PDA

View Full Version : LE5-2 vs 104H-2

Rusnzha
01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
I saw some 104h-2s on ePay and was curious how they would sound in my L100s. I finally let them go, but remain curious. I wouldn't change the woofers because they are mostly responsible for the L100 sounding the way it does, but what about the mids and the tweets? I would like to fool around with this and hope to know a little more next time around, thanks!

Nightbrace
01-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Try the L36 tweeters and mids with the L100's, to this day that was the best sounding bookshelf speaker I ever heard.

Nightbrace
01-12-2006, 10:26 PM
FYI, its the crossover more than anything in these speakers that make them sparkle. The drivers aren't too shabby either, I don't think any one driver is better than another, they all work exceptionally well with each other and the way the crossover is set up in stock form . Many do prefer the original Alnico drivers, but to me the L36 mids and tweeters are definitely worthwhile but only if you like the current sound of the speakers. If you don't like the way the speakers sound now, the L36 mids and tweets only improve upon whats there already, they don't make them sound less bright, or smoother, just a bit more detailed and vivid./ If the speakers function great as is I would leave them. If you need to replace drivers, or are missing drivers, go with the L36 mids and tweets, and the original woofers from the L100's/ They should be fantastic. Plus the L36 drivers can be had for nearly $120 for all 4! Less than some are charging for 1 LE5-2 mid.

Rusnzha
01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have always loved the sound of the L100 right out of the box. Since hanging around on Lansing Heritage, my curosity about things JBL has grown by leaps and bounds. I already have the LE25-2 tweeters and noticed some improvement there. I let the 104h-2s on epay get away, because I am partial to the alnico mids. I also built charge coupled crossovers using Solens for the main caps and bypassed them with audiocaps. I had no idea that improving the crossover could make such a difference. They still sound like 100s, but cleaner, tighter and more transparent. I can't imagine them sounding much better, but my efforts have been so rewarding that I will probably continue to try things. If it doesn't work out, I can always sell the stuff.

Anthony L100
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't change the woofers because they are mostly responsible for the L100 sounding the way it does, but what about the mids and the tweets?

IMHO it is also the LE5-2 mids that characterize the L100 "sound":D If you love the way the L100 sounds as stock, I think going with 104H-2s may be a bad move, still, you can always slip the old units back in! Good luck!

Nightbrace
01-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I love the mods you did, I have done similiar mods to my crossovers which started off as L100a's/ Since the speakers are already modded, the LE5-6's will really make these speakers sing and would work even better given that you already changed the tweeters, its a no brainer. Just don't bid on the ones I'm getting for my Infinties, :), my SN on Ebay is scott1019. The LE5-8/10/12's would also work just as good. The AlNiCo magnet material makes little difference, at least to me, the main difference is the cone design which gives more articulation and crispness to transient notes. And you could always sell the LE5-2's on Ebay for probably $120 a pair.

I am happy to see that you understand how important the crossover is, most don't even consider it. If you liked the stock form L100's, I'd find a stock set of them and build these how you prefer, they work fantastic for older recordings. In stock form they have a realness to them that is undescribable at times. This is especially true when played with the proper tube gear. I have yet to figure it out, but the Alnico drivers are a bit different sounding when coupled with certain tube amps. Its like the planets all align just right with the Alnico drivers. I can recommend a few amps for you if you are interested in going down the AlNiCo road in the future, but for now, any great amp will work great with the set-up you have.

I myself still listen to my good 'ol L36's in stock form, I love them. I have had L100's, but after I swapped the L36 mids and tweets into them, I thought to myself, hmm the L36's should sound just as good. I do miss the larger bass volumes that the 123A-1 woofers had compared to the 127H's, but I really wanted to have a set of speakers in stock form. The crossovers were a bit different though, but the L36's still sound amazing. I to this day still prefer the simple yet effective crossover design of the L100a's for a bookshelf speaker/montior configuration over anything that JBL has ever made in its stock form. I am still looking for a set of L100a's if the price is right to use with my Sansui G-5000 and Technics turntable.
Let me know what you decide.

Rusnzha
01-13-2006, 05:08 PM
I agree with you about the L36s, they are very nice:rockon2:. Anything in that L16, 26, 36 series sounds better than most of what is out there, old and new. I recently got a Mac 1900 receiver to use with my 100s. I love the tone from this set up. I'm in no hurry to change anything, but if I see the -6 or similar mids someplace, I'm sure my curiosity will get the best of me. Knowing what kind of amp I'm using, what direction would you go in?

Nightbrace
01-14-2006, 02:11 AM
I've never been to big of a fan of the Mac receivers for the money, their tuners are fairly impressive, but their amps are not DC. Irregardless the Le5-6's will be a great improvement. Try it.

Rusnzha
01-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks, I will try this sometime down the road. What do you think of this reciever?

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-CR-2040-WARM-TUBE-SOUND-MCINTOSH-MARANTZ-SCOTT_W0QQitemZ5852148489QQcategoryZ39791QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know if it's DC, but I used to really covet these. Any recomendations on amps would be appreciated. As good as the Mac sounds, if there's something better that's affordable, selling it would not be a problem.

Nightbrace
01-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Its not that its a bad amp, but its just a personal preference. It has a very lush and warm sound. Very similiar to a Marantz. I'd go with a Pioneer from the SX-780-1080 line-up. These are the best bang for the buck receivers on the planet. The 780 can be found for under $100, and the rest are about $50 more as you go up in the lineup, but the SX-780 is all the power you need and I truly think its the best receiver in the world that can be gotten for less than $100. I personally use the SX-737, but have yet to detemine if it is DC, the frequency response would say that it is, but its not too clear from the schematics. I am personally using this receiver with my L36's and it works beautifully, very articulate. If you like the blackked out Blue lighted style, this would be another great unit. A Marantz that will perform very similiarly to the Mac is a Marantz in the 2226, 2238, 2252, 2285 series, these are all DC and will be very warm sounding while not sacrificing the detail presented by the Pioneer. I personally own a Marantz 2226, it sounds great. Sansui also made some great DC amps in the G series. And their integrated amps were mostly all DC after 1977. And if you want a fantastic tuner, look no further than SAnsui, they are amounst the best ever, again after 1977, pre- 1981. Yamaha to my knowledge are not DC, but they too sound fantastic, its all a personal preference, but I do think Mac is a bit overpriced compared to other brands.

Rusnzha
01-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for sharing your insights into these things. I will come back here and let you know what happens when I try some of these variations.