PDA

View Full Version : JBL drivers as car speakers?

Nightbrace
01-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I am considering using the 10" woofers from my L36 cabinets for my car stereo, would this be worthwhile?

louped garouv
01-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I have seen ppl use TAD HF drivers in cars, so why not JBL?

Rolf
01-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I am considering using the 10" woofers from my L36 cabinets for my car stereo, would this be worthwhile?

That has been done for years man, with many different JBL speakers. I have even seen 375!! :eek: used in a car. If you are into car sound, go for it.

Rolf

kingjames
01-12-2006, 05:39 PM
I would use 12"'s as they are more efficient than a 10's. Just my thoughts!

norealtalent
01-12-2006, 07:54 PM
I'd just stay home if there weren't JBL's in my car!!!:D

pelly3s
01-12-2006, 08:21 PM
i personally wouldnt use a home driver in a car that is a daily driver only because you are going to put that speaker through a lot of abuse with temp changes and it bouncing around. Just use the JBL car stuff for the right money you can get some kill gear

Rolf
01-13-2006, 02:29 AM
i personally wouldnt use a home driver in a car that is a daily driver only because you are going to put that speaker through a lot of abuse with temp changes and it bouncing around. Just use the JBL car stuff for the right money you can get some kill gear

I agree, but the car-fi entusiasts don't care....:blink:

Rolf

Jakeisuseless
01-13-2006, 02:30 AM
I've thought about this as well. I want to run my spare 122A as sub.... I havn't really bother to research that concept. It's really just being cheap of me, not wanting to buy a sub.... but I'm a poor college student.

Sidenote, about the people who appear to not care about car-audio.... Doesn't it bother you to go from your JBL's at home to piss poor car audio? Do you not think that it matters? If you don't, then does it really matter in your home also?

pelly3s
01-13-2006, 06:12 AM
I used to be big into car audio but at the time being i cant afford it because I keep buying stuff for home. I hate getting in my car and knowing that its not gonna sound anywhere near as good

Maron Horonzakz
01-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Nitebrace....I see you will be a early candidate for a chochlear ear transplant. Not smart.;)

norealtalent
01-13-2006, 09:17 AM
I used to care about what was in my car enough to put something in there. Now I have home equipment that can NEVER begin to be equated by ANY car system. I have tunes in all my vehicles. When I want music, I stay home!:bouncy:

louped garouv
01-13-2006, 09:24 AM
I've seen some bad assed car systems.... :blink:

briang
01-13-2006, 09:28 AM

Sure. Not as durable as the Automotive gear though.

FWIW, I remember going to the Minneapolis Auto Show in the spring of 1986 and seeing at a "specialty booth", a Dodge Daytona-Z with four LE10H-1 woofers used as the subwoofer (back seat removed)...at the time, that was a pretty radical install.

Rolf
01-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Doesn't it bother you to go from your JBL's at home to piss poor car audio? Do you not think that it matters? If you don't, then does it really matter in your home also?

The last first. Yes it matters, but not enough to make me spend $10.000 in each of our cars. That is one of the reasons why I never play CD's in my car. The other reason is that the CD's used in the cars is burned. My wife play CD's. I will not tolerate the original CD's in our cars. I had original CD's in the car some years ago, and they always end up not working. Even with a cd changes, so now I listen to a good radio channel when I drive.

Then the first last. In a way it bothers me. But I have concluded with that this is the way things are, so I can live with it.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Rolf

spkrman57
01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
When I listen to music I tend to tune everything else out and that would be dangerous for me when I travel on the roads.

Of course I can't chew gum and walk at the same time:p

I do love listening to my home stereo and then getting into my truck and realize how nice my home audio systems sound:applaud:

I also like to hear if my engine or other parts of my truck have probems and with a nice audio system that would be missed.

Not meaning to be a spoil sport, but my truck is for transportation and I really need to pay attention to the road at my age(early senior moments!)

Ron:blink:

Titanium Dome
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Car audio is a different, wonderful world of its own.

