PDA

View Full Version : Athena S99

kingjames
01-12-2006, 03:08 PM
There is a pair of Athena S99's on ebay and I emailed the guy asking how were the Lansalloy surrounds,if they were stiff or cracking. he said they were smooth and flexible. Is it possible that the surrounds are not stiff being from the 60's or 70's? I have never seen a pair that wasn't stiff or cracking. What do you think?

Rolf
01-12-2006, 03:15 PM
There is a pair of Althena S99's on ebay and I emailed the guy asking how were the Lansalloy surrounds,if they were stiff or cracking. he said they were smooth and flexible. Is it possible that the surrounds are not stiff being from the 60's or 70's? I have never seen a pair that wasn't stiff or cracking. What do you think?

Sounds strange. Don't know that speaker, (does it have foam?) but most speaker elements with foam will need re-cone/re-foam after about 20 years.

Rolf

Titanium Dome
01-12-2006, 03:37 PM
There is a pair of Althena S99's on ebay and I emailed the guy asking how were the Lansalloy surrounds,if they were stiff or cracking. he said they were smooth and flexible. Is it possible that the surrounds are not stiff being from the 60's or 70's? I have never seen a pair that wasn't stiff or cracking. What do you think?

Nevertheless it'd be unusual for any Lansaloy surround to be as supple as it was intended to be after all this time. There's a reason it was discontinued. I'd have to say even if it hasn't cracked yet, it's got to be stiffer than my ex-wife's lab... :shock: Oops! Never mind. :spchless:

Titanium Dome
01-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Also, beware of the brake fluid treatment that might be used to soften them up temporarily. It a very temporary fix, and it can create other nuisances, such as staining and smells. :scold:

kingjames
01-12-2006, 03:47 PM
I have added the listing and corrected the spelling to read Athena S99 sorry!
Isin't this lansalloy surrounds?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-ATHENA-S99-VINTAGE-ORIGINAL-FANTASTIC-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ5852162957QQcategoryZ61381QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

JohnK
01-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I have some LE10s with Lans-a-loy surrounds that are still supple, perhaps not
as soft as when new, but not bad. On the other hand, I have some later L40 10's with totally disintegrated foam surrounds and foam blocks behind the grille cloth.

johnaec
01-12-2006, 04:26 PM
It looks like at least one of the tweeters has been out of the cabinet, (missing beauty ring).

I'll let my pair of S-99's go for $200, and I'm sure the lansaloy isn't any worse...

John

Phil Ivkovich
01-12-2006, 06:00 PM
They just sold at an estate sale for $200.00. I talked to the original owner and he said that they were in storage for many years. Also he had the tweeter changed said he heard something but that did not fix it. I told him that $200. was too much because they would need surrounds if you were going to use them.