also can be had in good shape for about 1500-2000

That's a good recommendation. Hard to go wrong.

OR spend more: If you want new, then the next logical step is the Performance Series stack (PT800 + PS1400 refurbs), two of which will cost you 2X the used 250Tis. You get those luscious Ti drivers (1", 4", 8") and the LE14H-3, plus a couple of 400W sub amps.

rlb
01-18-2006, 12:34 PM
You also might consider the LSR 6332. I actually prefer them over the performance series. I picked up a pair new for 1900. I also got a pair of LSR 32 on e-bay for 1100. I use them as 4 surround mains. At some point I will add 1 more as a center. You really can't go wrong with any of the above suggestions, just my $.02

QwertyAccess
01-19-2006, 08:03 PM
I don't know where you are, but there is a local place that sells used pro equipment and they have what look to be a nice pair of 4412's for $400/pr. (I keep thinking of buying them and using my existing L112's for front and rear surrounds to replace my four 10" 3-way Cerwin Vegas.) I'm curious where this local place is :o, i live not far from Orange Country, just got into speakers recently and just browsing around :D

dllyons
01-21-2006, 09:02 AM
though I've never heard them, my wife's boss has a pair of L7's with the shiny black piano fiinish for sale. Knowing him, I'll bet they're in pristine conditin. If you've never seen a pair, here's a current eBay listing for a pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-High-End-L7-R7-Floor-Standing-Speakers-Loud-Clear_W0QQitemZ5855922429QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We're in Zanesville, Oh., just east of Columbus on I-70, about 6 or 7 hours from DC. if you're driving nearby, stop in. You can listen to my L100's and L300's while you're here :) Speakerman lives on the eastside of Columbus, he'd probably let ya audition his 4430's too.

Titanium Dome
01-21-2006, 10:31 AM
though I've never heard them, my wife's boss has a pair of L7's with the shiny black piano fiinish for sale. Knowing him, I'll bet they're in pristine conditin. If you've never seen a pair, here's a current eBay listing for a pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-High-End-L7-R7-Floor-Standing-Speakers-Loud-Clear_W0QQitemZ5855922429QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(snip)

That guy's got the wrong specs for the L7. I guess I'll let him know.

JBLnsince1959
01-21-2006, 02:33 PM
You also might consider the LSR 6332. I actually prefer them over the performance series.

what is it you prefer. How would you compare the two speakers.

analogbass
01-21-2006, 05:28 PM
No idea what he's talking 'bout..too much free time (again)..:blah:

rlb
01-22-2006, 07:43 PM
what is it you prefer. How would you compare the two speakers.
To my ears, the 6332's are more detailed. They are the latest 12 inch, 3 way monitor and fit right in with the great ones of the past. The performance series seems like an upgraded studio series. They sounded slightly muffled to me. I think the performance series look better in a home enviroment, and I admit my living room looks like a recording studio. Of course, many years of playing drums may have dulled my ears a little.:D