My Kia Sorento is equipped with JBL 8", 6.5", and 4" drivers, as well as--wait for it--wait for it---two component Ti tweeters! All driven by JBL amps for a cool kiloW of power. Oh yeah, JBL 12" subs, too.

JBL autosound is class leading and an excellent value. The automobile is like one huge internal speaker enclosure. Think about it. If you were to sit inside your L300 and all the drivers faced inward, would it change how you think about the drivers you used and their placement?

If you want great auto sound, generally I'd recommend JBL's excellent, purpose-developed auto components. They're hard to beat.

(I will admit during leaner days to dropping a pair of L50s, enclosures and all, in the cargo area of my IH Scout. For what it was, it sounded great, but when I could afford real car gear, it was evident how bad home components were in that application.)

JonathanKeehn
01-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Installing JBL drivers in your car seems like a great idea, as long as you aren't in a climate that has wide temperature swings or is near salt air. The problem I see is that having tranducers that can easily produce 105 dB to 120 dB SPL's could be a very strong driving distraction and greatly reduce one's situational awareness. I have thought about upgrading the mediocre speakers and amplifier in my BMW but have decided not to for safety reasons, especially at speed. I usually listen to the car audio at less than 90 dB SPL. At home I like to listen at 105 to 110 dB for short periods. My teenage neighbor across the street has and Audi with a killer sound system ... and has had several accidents. Something to consider.

GordonW
01-13-2006, 11:33 AM
A 125A or 127H (10" as used L26, L36, L40, etc) will work quite well as a trunk-mounted "infinite baffle" woofer in a car. Qts and Vas is high enough, that they'll load up pretty well in a small-car trunk, when mounted in the rear package tray. Otherwise, you'll have a hard time getting enough enclosure volume, to avoid excessive midbass boom.

However, I'd be more inclined to use a 12" driver such as a 123A from the L100/4311. More cone area, longer excursion, higher Q. Also, the cones will hold up better in a car environment... I've heard these mounted in IB in a car, and they were pretty impressive.

Regards,
Gordon.

Nightbrace
01-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Wow I really started a great line of dialouge here. Is there anything I can do to treat the cones to make them more immune to temperature changes as well as the frames? Maybe just paint them? I only have room for 10" woofers in my trunk, and hate listening to the boomy subwoofers that are sold at Circuit SHitty and Worst Buy. What 3.5"er's wil work well? FYI, I want to put these in a 1985 monte carlo.

johnaec
01-14-2006, 07:13 AM
10"? You'll only need one of these, and it's specifically made for cars - JBL W10GTI:

John

Titanium Dome
01-14-2006, 07:52 AM
10"? You'll only need one of these, and it's specifically made for cars - JBL W10GTI:

John

Or are you just glad to see me?

JonathanKeehn
01-14-2006, 09:11 AM
I have had several car audio speaker failures over the years and if my memory is correct, each of them has been related to the flexible lead from the terminals to the voice coil opening up from corrosion - presumably from road salt used in the Chicago area during the winter driving season. I'm guessing that the salt dries and is stirred up by driving and the white cloud of salt particles corrodes the door speakers over time. I suspect that newer cars with cabin air filter elements might reduce this problem. The other problems seem to be voice coil alignment issues caused by cone and suspension warping due to heat and humidity. You might contact some high-end pro installers in your area for their thoughts and recommendations. For at least the low frequency drivers, JBL's car audio line may be the best bet, as they are designed for the hostile envionrment of mobile audio.

jbl4435
01-14-2006, 11:01 AM
I agree that drivers for home use may not last in the car enviroment. But, then again, just how long do we keep most cars? In 1982 I bought some Alpine equipment and JBL auto speakers. I was suprised at the number of people that said my car system sounded better than their home system. They were truly amazed. The JBL's were not all that expensive either. Most of the money was in the Alpine units. That was however, before car audio took off.

Hugh

JBL Speaks The Truth

morbo!
01-17-2006, 09:28 PM
A big assed inverter
a home amp
a set of house speakers (preferablly jbl)
That would have to push the air around a car
u might have to buy a van though